aMSN Forums
December 12, 2018, 08:45:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where do I find the plugins I just installed?  (Read 7931 times)
L2K

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2009, 06:45:12 pm »

Ok, maybe I'm stupid, but I just installed the bigsmiley plugin as well as the emoticon batch installer one.
Where do I access the batch installer, and how do I view my smilies in a bigger format??
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:24:25 pm »

Hi, welcome to the forums..
first, which operating system do you use? And how did you install them? did you follow the instructions on the wiki or, if you're using a mac, used the installer application that comes with aMSN ?
either way, go to the Account menu (or aMSN menu, if on Mac) and then choose 'Select plugins', and load the plugins you just installed.
For the emoticon importer, you click on Configure, and you choose the directory to batch import.

KaKaRoTo
L2K

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:46:19 pm »

OK I got it, thanks =D
Btw I'm using mac, and it was the 'configure' part that I hadn't really realized existed. The whole installation was fine.. hehe~

This is unrelated, and I probably shouldn't hi-jack my own thread to ask about it but, I can't write Japanese/Chinese characters, they just come up as roman letters. I tried searching the forums for a solution to this problem, but nothing seems to work.
Is this something you're working on fixing, or am I gonna have to go with the "write it in some other program and copy/paste into aMsn" solution for now?

Oh, thanks for welcoming me to the forums btw... I just started using aMsn yesterday. I'd kinda been switching around between adium, mercury messenger, amsn and windows msn for mac for a while, but always seemed to come back to msn for mac. But yesterday I got fed up with it (don't remember why) and decided to give aMsn another go. So far I'm really liking it... so keep up the good work...
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 03:01:14 am »

Hi,
cool, I like respectful posts like yours Smiley
About the japanese thing, I'm not sure, it should just work fine with amsn on mac.. maybe you should go to preferences->appeareance and make sure utf-8 is selected as your encoding and maybe change the font to a font that supports japanese characters...
And yes, obviously aMSN is the best MSN client ever Smiley

KaKaRoTo
L2K

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 09:55:22 am »

Hi, I tried that yesterday actually, but it didn't work. I just tried again, but aMsn crashed on me. I got this error message:

Code:
invalid command name "::MSN::SB5"
    while executing
"$name cget -server"
    (procedure "cmsn_socket" line 17)
    invoked from within
"cmsn_socket $sb"
    (procedure "cmsn_rng" line 23)
    invoked from within
"cmsn_rng $item"
    ("RNG" arm line 2)
    invoked from within
"switch -- [lindex $item 0] {
MSG {
cmsn_ns_msg $item $message
$message destroy
return 0
}
IPG {
::MSNMobile::MessageReceived "$mess..."
    (procedure "cmsn_ns_handler" line 4)
    invoked from within
"cmsn_ns_handler $command $message"
    (procedure "::NS::Snit_methodhandleCommand" line 58)
    invoked from within
"$options(-name) handleCommand $command"
    (procedure "::Connection::Snit_methodreceivedData" line 53)
    invoked from within
"ns receivedData"

I tried a bunch of different fonts to see if it would make any difference, but it doesn't. It's like the program simply doesn't register that I've changed the input from roman letters to Japanese.
Oh and btw when I couldn't get this to work yesterday I downloaded the most recent version of aMsn (though I think I was using that already, but just to be on the safe side, y'know..) so it's completely up to date... Hmm~
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 11:17:57 am »

Humm... that's weird!
About the "latest version", not sure which one it is.. hehe, if it's the one on the website, then it's not the latest version because we released 0.98 recently but never officially announce it (because it has a bug that we don't want to make public at the moment and the 0.98.1 is about to be released very soon).
I suggest you try the 0.98 version : http://sourceforge.net/projects/amsn/files/amsn/0.98
About not detecting the language thing, I'm not really sure, I thought it would work, it's weird it doesn't.. i'll have a look over the weekend.

EDIT: actually, I took a quick look and you're right, it works with other languages like arabic, but not with hiragana for some reason, there's nothing we can do to fix that though, sorry.
I also looked up on Tcl/Tk and they say here : http://wiki.tcl.tk/1356
A note on Japanese on Mac OS X: There is initial code and patches to do IMEs. It's not yet production-ready though. Also the current display engine is not quite up to the task, because it is still based on old (pre Mac OS X) APIs, which have severe limitations.

Since aMSN relies on Tcl/Tk, it means it won't work until they fix it. sorry, you'll have to stick with the copy/pasting trick for now!

KaKaRoTo
L2K

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 04:49:51 pm »

I seem to be having a slight issue with this new version, but I don't know if this is a bug you're already aware of (I posted a thread about it development related issues forum)...

Anyway I guess no more can be said about the Japanese character issue. It's not your fault, so I can't even plead for you to 'please make fixing this issue your top priority'..... I'm just gonna have to be patient.
Anyway thanks for the nice support and quick replies =)
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 08:58:37 pm »

You're welcome! Smiley

KaKaRoTo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: