aMSN Forums
September 20, 2014, 04:52:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: ..just wondering ..  (Read 29454 times)
mtz4life

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2006, 05:31:54 am »

...if its possible or not to implement the standard hide/show menu bar as in kde(with ctrl+m) shortcut

PCLinuxOS, radically simple
"Linux is evolution, not intelligent design" - linus torvalds
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 03:25:52 am »

It is currently discussed and it seems we're going to implement it soon in CVS (will be available in next release).

KaKaRoTo
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 03:26:39 am »

btw, I'm moving your thread as it's a suggestion/feature request not a linux support request.

KaKaRoTo
mtz4life

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 12:24:53 am »

.thanks, i will be looking for it( i usually download cvs version every in a week)..

offtopic..
isnt the menu bar largely a legacy thing? and its on its way out? kde have an option to hide it, ie7 doesnt have it(hidden??) vista seems to get rid of it too(hidden??) next ms office(hidden too??) opera 9 preview 2 have an option to hide it too ..what do you guys think ..

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 05:15:52 am »

Shocked Shocked
when I heard the menubar would be hidden, I was surprised, I would hate it... I can't imagine an app without menubar.. it just.. doesn't fit.. indeed, I saw a screeny of ie7 and didn't notice the menubar, but didn't pay attention to it.. and vista is on the way to be installed (90% downloaded Tongue) so I'll take a look.. opera 9, wouhou thx you told me there's a preview for it:D but no menubar... weird, because I usually use the menubar a lot in my apps..

KaKaRoTo
NoWhereMan
Contributor
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 07:25:14 am »

Quote from: "kakaroto"
but no menubar... weird, because I usually use the menubar a lot in my apps..

well in msn7.5 you can hide the whole menubar and window border Smiley

NoWhereMan
-- Windows mom: «Finish your veggies! There are processes in Ubuntu that are starving to death!»
-- NoWhereBlog (ita)
-- http://flatpress.sf.net
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 11:34:02 am »

in kde too <3 Smiley You can do the same using the winskin plugin, just when you remove the border it puts itself always on top of all desktops!

Quick hint (until I feel like coding lol): From main window, type Ctrl+S to get the status log

In there, type this command:

Code:
. conf -menu ""

and to get the menu back:

Code:
. conf -menu .main_menu

I suggest you use winskin and disable the option to hide the border (do it from your window manager), because it adds nice buttons to move/resize/close aMSN and a button for the menu Smiley (Get the cvs version of winskin though, it has some bugfixing!)
NoWhereMan
Contributor
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 04:25:04 pm »

Quote from: "vivia"
in kde too <3 Smiley You can do the same using the winskin plugin, just when you remove the border it puts itself always on top of all desktops!

quite buggy, but awesome! didn't know that!

Quick hint (until I feel like coding lol): From main window, type Ctrl+S to get the status log

In there, type this command:

Code:
. conf -menu ""

and to get the menu back:

Code:
. conf -menu .main_menu

I think this actually is not working O.o

I suggest you use winskin and disable the option to hide the border (do it from your window manager), because it adds nice buttons to move/resize/close aMSN and a button for the menu Smiley (Get the cvs version of winskin though, it has some bugfixing!)

Gnome here, no such an option, but still, using the plugin one, is quite nice as a proof of concept Smiley

cool, guys Smiley thumbs up!

NoWhereMan
-- Windows mom: «Finish your veggies! There are processes in Ubuntu that are starving to death!»
-- NoWhereBlog (ita)
mtz4life

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 09:30:03 pm »

. opera 9, wouhou thx you told me there's a preview for it:D but no menubar... weird, because I usually use the menubar a lot in my apps..

there is a menu bar in opera 9 preview 2, and its shown by default ..but there is an option to hide it( it the shortcut menu).

i was chatting last week and i kind of notice it and i wonder how hard amsn life would be like if i had to press ctrl+m to get/hide menu bar functionality and i asked myself these questions:

how many people go to the menu bar, click amsn->close to close the window?, i hardly do this, i always go to the X button on the window.
how many people go to the menu bar, click send file to send a file? i would assumne most people would just click the button on the chat window.

How many people go to the menu bar to use the edit options? right clicking on the text areas should give all those functionality.

How often do people use those options in the view section?

Now just imagine how beautifully the chat window will look like without the menu bar? ..

I am not trying to bash amsn or anything and i am not critizing you guys for the fine work you are doing ..i am just trying to highlight "the old way of thinking", .. I havent used vista, ie7 or the next msoffice, i just see their pics online and i just wonder how they are getting away with it ..amsn will look very nice without it in vista dont you guys things ...it cant hurt being vista ready, does it?, Cheesy ..kde friendly?

Vista's way of doing thing is going to be "the standard" pretty soon and microsoft seems to be going away from the menu bar ..linux too is going in this direction ..i dont know if its a considence but all the program that i use the most support this feature, opera(my main webrowser), amarok(audio player), kaffeine(video player), konqueror(file manager), where is amsn?? ..mmhh ..maybe thats why i requested this feature Cheesy  ..always wondered how firefox would look like with this option? ..mmhhh,on my way to request it ..

have a nice week guys ..your work is greatly appreciated

mtz4life

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 05:32:06 am »

. and vista is on the way to be installed (90% downloaded ) so I'll take a look..

are you done? what do you think? is it worth upgrading my 4 year old comp. to support it? ..it will be interesting to see what you think about it ..care to share?

mtz

vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 11:29:35 am »

Control-M binding added to CVS. Please be patient until the tarball decides to sync...
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 09:48:15 pm »

cool vivia, I'll try it out too and see how it looks!
mtz4life : vista... build 5308... what can I say, not ready yet... anyways, I don't want off topic talk in this forum, so I wrote it all in here : http://amsn.sourceforge.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=809
I have a 3 year old comp, amd 2500+, 1 GB of RAM and Gforce FX 5600, and it seems to be running just ok, still a little bit slow, I'll probably need to upgrade my PC too... (I'm thinking about getting a new one...)

KaKaRoTo
mtz4life

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2006, 12:35:31 am »

..thanks vivia, i am using the feature right now..will it also be there on the chat window? ..before the next release, perhaps :lol:

NoWhereMan
Contributor
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2006, 07:49:12 pm »

if I can ask it... when you have time... every single time you click on the winskin plugin buttons, they're refreshed and flicker (blech Tongue), if you can avoid them to refresh would be nicer, still, way cool Smiley

NoWhereMan
-- NoWhereBlog (ita)
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 12:03:11 am »

It is more complicated on the chatwindow and I don't feel like coding it right now. For the main window it was just 5 lines of code... I really prefer to start bugfixing instead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: