aMSN Forums
October 19, 2018, 12:20:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with the new outlook.com  (Read 10501 times)
jonas418

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:23:17 pm »

Hello,

First post here. Sorry if it is a lame one. I hope to get some answers though, as I could not figure it out for my self.
Anyway.

I went to www.outlook.com as it seems MS is shifting over to that address. Decided to try it out I applied it for my regular hotmail-address (seems dumb, but I wanted to get my feet wet right away). The migration to the new address was fast and painless, until I decided to logon using aMSN.

First it said that the username/password was mismatching, obviously since it is now migrated to an @outlook.com address. So I tipped it in and fixed the password. It logs in just fine, but all my contacts are blank, along with chat history etc. Naturally since aMSN thinks of this as a new profile. The real question is: How do I migrate my hotmail profile to the new outlook profile in aMSN?

I tried to copy the content of the hotmail folder to the newly auto-created outlook folder inside of C:\Users\MyName\amsn\my_email_outlook_com\ but that doesn't do it of course. I tried to skip a few of the config files first to see if it matters, and then when the first attempt failed I tried to copy each of the config files manually one by one into the new folder. The only thing that now happens when I launch aMSN is that it shows my old hotmail address, then I change it to the outlook domain and tip in the password, only to get an error saying that it's wrong somehow. It still works perfectly if I erase the automatically created outlook_com folder entirely, but not if I try to transfer the hotmail content to the outlook folder.

Any suggestion on how to migrate this in an easy way? I still want my old contact list etc...

Thanks in advance!
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:51:02 am »

Hi!
Exporting your contact list is really easy. Just login with the "old" account, open the main aMSN window and hit "Contacts -> Save contact list". Then login with the "new" account and go to "Contacts -> Import contact list".
Moving your logs should be as easy as copying the logs folder from one profile to another.
jonas418

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 06:09:53 am »

I wish it was possible to login with the old account, but it ain't. After you migrate to the new outlook.com address you can't go back. You can still send emails to the hotmail address, but you can't use it for logging in at places. So that's not an option. Smiley
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:25:01 am »

Is there any way you can get to your "old" contact list? WLM? Outlook? Something? If you can't get to see your "old" contact list I think it'll be really hard to "export" it to your "new" account.
jonas418

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 06:24:40 pm »

Hmm.. Not sure why this is, but I left my aMSN running yesterday night, and I've been gone for work all day long, and when I got back home I have regained what seems to be most of my contacts somehow. Some kind of sync issue perhaps?

alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 11:27:00 pm »

Maybe yes, can't tell for sure. This whole Outlook thing got us by surprise :/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: