aMSN Forums
April 24, 2018, 09:25:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Live. Closing. Down.  (Read 65409 times)
Adjacent

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2012, 11:36:30 pm »

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/06/end-of-an-era-windows-live-messenger-to-be-retired-users-transitioned-to-skype/

After seeing this as rumour on another website 2 days ago, I am now almost certain it is to be fact.

I've been using msn/windows live since January 2006. I STILL use it daily. It's the only major chat program left where you can have individualism. Skype has no custom fonts, no custom colours, you can't set a status before you sign in. There's no "plus!" features like you have on MSN... No password protected lock settings or games or nudges, your best bet to get someone's attention is to call them. I just cannot believe MicroSoft would do this to their loyal users after 12 years, even if many of them have left to go to failbook chat.

How are they suppose to compensate us for all the features we're losing in this "transition", how can we fight this? I for one will keep using msn daily till this takes effect... I hope many of you reading this will join me and if anyone wants to add me and discuss the good old days of msn my email/msn address is adjacentjason@hotmail.co.uk

While not totally surprised... I'm just...speechless.... and I am certainly angry.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:38:07 pm by Adjacent » Logged
Arch_

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 01:25:53 am »

Funny...I just came here to post this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20222998

Doesn't look good for aMSN2 haha
Adjacent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:03:09 am »

Ugh... also not a fan of skype being so integrated with facebook, having a user searchable directory, and storing your chatlogs on their servers...

Isn't there anyway we can protest this?  Sad
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 09:05:47 am »

Just to make it clear, the news are real, M$ is going to shutdown MSN somewhen in Q1 2013.

But there is a hope. Skype will (apparently) use MSNP to signin and chat with MSN contacts, so
maybe we'll still be able to use aMSN (and all other MSN clients).

NOTE: This is not yet confirmed!
justincase

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 04:56:52 pm »

yes if you use your hotmail or outlook account you will have your messenger contacts so try skype version 6 but they should add a big font or change the font colour but it works try it out.  Cheesy
Adjacent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 09:29:12 pm »

Hi all, wanted whoever it may help/concern to know:

I updated my skype (on a mac, snow leopard 10.6.8 ) to 6.0 version. I logged in using my windows live account and "merged" the skype/msn.

Upon right clicking, you have a choice as to choose a font/color, but they don't work at all, it just appears as default even after choosing a color. I also cannot see my contact's fonts/colors. After several moments your msn contacts also appear in your skype list... I tried video calling someone who was using Windows Live 2009 (on windows 7), he told me that he received a pop up box asking him whether he wanted to install "skype video callling component" or not, he selected to install it and restarted msn and the call worked. His display name/picture also didn't seem to show for me, it appeared as his first name and the default picture.

I took screenshots of the video call and some of these buggy moments and I may post them later.
Calmarius

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 08:12:56 am »

And I think considerable number of people using aMSN because they are on Linux. The Skype for Linux won't even let you log in with your Facebook, nor with your Microsoft account.
Bocko

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 10:43:30 am »

If you're using Linux, the latest update for Skype (4.1) allow you to merge your MSN account...

Bocko The ChocobOST
justincase

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:07:59 am »

By the way, the actual original announcement is here:
http://blogs.skype.com/en/2012/11/skypewlm.html

The pertinent section:
We will retire Messenger in all countries worldwide in the first quarter of 2013 (with the exception of mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available).

It is not clear if this means "we will no longer update Windows Live Messenger", or "clients using MSN service will no longer be able to connect".

Also, it is not clear how "exception of mainland China" would work -- would it be by IP? It would be hilarious if that means you have to hop the Great Firewall back into China in order to use MSN. And if you did that it is not clear if you would only be able to see contacts in China or if it would include your buddies who've transitioned to Skype too.
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 12:50:53 am »

We really can't be sure how will they do it, but maybe you're right and they'll do it by blocking IPs from other countries, maybe they'll block access to accounts that weren't created in china, maybe....

We'll see really soon. Until then there isn't really anything we can do about it, I'm sorry.  Sad
justincase

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 01:10:36 am »

Some hope for alternate MSN clients:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/forum/messenger-sharing/alternate-client/18444938-94a9-49bb-a690-ef53b7cb82b4

"You can still login to the alternate messaging clients using Messenger as long as your account is working fine. If you will encounter any issues and is sure that the account is ok, you can contact the alternate client for support."
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 08:06:28 pm »

Just wanted to say that we officially know when will MSNP be closed. It will happen in March 2014 (yes, 2014, not a typo). Then all MSN clients will stop working.
XMPP (which is currently used for skype <--> msn) will close later this year, so using that instead is not an option.

Long story short: we have one more year of MSN. Let's see what will happen in the near feature, maybe we (not just aMSN devs but 'we' in general) will be able to do something...

Regards
falde

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 11:09:42 am »

Just wanted to say that we officially know when will MSNP be closed. It will happen in March 2014 (yes, 2014, not a typo). Then all MSN clients will stop working.
XMPP (which is currently used for skype <--> msn) will close later this year, so using that instead is not an option.

Long story short: we have one more year of MSN. Let's see what will happen in the near feature, maybe we (not just aMSN devs but 'we' in general) will be able to do something...

Regards
I am confused. What protocol will be used for skype<>msn in the future if they discontinue XMPP? Will Skype stop working as an MSN client?
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 12:38:33 pm »

Yes, as soon as MSNP and XMMP servers are closed Skype users will be able to talk only with Skype users. But that really won't be the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that MSN users won't be able to signin from any client.

So, if you still don't understand it: As soon as MSNP and XMMP servers are closed, MSN will die. No more MSN accounts, no more WLM (nor aMSN, Pidgin, Emeseme, whatever client).
tinos

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 02:02:54 am »

: O///
I want to be able to read my log-files in the future, but I can only access them in a smothly readable layout when logged in to amsn. Do anyone else suffer from this or have an solution?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: