aMSN Forums
December 20, 2014, 08:55:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: ..just wondering ..  (Read 30054 times)
mtz4life

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2006, 03:47:37 am »

..am i sure if i want to hide the menu bar? ..absolutely yes!!! Cheesy

..it worked like a charm ..is it only me or the chatwindow and the CL look a lot better without the menu bar?

PCLinuxOS, radically simple
"Linux is evolution, not intelligent design" - linus torvalds
PJ
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2006, 03:53:22 am »

Quote from: "mtz4life"
..am i sure if i want to hide the menu bar? ..absolutely yes!!! Cheesy

..it worked like a charm ..is it only me or the chatwindow and the CL look a lot better without the menu bar?

Well the standard TCL/TK menubar is very uggly, and it have a really unfriendly behavour.
Most common the mousepointer direction switch (If your cursor theme have one) That's a thing i dont like.
Also it feels very primitive, Iam however using the pixmapmenu, Sexy and with a really nice behavour.
People say that the pixmapmenu is really buggy, cant understand that. Works awesome here, just some minor issues.
So yes the ChatWindow and CL do look better without the menubar, if you use the standard TCL/TK.

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2006, 10:36:59 pm »

ok, so kopete is crap, and amsn now works great, right? Cheesy

EDIT :
PJ, you're 100% right.. there is a way to avoid that thing with menu cursor, you think it should go in svn by default?
about pixmapmenu, YES it works great for YOU, but not for everyone, if you have a slightly different machines, it gets completly screwed up, if we fix it for them, it might get scrwed up for you, which is why we dropped it (+ it's very slow...)

KaKaRoTo
mtz4life

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2006, 12:45:58 am »

ok, so kopete is crap, and amsn now works great, right?

..smile..amsn is now great? ..its been great since the fist time i used it ..kopete, it has annoyances that seems to always be there in all their versions( including the lastest one .12 that came out this month) like file tranfer not working properly, webcam disconnecting every one min when there is no activity, it freezes my tv(tvtime) when it starts,.  it doesnt seem to want to download dp, should i continue?  Cheesy ..but with one icq, two hotmail, one yahoo, one aol, one jabber(gmail) and an irc channel ...amsn cant do _all_ that i want and thats why i have kopete at hand ...for all the non-hotmail chatting ..but since i use hotmail around 80% of my chatting, i find myself using amsn alot ...i just love it, i even though about joining the team once, downloaded couple of tcl tutorials but ..the language just didnt appeal to me ..

PJ
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2006, 02:39:27 am »

Quote from: "kakaroto"
PJ, you're 100% right.. there is a way to avoid that thing with menu cursor, you think it should go in svn by default?

If you want my opinion, Yes absoltley i think that should be the default behavour.

Quote from: "kakaroto"
about pixmapmenu, YES it works great for YOU, but not for everyone, if you have a slightly different machines, it gets completly screwed up, if we fix it for them, it might get scrwed up for you, which is why we dropped it (+ it's very slow...)

Hey, Hey, please i never tried to flame or troll here. It feels like you'r mad at me now ^^ Nahh dont worry we are friends =D
However yes it could be only me having success with the pixmapmenu, But all my friends using Linux and aMSN
i have told them to use the pixmapmenu, and they love it. Noone of them have ever had any problem with the pixmapmenu. They even keep telling me that it rocks, also i tried it here at my dads slow windows PC it works awesome over here also.
And even at this slow Celeron the pixmap menu works great, never felt it slow.

Okay but let's say that me and my friends just have have been really lucky.
Btw would it be possible to get Chamelon override the TCL/TK menu? That would be something i would really love =D
And it might even work better than the pixmapmenu? Also then we could remove the pixmapmenu completley.
For the users who use TileQT would get their native KDE look on the menus, and when TileGTK comes, yea it would be awesome =D

Kakaroto, please dont see this post as a request or flame =D
Take Care

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2006, 06:25:58 am »

hehe, hi both of you.
mtz4life : lol, thanx, yeah, I also love amsn, too bad I don't know much about the other products.. I remember trying gaim (before joining the amsn team), I didn't like it, interface too 'gore' and it made me sick before I finally understood how to make it sign in to hotmail... kopete, I tried it when I was implementing the detect who blocked you feature (I wrote that just before joining the team, then I joined the team and commited it), but I didn't like it.. it was too much 'kde' for me, I'm an enlightenment guy...  but anyways, I didn't ask that, I was asking about this menu behavior thing, is there anything that should be improved ?

PJ : lol, no, I wasn't mad at you, I was just explaining to you, I know you're not a 'common user', so I'm ok with such posts (as long as it doesn't become a huge flame war). Yes, you did have a lot of luck, but for me, I think it worked on my linux, but not in windows, and some people have it not working on linux too (I think it depends on the version of xorg or xfree), so it sucks..
about chameleon, tile doesn't HAVE a menu widget implementation at all, so I can't implement it, even if I wanted to...

KaKaRoTo
mtz4life

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2006, 03:28:43 pm »

..is there anything that can be improved? ..there is always room for improvements  Cheesy ..but at the moment, i am just a happy user ..no complains or wishes or anything ..

thank you very much ..

mtz4life

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 01:18:20 am »

..its me again.. Cheesy

the menu bar setting seems to be broken on the rc1 ..amsn and chat windows launches with the menu bar all the time..the svn version that i downloaded less than 3 days ago doesnt suffer from this so it must be something that was added/changed just before the rc1 was released ..

..this is one of those rare moments that i am glad that i didnt delete my previous download before download a fresh one from svn ..

vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 09:46:08 am »

The RC1 was late to be packaged so it doesn't contain all latest changes. Sad
This is why we just want to release just autopackage for linux on the next release (and source tarball, of course) and let distros create their own packages.
kp

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 08:35:35 pm »

So is it possible to hide the menubar?? I never use it Tongue and I would like to see that feature maybe as an option or a keyboard shortcut.
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 09:01:23 pm »

Read this thread from the beginning. Tongue
kp

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2006, 09:11:39 pm »

mmm for some reason it didn't work before but I restarted amsn and it worked so thx.

But it would be nice to have it as an option in the preferences window.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2006, 09:50:08 pm »

no need for an option, it is automatic!!!! anyways, the latest SVN version has it, but the RC1 no, so RC2 should have all those changes..
RC1 was tagged on June 17th.. so it was right before I did that...

KaKaRoTo
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2006, 09:50:24 pm »

The preferences window is a BIG bloat. It remembers your choice anyway (SVN, not 0.96 RC1) so why bother?

Is it OK to add a new menu entry (like under View) for Show/hide menus?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2006, 09:57:21 pm »

you mean for 'hide'... but if the user hides the menu, he won't know how to show it again.. if he uses the hotkey, at least he knows how to do it...

KaKaRoTo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: