aMSN Forums
November 21, 2018, 08:49:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: installing/updating amsn  (Read 7186 times)
karenbee

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2009, 12:42:28 am »

Hi
I don't know if anyone can help me.  I was happily running the older version of aMSN until this evening when I opened it and it told me there was an available update.  I seemed to be unable to install the autopackager or any other download and in an attempt to try and sort this I messed up and now have the original version that came with my Acer Aspire which won't even log in.  I am really not very good with Linux and would need real step by step instructions if anyone was able to help?  Pretty please!

thanks
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:30:46 am »

Hi, welcome to the forums..
the download page already has a link to autopackage.org which has very simple step by step instructions... if it doesn't work for you for some reason, take the time to at least explain what problem you had, which error message was displayed, which step failed, etc.. otherwise, we can't magically guess how to help you.

KaKaRoTo
karenbee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 04:07:21 pm »

OK sorry Sad  I used the autopackage which downloaded fine.  I double clicked on it and it started to look as though it was going in install and then said something like 'can't undo the package'.  Sorry I can't be more specific but for some reason I now can't download the same autopackage file.  In my attempt to sort it, I right clicked on the autopackage icon and I think I clicked something like 'remove package'.  Now any file I download says 'sh' in the middle not autopackage and it wants to open with Installpatch.  And when I try that it says the 'The patch file does not available'.  I also have downloaded a TGZ file, but can't seem to do anything with that either.  Sorry I sound so moronic, but I am not really used to Linux at all.  I did initially update the aMSN file last year when I first got the AA1, but I am sure that the autopackage just installed when I double clicked it.

Does any of that help?
karenbee

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 11:43:35 am »

Kakaroto - are you still there?  Please help?
thanks
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 12:12:59 pm »

yeah sorry, got busy..
well, your explanation is better, but not very helpful unfortunately, it just seems like "random and weird problems" to which I do not have an answer for... The way we do it is to basically compile amsn, but that's not really for linux newbies... most people just install amsn through their distribution's package manager, but you have this Acer Aspire which I think comes with its own distribution which is Linpus I think, and it only has an old version (0.96 I think)... I would suggest that you just install the latest Ubuntu netbook version on your netbook, at least they have the latest version of amsn, and it's usually to know what's happening on that...
However, I'm guessing you probably don't want to reinstall your whole pc.. so here's the thing.. I just googled for "install amsn acer aspire" and I found this link :
http://www.unixmen.com/linux-distributions/linpus/77-install-softwares-on-linpus
what it basically does is add repositories for fedora's distribution into your own system, then installs amsn from the fedora repositories...  I would not suggest you to do that because we don't want fedora's repositories to screw up your linpus system...
anyways, here's a direct link to fedora's amsn package : http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/amsn/0.98.1/3.fc12/i686/amsn-0.98.1-3.fc12.i686.rpm
try to install that and see if it works or not.. just download the rpm file and try to open it... let's hope it works...
you should also maybe try to completely remove the amsn autopackage file, then redownload it, then try to execute it again (make sure you make the file executable), or maybe try to run it in a terminal and see if it makes any difference....
anyways, I gave you lots of options, you choose, what I would do is :
1- first retry with autopackage
2 -try installing the amsn rpm directly
3 - try the solution from that link I gave
4 - scrap linpus and install a real distribution...
basically try my solutions in the reverse order I gave them to you, lol
good luck, hope it works!

KaKaRoTo
karenbee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 03:15:08 pm »

Hi
Thanks for your response.  I was very hopeful and tried first of all installing the rpm file as I have already tried several times installing the autopackage one.  It was going well until I got the following message
Unable to resolve dependencies for some packages selected for installation.  The details were as follows:
Missing Dependency: libsoup-2.4.so.1 is needed by package amsn
Missing Dependency: tcl-snack is needed by package amsn
Missing Dependency: libgupnp-igd-1.0.so.2 is needed by package amsn
Missing Dependency: amsn = 0.96-7.fc7 is needed by package amsn-plugins
Missing Dependency: libgio-2.0.so.0 is needed by package amsn
Missing Dependency: libgupnp-1.0.so.3 is needed by package amsn
Missing Dependency: libgssdp-1.0.so.2 is needed by package amsn
Missing Dependency: tcl(abi) = 8.5 is needed by package amsn
Missing Dependency: libv4l2.so.0 is needed by package amsn
Missing Dependency: libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.11) is needed by package amsn
Missing Dependency: libgstfarsight-0.10.so.0 is needed by package amsn

I am nervous to follow the other link because you suggested it might screw up other aspects of linpus and I sure as hell don't know how to scrap linpus and install a real distribution!  So I guess that means I am stuck unless you know how to deal with the error message above?

thanks very much for your help
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 08:56:54 am »

yeah, that's a huge list of dependencies.. using that 3rd solution would fix it, but it would install all those dependencies, maybe those dependencies depend themselves on some other package which will get installed too, and you might end up upgrading some older libraries on your system which may need those older files, etc... I think what the person on that post was saying is that you should install fedora itself with the command 'sudo yum install fedora-release' which would upgrade everything and you'd get a fedora system instead of linpus (yes, no reboot required, it's not windows :p) but I'm not really confident about that.. sorry it's really do it at your own risks..

KaKaRoTo
karenbee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 11:02:09 am »

Well if you are not confident with trying it I sure as hell am not!  Thanks anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: