aMSN Forums
June 18, 2018, 09:47:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Live. Closing. Down.  (Read 66883 times)
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 09:09:00 am »

In the coming weeks I'll write a script or something to export aMSN logs to some readable format. Just keep checking this forum Smiley
tinos

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 01:36:13 pm »

Yaaaay! : ODDD
jojomart

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 12:44:18 am »

So, this program will not work after MSN gets rid of their messenger?? This is the reason I downloaded and installed aMSN Sad  Are the developers going to try to find a way for it to work with a different log in? Or some other way that we will still be able to use aMSN?  People are so upset about the switch to Skype (me included!), because of the lack of features there.

Thanks,
Joanne
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 01:36:37 am »

Yes, the moment MS shutdown their servers WLM, aMSN, Emeseme, Kopete, and all other MSN clients will stop working immediately. I mean it. They won't work anymore. Never.

That said...

While I'm not closed to anything, getting back aMSN (or any other MSN client) will be *really*, and I mean REALLY, hard. Please check this thread: http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/index.php?topic=8459.msg48930#msg48930
falde

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 09:52:31 pm »

Yes, as soon as MSNP and XMMP servers are closed Skype users will be able to talk only with Skype users. But that really won't be the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that MSN users won't be able to signin from any client.

So, if you still don't understand it: As soon as MSNP and XMMP servers are closed, MSN will die. No more MSN accounts, no more WLM (nor aMSN, Pidgin, Emeseme, whatever client).
Whats the point of migrating to Skype if they close that down to? Moving both services to one client make sense, but then still close the WLM accounts? Thats just stupid.

There are already a discussion in progress about setting up alternative XMPP-based servers where WLM users can migrate to... perhaps that will be the best option. I have already started using Google Talk a lot, trough Pidgin. But I REALLY like the email=address system that WLM uses and Google Talk does unfortunately not work like that...
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 09:18:05 am »

Whats the point of migrating to Skype if they close that down to?
Skype isn't using MSNP nor XMPP but it's own servers/protocol, closing MSNP and XMPP won't affect Skype's hability for chating.

There are already a discussion in progress about setting up alternative XMPP-based servers
Check that thread, I replied.
falde

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 01:39:02 am »

Whats the point of migrating to Skype if they close that down to?
Skype isn't using MSNP nor XMPP but it's own servers/protocol, closing MSNP and XMPP won't affect Skype's hability for chating.
How will it not affect my ability to chat with my MSNP contacts using Skype?
The entire point with MSN is that it uses mail addresses rather than having its own naming scheme. That's whats makes it so simple to use.

There are already a discussion in progress about setting up alternative XMPP-based servers
Check that thread, I replied.
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2013, 02:43:16 pm »

You'll be able to talk with skype users only.

Enough already with the madness. This is the last time I'm explaining it:

Right now MSN and Skype users can talk each other via MSNP/XMPP/whatever.
Once MSNP/XMPP servers are shutdown, MSN people WON'T be able to talk with Skype people (and viceversa). In fact, MSN people WON'T be able to login. Full stop.

XMPP servers will be shutdown later this years. MSNP servers will be shutdown March 2014.
arkano

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 03:47:08 pm »

I've been following this since Microsoft announced the (forced) transition from MSN to Skype. Personally, I find it's a shame to close WLM. At first, I had imagined they'd simply merge both clients into one, using MSNP for text messenging and other features like file transfers and such, and using the Skype protocol for VOIP and videochat (since it's certainly way better than the old MSN videochat/audiochat feature).

So, I rummaged around the internet for some potential alternatives to the official Skype client (without much hope), since I think using the heavy Skype just for IMing is a bit overkill compared to a traditional IM client, not to mention the obfuscated and blackbox aspects of Skype as a piece of software.
Some time ago, I heard about researches involving reverse-engineering Skype, so, I went through Wikipedia and Google and found this : http://www.oklabs.net/category/skype-reverse/

I'm not a programmer myself, so I couldn't really evaluate how usable it could be for a third-party implementation of the Skype protocol, but since WLM seems no longer to have any future in a rather short term, I guess this documentation could be useful for coders who would like to give it a go as a reborn "aMSN", but with the Skype protocol Smiley
tinos

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2013, 03:13:01 pm »

In the coming weeks I'll write a script or something to export aMSN logs to some readable format. Just keep checking this forum Smiley

Is it ready yet? : OD
Is it ready yet?? : OD
Is it ready yet??? : OD
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2013, 04:15:35 pm »

Not yet. In fact, I haven't started doing it yet. I'm sorry, I just don't have enough free time. But please, slap me if I haven't done it till next Sunday.
kevinwalzer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 05:01:27 am »

Seems like this news has been rather lightly addressed in the forums, but it appears that this is the end of the line for aMSN? No shame in that, but if that's the case, wouldn't it make sense to make this explicit, not just in the forums but on the website?
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 12:34:02 am »

While it's definitely MSN's death, we're still waiting to see what will happen next. Yes, eventually we'll announce it properly, but let's keep waiting for a few more months. It won't hurt anybody and aMSN won't die until march 2014 Smiley
gilaparis75
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 12:19:36 am »

Expiration Date:2013-10-18 04:07:02

March 2014 you said ? Lol
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 08:29:32 pm »

XMPP will die later this year while MSNP will keep working until March 2014.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: