- Create a new branch for the release
- svn copy amsn from trunk to branch directory
- Update credits in README, in case someone is missing (in branch)
- Update Changelog/TODO file (and maybe Wiki too) (in branch)
- Update $version, $date, $rcversion variables at the beginning of "amsn" file. (in branch)
- Inside configure.ac, update APPSTABLE from no to yes and change version. (in branch)
- Edit autopackage version
- Do an autoreconf (in branch)
- Make sure the binaries for TkCximage? and Webcamsn, for Windows (DLL) and Mac OS X (.dylib) are updated (in branch)
- Commit all changes to the branch
- Make sure language maintainers had a one week notice to translate everyhing and tell them the official deadline.
- Make sure all pending languages are processed.
- Create a tag directory for the version
- svn copy amsn from branch to tag directory
- Do a: svn export to have a clean copy of the SVN (without .svn/ folders or extra files)
- Add shipped skins (at the moment, default one, and Dark Matter 4 and Oxygen) from amsn-extras to skins/.
- Test everything runs fine
- Tar-gzip the msn/ folder, removing any unnecessary extras. (Shouldn't be any). As some kind of "standard" in the gnu world, if the tar.gz is amsn-0.98.tar.gz, the folder inside must be called amsn-0.98.
- Ask packagers to create amsn packages:
- Upload file to Sourceforge file release system (FRS): https://sourceforge.net/project/admin/explorer.php?group_id=54091
- Add a new file release in the SourceForge File Release System
- Wait for Sourceforge mirrors to get synced
- Edit download links in trunk/www, 3 links in download.php, 1 in index.php and 6 in linux-downloads.php.
- Add a piece of news to the website.
- Update "amsn_latest" file in trunk/www to reflect the new version
- Update the IRC channel topic and the bot's response for 'amsn version' ('amsn download' and 'amsn release' are both '<reply> see version' so they'll be updated at the same time.
- Add some news to SF news, freshmeat, slashdot, The Times...
- Update information on wikipedia
Mac OS X package : Youness Alaoui
Windows installer, by NSIS: Phil
Gentoo Ebuild: Olivier Crête
Fedora Core Package Sander Hoentjen
Debian package, official Debian Sid packager: Søren Boll Overgaard <bilbo at debian.org>
NoTes from Phil for packaging
I improved the distribution system : I added the support for deb files
Now to create packages you can do :
"make deb" for dpkg system
"make rpm" for rpm system
In addition I modified the version system in the autoconf script :
We have 4 fields at the beginning :
APPNAME which wasn't change and is always amsn (because amsn is always amsn :p)
APPVERSION which is now 0.95 and not 0.95cvs
APPRELEASE which is 1 but is ignored for the moment
APPSTABLE which is actually no. WE HAVE TO CHANGE THIS FIELD JUST BEFORE THE RELEASE !!
It switches between two version system : the unstable which set versions as 0.95cvs-yyyymmdd (taken from cvs_date) and the stable one : 0.95-n where n is the release.
So before the release we have to change APPSTABLE to yes and redid autoconf (should be automatic when doing make).
All of ways when you will generate a package you will see the bad filename but it's always better to change it before : it avoids to do the job twice :p
P.S. Before the release, we should check the binaries for Windows, especially TkCxImage since I modified a little the code after the last DLL committing.
Arieh, can you complie with the last source before releasing the 0.95 ??