aMSN Forums
May 27, 2018, 05:51:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use our EyeToy webcam (playstation 2 webcam) ?  (Read 5704 times)
Punkerfrancais

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2009, 06:07:38 pm »

Hey everybody  :wink:

We are some people on Ubuntu Jaunty for example, that cannot use their eyetoy webcam with amsn. Camera works well with softwares as Cheese because it uses the resolution 640x480, that is the default configuration of this webcam.
When we use this webcam with a resolution of 320x240, we can see some 'lines' on the video  as here (french forum talking about it) : http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=314213

Unfortunaly, It seems that there is no options to choose the resolution of the webcam in Amsn. Then, how can we do ? Perhaps it exists a configuration file that can permit it?

Thank you for your support and your ideas  Smiley
Punkerfrancais

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 07:44:33 pm »

Sad  my post doesn't seem attract many peoples. No ideas?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 08:56:28 pm »

Hi,
sorry for not answering, I somehow didn't see your post before...
It seems to be a problem with the driver, I suggest you contact the responsable for the driver so they can fix it... with aMSN, you cannot use a resolution other than 320x240 (or 160x120 if you enable low resolution webcam checkbox), that's simply a limitation on the codec and we have no control over it.. if we use any different resolution, the codec will either crash or just refuse to encode the image...
sorry!

p.s.: with the latest aMSN release, you can actually do a full bidirectional audio and video call and I suspect that it would work better with it since the codec is different (althought the max resolution used for H263 is 352x288, I think the method used is more efficient for enabling that resolution)...
I hope this helps!

KaKaRoTo
arantes
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:57:59 pm »

But couldn't aMSN do something like take the video at a higher resolution and downscale it ?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 01:59:02 am »

We could do it, but I won't do it myself, simply because even if we take 640x480, we've got no guarantee that's the native resolution of the webcam (other cams have higher resolution, others can't get more than 320x240). If you want to patch it and give us a patch that adds a 'hidden' config key to allow something like that (like having to manually enter ::config::setKey cam_native_resolution "640x480" in amsn's console) and that wouldn't affect others, then yes, i could merge it...
Note also that even if a cam does 640x480 natively, the hardware/driver is able to request a 320x240 resolution, so no downscaling is necessary (no extra CPU usage necessary).

KaKaRoTo
Punkerfrancais

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 06:58:00 pm »

Hey!

You don't need to apologize, kakaroto. I only read the answers today, I haven't see notifications about this post, in my mailbox ;-)

Good idea for the patch. Hope that anyone will be interested to have a look on it.

Um, I am curious to try with latest version (bidirectional streams), I will post news if I have time to test it this week...

Thank you for your interest.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: