aMSN Forums
September 20, 2018, 08:16:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to open router ports (to fix webcam issues)  (Read 42909 times)
omnix

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2009, 06:52:31 pm »

hey, when i try to use webcam, my friends say they can only see a white screen,
i tried changing my router number from 6980 to 6900, but it still says i am behind a firewall,
any suggestions what to do?
(i am not very tech savvy, so simple instructions would be appreciated Cheesy)
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:45:35 pm »

Hi, welcome to the forums..
I can see you're not tech savvy :p
I don't know what you did with "change the router number".. I don't even know what it means..
what you need is simple steps on how to "forward ports to your computer", just open safari/firefox and google for "how to forward ports " and add the model of your router (it should be written under it).
For example, I have a linksys WRT54G router, so I googled "how to forward ports linksys WRT54G" and the first link is : http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/default.htm
which explains it very well...
when you need to enter your "IP address" open you mac's "system preferences", then go to "Network" under "Internet & Wireless" and select whatever says "Connected" and it should be written under the status the ip address (in my case it's "AirPort is connected to ..... and has the IP address 192.168.1.102"
hope that helps.

KaKaRoTo
drchink

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 03:26:01 am »

ok so im trying to fix my webcam and i get stuck here.

what do i choose there? and am i writting the 6900 in the right spot?

thanks
Anael
Power user

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 03:33:04 am »

Try and see Wink

With the few information I can see on your screenshot, it appears to be ok if you have change the msn configuration to port 6900 Wink

Regards
drchink

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:56:39 pm »

the first post says ports from 6980 to 6900, but when i enter 6980 it says its an invalid port. and also in application type, is it none(default). thanks for the help, i've been trying to fix this problem for a while.
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:18:59 pm »

To: 6900

So just change the From and you're ready to go.
Sushumna

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 10:59:00 pm »

OK I have forwarded the ports to my static IP address. and it was working.. and now it isnt. still says I am behind a firewall. cant send files or use webcam. and as I am on an apple mac (OSX.4) normal msn does not support webcam.

it is really frustrating.. why does amsn need port forwarding... skype does not ask for this, nor does normal msn, and nor does Yahoo... why does amsn?

what can I do to get this working again. I have chekced the ports and they are open, but amsn does to think that they are. I have also tried from a pc using amsn, the sme problem
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 01:27:35 am »

Maybe your LAN IP changed? Check that your LAN IP is mapped in the router config with the port that you want
medinspain

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 02:57:42 pm »

I recently had a wifi router installed and since then I can't use cam on amsn, it works fine on yahoo and skype, when I go to connection it tells me that I am behind a firewall or router, I have changed the IP number but still no success... any suggestions?
medinspain

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 10:04:57 pm »

I have tried to forward the port and change the LAN IP, i get the message that the IP is illegal
Anael
Power user

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 01:40:28 am »

Hi,

Could you explain more precisly which configuration you have made ?
jdavis70

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 02:45:12 am »

Quick question - does webcam send/receive NOT work if I connect through my secure proxy server??  I am guessing that it does not.  However, when I try connecting directly then I am getting router/firewall issues.  My problem is that I work overseas in a Chinese school.  I am really not sure how to connect to the ethernet switch / router that they are using to even attempt to adjust port forwarding.  If I can get the name/model # of the router is that enough?  I have tried Mercury Messenger so many times (about 3 years now), and have never really had great success with their webcam feature - most of the time it does not work for me.  When I found out about aMSN I got really excited - at first glance it looks like it will work great.  Now I have these firewall/router issues.  Why is it so difficult for Mac users to get a program that "just works?"  I have NO problems with Yahoo Messenger, NO problems with Skype.  It is soooooo frustrating when it comes to MSN, because most contacts that I wish to webcam chat with are strictly MSN users.
jdavis70

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 02:58:34 am »

I forgot - I also wanted to add, when running windows on bootcamp, and using Microsoft's Windows Live Messenger - I also have NO problems using the webcam.  If this is the case, then why are there only firewall / router issues when using aMSN on my mac os platform?
doz19

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 10:15:26 pm »

i cant find internet and networking in  network cos i read people should go on that in the previous posts, i posted my forum bout this please answer if you know how to help!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: