aMSN Forums
September 24, 2017, 04:21:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Desktop integration feature request.  (Read 5185 times)
franlever

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:32:15 pm »

Hi,

I would like to be able to choose my open dialog since I use fluxbox and sometimes the gtk dialog comes out, sometimes de KDE dialog.

I would also like to be able to see the images I am about to send, in firefox or chrome I can see the previews in the gtk dialog, but I can't in the amsn dialog.

In the qt4 dialog I can't acitvate the tumbnails (i really tried), so I see only icons.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:25:03 am »

Hi,
what it does is :
1 - it searches for zenity and for kdialog.. if you have one of them, it chooses it, if you have both then...
2 - it checks the environment variable DESKTOP_SESSION, if it's gnome or kde, it chooses zenity/kdialog depending on that,
3 - if DESKTOP_SESSION is 'xfce' it chooses zenity
4 - it then does a 'ps aux | grep gnome' and 'ps aux | grep kde' and checks the number of processes with 'kde' in their name and with 'gnome' in their name...
5 - if the number of gnome processes is more than the number of kde proceses, it chooses zenity, otherwise, it chooses kdialog.

What I suggest, since noone is maintaining the plugin is that you send us a patch for it to fix it... maybe just add a if DESKTOP_SESSION == fluxbox.. or maybe you could just launch amsn from a script that does :
Code:
#!/bin/bash
DESKTOP_SESSION="gnome" /usr/share/amsn/amsn

about the thumbnails, I have no idea, maybe zenity or kdialog have an option for it.. check their man page and adds it to the launch command.

KaKaRoTo
franlever

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:15:20 am »

Thanks a lot for your reply
I launch amsn with a fluxbox hotkey so I'll just add
DESKTOP_SESSION="kde" /usr/share/amsn/amsn
to the line of the hotkey by now, if I ever have time I'll learn tcl and modify the plug in.
I'll also che the man pages of zenity and kde later.
If I get something I will post it here.

EDIT: I just tried
DESKTOP_SESSION="kde"
and oddly the dialog is different to the Qt4 dialog I got before. and it's much better, it solves the thumbnail problem.
I tried DESKTOP_SESSION="gnome" and got the same gtk dialog with tiny thumbs but no preview (like the one that has firefox or chrome)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: