aMSN Forums
November 22, 2017, 02:03:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Live. Closing. Down.  (Read 60838 times)
rosine

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2016, 02:26:52 pm »

Oh man, Amsn never die, we now working in fork to reenable using skype and facebook protocol, the fenix is back

Hahaha! I hope so due Amsn nostalgy is very actuate. please inform me when is ready.
(I am NOT a man, just women Haha  Wink

C'est super quand cela fonctionne
Mohamed RACHID

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2017, 09:15:05 am »

Hello everyone,
I'm feeling very nostalgic right now.

I was a heavy user of Windows Live Messenger services. My favorite clients for it were MSN Messenger 5.0 (for old Windows 4.x and Windows 2000) and Windows Messenger 5.1 (for Windows XP). I gave aMSN a try, unfortunately after webcam support has gone in another world. The interface was a little too heavy to my taste, but I love the world of open-source! I did not like the design of Windows Live Messenger.

One day my account lost its compatibility with Windows Messenger 5.1 and (I think later) with MSN Messenger 7.5 too.
Then I had to move to Skype, I do not know what happened but nowadays I have no contacts on my Skype account that used to be on Windows Live Messenger.

And now, so many years after the change, Skype 7 cannot connect on my Windows 8.1. Skype 6 has been deprecated and does not allow logins anymore. My last resort is the Web interface of Skype, which is poor and does not hold the session forever (and when the session is expired, there is no warning or anything to invite to refresh the page).

The best alternatives I know are Discord and Twitch (aka Curse, which has lost its beautiful web interface). Unfortunately they are too designed for gamers rather than general purpose IM. General purpose IM competitors are gone: Yahoo was one of them.

So yeah, I'm looking for some community, some passion around programming.

If there is any life in there, I really suggest that aMSN takes a turn towards the use of modules for known and custom IM protocols. Why not IRC, XMPP, Facebook, and profile pictures hosted somewhere? With aMSN extensions to some protocols? It's so sad to see a project dead, but with its website still working and begging for life!

See you around!

Programmer on electronics and computers
Nostalgic about MSN Messenger and aMSN Messenger
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: