aMSN Forums
June 20, 2018, 12:40:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverse contact list seems to be incorrect  (Read 21806 times)
mangongo

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:47:18 am »

Hello,

I'm using aMSN 0.98.4 on GNU/Linux and Windows. I have at least one person that I know of on my contacts list, which shows up as not having me on their contact list (the little X icon), but I know she has me, since she can see me and talk to me when I'm online. Is this some kind of bug on the MSN servers, or with aMSN itself? There are others on my contact list who also show up as not having me on their contact list of course, but now I don't know which of those are real or not...

I've seen this problem for a long time, from previous versions as well.
mangongo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 12:52:21 am »

Today I added a new contact (who uses the standard MS client) and the same thing happened again. He accepted me, and was able to initiate a chat session with me, so he can clearly see me in his contact list. We chatted for a while, but the little red X icon still shows in his name on the contact list, as though he didn't have me.
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:30:18 am »

This feature stoped working as MS fixed it.  Sad
mangongo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 01:59:40 pm »

I see. I was under the impression it was an actual feature provided by the protocol, but if I interpret you correctly, it was actually a bug which leaked information?

If I remember correctly, I believe the standard MS client has a reverse contact list which can be seen, somewhere in their preferences dialog. I can try to produce a screenshot if necessary -- I'm curious myself to see if that is the case, and whether *that* list (if it exists) will be correct.
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 05:44:47 pm »

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing. The red cross over some contacts was a bug in msnp which let us "see" who has blocked you, but MS fixed that, so we can't do in anymore.
mangongo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:05:05 pm »

Hmm, I may be in error, but I believe the crosses I am talking about are supposed to represent those people who don't have me on their contact list (i.e. because they never accepted me or deleted me or whatever). That is indeed what the FAQ describes. They appear when I enable the option "Show special icon for contacts that do not have you in their list", in the Preferences -> Advanced dialog.

I am talking about the icons seen in this example:

I do see a few people with those crosses by their name. For some of these contacts, it makes sense, since we haven't spoken in years; but for others I know that they have me on their list.

The exact same problem manifests itself (with the same contacts) in the "Reverse List" window, in the Preferences -> Privacy dialog. At the bottom there are two lists: "User's Contacts" and "Reverse List". As I understand it, the "Reverse List" is supposed to indicate those people who have you in their contact list. The FAQ also explains it as such.

There are at least 2 people who I know for a fact have me on their contact list (I know them personally and they have initiated chats with me), however they do not show up in this Reverse List, and they have the red cross in their name (even while chatting with me).

Unless I am mistaken, the official MS client also has a similar Reverse List (perhaps with another name), where one can see who has you as a contact. I haven't had access to a Windows machine to check whether the reverse list from the MS client matches the reverse list from aMSN, but I should be able to check during the weekend.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 03:57:40 am by mangongo » Logged
BaaaZen
Power user

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 02:59:10 pm »

You are right. The contacts with the red crosses are not on the reverse list, officially that will happen if the contact has deleted you from his contact list or never accepted you. In theory this should work, and it worked in former times. But the reverse list microsoft sends those days is incorrect. So you can't rely on that list. That's also the reason why this feature is disabled by default in newer versions of aMSN.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
MrRoboto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 08:44:13 am »

My first post here, but I've used aMSN for years! Is this topic dead?

Windows Live Messenger 2011 has done away with the whole block list as well as the privacy info which used to show who had you on their list.

Does this mean the reverse privacy won't work with aMSN anymore?

Since the privacy info is still available on WLM 2009 I don't see why aMSN can't have it.

Kakaroto or devs can you answer?
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 06:18:45 pm »

Try to see if WLM 2009 shows the reverse list correctly. It it does, then that feature is *possible* to implement, but unlikely to be seen in amsn1. We really must focus on amsn2.
Anyways, patches will be accepted, checked and merged (if correct).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: