aMSN Forums
August 22, 2018, 04:22:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Change the wiki motor  (Read 4216 times)
Anael
Power user

View Profile WWW
« on: December 04, 2010, 11:44:06 pm »

Hi,

I suggest to change the wiki's engine : I was working with mediawiki too on a wiki for a web hosting team.
I always have problems to make a user friendly appearence, all the pages was sad, badly designed.

And one day, onather associate suggest to change the wiki motor : we was working with dokuwiki from years, and known the power of this motor (with some plugins).
He change the motor, and I was in charge to migrate all the existing documentation.
I was positively surprised of the easy to use way of dokuwiki, and its possibility.
For example he managed a box design : you can graduate your main page with these boxes in order to guide the user directly to the good category for the documentation, you can easily manage category, images, ...

On the beginning, I don't wan't to change the wiki motor, but on final, I was really happy that he do that !

Today, I was on the amsn wiki. See the main page : have you got a feeling to go search some informations on a so poorly designed wiki ?
For my part, really no : there is many links, many text to read, ... I prefer come on the forum and ask a question.

But, amsn, as so many free project, have a problem on these support : there isn't any paid suppor team, all of us is doing support on is free time.
So, many duplicate subject exists today, both of us without answer, ... all of that isn't positive for the image of amsn :-)

What was I suggesting today ?

Amsn forum and wiki really need a clean-up : too many post-ited subjects on the forum should be on the wiki.
Some official answers should be give on the status of some features (for example the date of next release, offline messages, webcams discutions, ...).

I suggest to instal a new wiki motor : dokuwiki, with some plugins and migrate documentation to a sexyest wiki, which can really used as documentation center ;-)
Naturally, i'm available to help to do this work !

A comparative of the two motors can be foud here : http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/DokuWiki+MediaWiki

Regards,
Anael
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 12:04:37 am by Anael » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: