aMSN Forums
April 19, 2014, 05:19:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Everything resetting on update? / Emoticons not displaying  (Read 4486 times)
Glaedr

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2011, 07:01:30 pm »

A few months ago, I started using aMSN. And occasionally when it updated, my avatar, font, saved password, custom emoticons and several other things would reset themselves. I have since installed a new harddrive, as the one I had back then turned out to be faulty and had to be replaced. And since reinstalling, every single update resets everything as above. And it's incredibly irritating. I've been through forum posts, help pages, general Linux forums and a ton of Google results. And so far I haven't even found anyone else it's happened to. Is there any way to find out what is causing this and stop it? This is irritating enough for me to have begun to consider searching for a replacement program, which I really don't have the time for.

Also, while I'm typing, I have a handful of contacts that cannot see my emoticons, custom or not. It occasionally happened on WLM back when I used Windows, but wasn't constant as it is now.

I use OpenSuse 11.4 and KDE - the same as I did the first time around.
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 08:11:08 pm »

The solution for the first problem is really simple. Just install SVN, as that was caused by a change in the MSN protocol. I can't remember if I fixed it and then we released another stable version or the changes are only in SVN, so, if you don't want to read about SVN, try with the latest stable version, and if keeps happening, just upgrade to SVN.

As for the second one, I have a fried with exactly the same problem, but I think that this isn't really an aMSN fault, as as you say it also happens with WLM. But I couldn't really figure out why is that happening.
I'll keep investigating and let you know if I get anything in clear.
Glaedr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 08:29:57 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  Smiley

I thought the updates were upgrading versions, and it was only installed again a few weeks ago as I was stuck using a Live CD for a while. And I've never heard of SVN, but I'll look it up.
Glaedr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 09:40:49 pm »

Sorry to be awkward, but I installed SVN an hour or so after I posted last, and it just did the same thing again. No avatar, no saved password, no font colour and no emoticons.  Sad
Glaedr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:21:18 pm »

And again. Something has to be wrong here somewhere.  Sad
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 01:08:39 am »

I just checked it again, and it has to be your version.
It matches perfectly with a problem I fixed a few months ago.
Can you open main aMSN window and then click on "Help" -> "About"  and tell me what you see (the version & svn version)
Glaedr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 02:53:19 pm »

It was a completely new install from the package manager, so I would hope it was an updated one. But maybe whoever manages it hasn't updated it recently. The About window says: SVN version 12297. I tried going back to the other version briefly since it didn't seem to fix anything, but whenever I clicked on a contact to say something, the program crashed. I'm guessing that's not meant to happen. Maybe the settings of the two got mixed up somehow.

Thanks for your help, and Merry Christmas. Smiley
Glaedr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 08:38:49 pm »

Sorry to be a pest, but it's just happened for the third time in a week and I'm on the verge of just giving up and forcing myself to get used to Kopete. I really don't want to have to do that, but I can't carry on using something that's going to do things like this all the time for no reason.
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 05:59:07 am »

Latest SVN version is 12340, you should really get that one. To do so just follow our how-to here: http://www.amsn-project.net/wiki/Installing_SVN
Glaedr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 06:45:56 pm »

Thanks for the link. I think I've managed to get it installed. I'll let you know how it goes. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:56:56 pm by Glaedr » Logged
Glaedr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 02:08:17 am »

I've had it open for a couple of hours now... or tried to. It's crashing about every 20 minutes. Is that normal?  Undecided  It just crashed again as soon as I reopened it.
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 05:09:57 am »

What do you mean by "crashing" ? aMSN process just closes itself? Or you're getting a window with traceback of the error?
Glaedr

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 12:47:14 am »

Sorry, I mean I get the white popup saying:

TK has bought an error. There is a bug in aMSN, please report it by clicking the Report button. You can click Details to see more informations about the bug or click Ignore to continue chatting with aMSN.

Clicking ignore only results in all messages bouncing in both directions.

Details brings up a long message which it won't let me copy and paste. But it starts with:

invalid command name "0"
    while executing
"$sb cget -sock"
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 03:05:48 am »

Does that mean that is stoped resetting after each update? Of so, then the main point of the this topic is fixed.

Now, about the crash, it's a know bug and we're working on it. Really annoying but you can still chat, so all you have to do is click of the checkbox at the very bottom of the crash window that says "Don't show this again during my session".
We're trying to fix it ASAP, so just stay around and check for new SVN versions.
Glaedr

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 09:07:41 pm »

It's only been installed for a couple of days, and I haven't noticed it on my update list yet. But none of the emoticons have vanished so far.  I'll try ticking the box. Thanks. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: