aMSN Forums
November 17, 2018, 10:09:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: maybe no  (Read 8146 times)
ikke

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2011, 10:15:51 pm »

adware like open candy in msn??

In OpenCandy's own words, this is what they do:

Recommendations are made to users during the installation process. Utilizing the install process creates a user-friendly experience and offers optimal engagement for making a software recommendation. The user is presented with a screen that describes the recommendation, at which time they may choose to install the recommended software.

That makes it adware!

We then provide analytics back to the creators, so they can see how their software and recommendations are performing. This way they can better understand how to build and recommend great applications.

That makes it spyware!

We've also provided our technology as a platform to a handful of software creators who are utilizing an offer screen during the install process as an advertising unit. Some creators are already monetizing their distribution by offering apps like browser toolbars, so we're helping them improve their user experience and optimize the effectiveness of their offers.

That makes it your typical spyware/adware we have always known.

If this is not removed soon I going to use the official msn .
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 09:45:14 am »

Alright, I'll try to be polite, but obviously, you're stupid and you pissed me off, so please excuse me in advance if I'm a bit rude towards you... nah, just kidding, considering how extremely polite you were in your nice request, and how 'sorry' you were in bothering us with your stupid question, I believe that you deserve a far worse answer than what I'm going to give you... and I'm not going to be sorry for being rude to someone who is rude!

Do you have any idea what the fuck an adware is ? An adware is an application that pops ads without your knowledge or consent, OpenCandy is NOT adware, it will give you a choice to install a third-party application DURING the amsn installation, and NEVER again.. it doesn't get installed itself or anything... if you install amsn every 5 minutes on your pc, then yeah, maybe that would annoy you, but if you don't do that, then stop complaining, you would see one 'suggestion' once per year, is that so fucking bad that it's not worth having access to a free and open source program... Oh and by the way, the third-party app that OpenCandy suggests is not automatically installed until you click yes, we could have made it enabled by default and gained 5x more money, but we don't do that, so stop your bullshit complaining!!

Do you have any idea what the fuck a spyware is ? It's an application that collects personally identifiable information on you without your knowledge!!! OpenCandy does no such thing, they only collect whether or not you accept a specific ad so that we know that maybe 10% of our users would decide to install "msn smileys pack" and 0.01% would decide to install "google toolbar" for example.. this way, we monetize better by providing more relevant suggestions. Oh and also, the OpenCandy user agreement is shown PRIOR to any suggestion is offered, and explains exactly what gets collected, so if you don't read it, don't complain, if you read it and you don't like it, then press cancel before "OMG, one person somewhere in the world didn't enable the installation of this app".

Also, who the fuck do you think you are making requests like that ? If you want, just for you, we will create a "pay 10$ and download an amsn installer without OpenCandy" but I'm pretty sure you're not going to click that!! Are you the one who spends hours of your time programming on an open source project for FREE so others can enjoy it ? Are you the one paying for the amsn-project.net server and the hundreds of GB of bandwidth used everyday ? When you decide to offer your time, your dedication, a server, unlimited bandwidth, and compensation for every developer who ever worked on making aMSN what it is today, then you would be entitled to open your mouth, until then, you don't have a right to complain because in the end, you're getting aMSN for free and you have absolutely no say on how we should release it.

Oh and by the way, "if this is not removed soon I going to use the official msn."... hahahahaha, oh my god, I'm so scared, please don't do that! Nah, just joking, go use the official client and stop bothering me, what do you think we're loosing? I always said "one less user means one less person to give support to", and I also always said "If you don't like it, don't use it"... go use the official client, at least Microsoft has employees that they are paying to listen to your stupid complaints.. oh and did you know that installing the official client will also install shitloads of other stuff.. did you know that the official client is full of ads everywhere? that it opens a "MSN Today" popup every time you connect to it ? no you didn't know that? oh, sorry to break it to you!

Have fun and say hi to Bill Gates for me!

P.S.: The money gained from OpenCandy and ads on the website have been used to give back to the community.
Thanks to the money raised through ads, the aMSN team went to the FOSDEM conference in 2008 and we gave 200 'aMSN T-shirts' to our users.
The aMSN team has also recently donated 2500$ to the Electronic Frontier Foundation which helps defend everyone's digital rights.

KaKaRoTo

KaKaRoTo
tin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:19:48 am »

OK, I can understand the need for income (and I probably would pay something for a clean installer if it came to that)... But adding this sort of crapware to the installer is really a bad move.

Firstly, anyone with a clue will skip that step in setup.
Second, so many AV programs are detecting aMSN's installer now that it will be hard to download (or worse, waste people's bandwidth as they re-download the file their AV keeps deleting).
Third, the few people stupid enough to blindly click to install whatever rubbish Opencandy supply are also stupid enough to simply jump out and claim aMSN is a virus, and loudly spread the word that it is.

Moving along, I know it's your forum, but the swearing seems unnecessary. I'm a fairly long time aMSN user (I vaguely remember version 0.6 being exciting), and have promoted it endlessly to anyone who ever says bad words about any other MSN client...
I'm fairly offended that the author of the software would stoop to the lows of name calling and swearing just because someone dared to question possible malware being distributed with the installer. I know he/she was blunt and a bit rude, but a rant with Tourette syndrome seems a little

Personally, I'm fine with skipping the suggested rubbish and getting on with things. In fact, I did ages ago without even noticing. The only reason I'm here now is because my AV software said the installer I still had sitting on a server was infected (it saw it when I was browsing that folder for the first time in months).
Arch_

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:44:36 pm »

Hi, opencandy is actually partnered with some AV companies so there should not be a problem with malware/adware. Here is some additional reading:
http://www.opencandy.com/faqs/#false-adware
http://www.opencandy.com/learn-more-about-opencandy-and-false-adware-detections/#mse-wdef

If you don't find this useful, it will at least be here for other people searching
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 01:37:56 am »

OK, I can understand the need for income (and I probably would pay something for a clean installer if it came to that)... But adding this sort of crapware to the installer is really a bad move.

Firstly, anyone with a clue will skip that step in setup.
Second, so many AV programs are detecting aMSN's installer now that it will be hard to download (or worse, waste people's bandwidth as they re-download the file their AV keeps deleting).
Third, the few people stupid enough to blindly click to install whatever rubbish Opencandy supply are also stupid enough to simply jump out and claim aMSN is a virus, and loudly spread the word that it is.

Moving along, I know it's your forum, but the swearing seems unnecessary. I'm a fairly long time aMSN user (I vaguely remember version 0.6 being exciting), and have promoted it endlessly to anyone who ever says bad words about any other MSN client...
I'm fairly offended that the author of the software would stoop to the lows of name calling and swearing just because someone dared to question possible malware being distributed with the installer. I know he/she was blunt and a bit rude, but a rant with Tourette syndrome seems a little

Personally, I'm fine with skipping the suggested rubbish and getting on with things. In fact, I did ages ago without even noticing. The only reason I'm here now is because my AV software said the installer I still had sitting on a server was infected (it saw it when I was browsing that folder for the first time in months).
First, OpenCandy isn't "crapware", there were other propositions for an installer partnership which we refused and decided to choose opencandy (even if it gave less revenue) because we think it's a good project. The 'recommended apps' that are shown in the installer were chosen by us, anything we didn't like, we removed from the selection, so it's not them suggestion 'anything' to you. Secondly, even if it means roughly 5 times less revenue, we made the installer with opt-in instead of opt-out (by default it doesn't select "install").

Also, like you said, anyone with a clue will skip that step (and you didn't even notice it).. good for them, how is it an issue then if you can just simply skip it? I don't see an issue with that personally.  As for the 'virus' issues, opencandy was never considered a virus and it doesn't make you install adware/spyware (only useful apps that we chose ourselves), but a few months ago there was an issue when the microsoft defender decided to flag opencandy as a virus, and opencandy have been very responsive with us and they got in contact with microsoft, figured out what microsoft didn't like, fixed their SDK, redeployed, we recreated the installer, they did the QA of the installer and we rereleased a new installer, and it was all during a few days (less than a week if I remember correctly).
Stuff like that happens, and you got your AV to flag it only because you had the old installer and an updated virus definition. This also has little to do with OpenCandy itself since I believe it happened twice before that amsn.exe itself was flagged as a virus for no reason until the AV programs fixed that false positive.

About the 'Tourette syndrome', you're saying that you're offended, in which case I apologize to you, however, you have to put yourself in my shoes, you need to understand that after giving support for 10 years to the millions of users that we have, my temper got short, and I have absolutely no tolerance for people who are rude! The original post wasn't about OpenCandy and being flagged as a virus, it wasn't about "why is it there?" it was some random guy giving us an order, thinking he's superior to us and that we must comply to his wishes simply because he says so. I would have taken a completely different tone if there was a single "please" or "could you..?" in his post, but there weren't, it was an ultimatum: "If this is not removed soon I going to use the official msn.", it was a threat! I believe that he deserved far worse than what I replied to him with, as I don't like being threatened.
You don't go to someone's house after they invite you for dinner and then you threaten them to bring you some champagne or you're going to leave... then complain if they tell you "well then, get the fuck out of my house".
So like I said, I didn't swear because he "dared to question possible malware being distributed", I sweared because of his assertions and threat and completely rude attitude. I believe that someone who does not respect me does not deserve respect in return.

Hope that answers your questions!
KaKaRoTo

KaKaRoTo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: