aMSN Forums
July 22, 2014, 06:25:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Multilanguage amsn Web site  (Read 48057 times)
sabit ertan

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:25:05 pm »

Hi everyone,
Why amsn web site havent multilanguage support. I am from Turkey and people like amsn but when i try to them use amsn they worried because of website in English. They think it is small project because of website has only one language. If there any chance we can translate web site to other language and people will be happy.

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 12:41:22 am »

beslama! welcome to the forums!
The website was supposed to be multilangual but we didn't get time to do that and we eventually dropped it simply because we don't really have time to manage a multilangual website, nor do we have time to finish writing the changes to it...
The website's source code is available in SVN (http://amsn.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/amsn/trunk/www ) and you could download it, put it on your local website and improve it to become multilangual... You would be missing the text itself since it's in a database (not accessible for non-admins) but if you could at least work out the php code to make it multilangual, we could give it a try!
Thanks.

KaKaRoTo
sabit ertan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 09:46:25 am »

ok i just download it and start translating to Turkish, also i will try new form for adding new options or change structure for add new languages easily.
(and sorry but what do you mean with beslama! if you want say welcome in Turkish it is Merhaba! or Hoşgeldin! and pronunciation very different from english:) )

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 09:54:04 am »

Cool! Thanks!
If you see SQL code that tries to get text from a database, try to change the code so it fetches with something like "AND lang=en" (where 'en' would be the language in the GET/POST request).. and make sure you escape it to avoid SQL injection!

KaKaRoTo
Anael
Power user

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 04:58:04 pm »

Hello,

As I see on the svn, the website is already (at minima) translated for a part : a fonction trans('id') is called in many pages.
Is it a mailing list where the actual developper can be joined, in order to don't create again the wheel?

Or are all the website developpers dead ? ;-)
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:09:31 pm »

hehe, well the website developers aren't dead (hopefully!) but they're not available anymore, so basically, we have no website developer...
You can discuss anything about amsn development (and this issue) in the amsn-devel mailing list. You need to subscribe first before posting (low traffic) : https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/amsn-devel
And yes, the website originally was planned, designed and developed for french and spanish, and the original beta of the website was like that, but then we drop the language bar (there's a commented line in includes/side-panel.php for including side-panel-language.php) because we didn't/couldn't/wouldn't maintain multiple languages and because the translation stuff was incomplete and we wanted to launch the website officially as soon as possible... but we never got around to finishing the localization work and reenabling the multilanguage stuff..

KaKaRoTo
sabit ertan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 06:18:59 pm »

i have started to seperate all-in-php codes to pure-php and pure-html(with smarty) also tried "define" php function for adding and easily customizable new language file(like in oscommerce). but this going slow Sad. I think I will done it about 2-3 weeks

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 09:16:12 pm »

cool, thanks for letting us know how it goes, and don't worry take your time, we've had a single language for years, so we're really not in a hurry Smiley

KaKaRoTo
sabit ertan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 04:18:54 pm »

Hi there finally Defining all text is done!. What after?
1. Adding all text to right definitions.
2. Start good translation.
3. share defined english.php here to people translate it to their languages(if anyone interest)
3. (if i can) seperating all codes with smarty

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 11:52:08 pm »

Cool!
If you want, you can send me patches so I can have a look and start testing and put them in the website already...

KaKaRoTo
sabit ertan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 10:46:17 am »

hello again here is what i am done about the site:
Defining all "text based" site part to a language file(en.php). Adding text to definitions. I have started translating to Turkish.
Here patced/edited full site(also there is complete amsn.sql file). Check it please

aMSN multilingual demo
For download full site files visit
http://yavhehe.byethost16.com/
and click "aMSN site with new language files" link to download amsn.tar.gz

Note: in this demo there is no skins or plugins to download

arantes
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 03:50:44 pm »

Excellent work sabit ertan !
Just one thing, i wanted to download the file to do the french translation, but i cant, the second link you gave just redirects me to http://my-php.net/notify/2.php
BW
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 04:43:36 pm »

Hi arantes,
using this link from http://yavhehe.byethost16.com/
worked for me (there it's 'aMSN site with new language')
(probably byethost16 doesn't want to provide download-able files for other pages)
sabit ertan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 08:28:35 pm »

Thanks to arantes and BW,it is my fault, yavhehe.byethost is a free account and doesn't able to download using other pages. if you want to add new language please use iso code for file name(for example French, fr.php) and save file with UTF_8 standart.

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 10:42:26 pm »

Hey sabit ertan, excellent work! That's really awesome!
I'll download the code later today (or tomorrow) and review your changes and upload to SVN..
By the way, one small thing I noticed is that when you go to downloads and click 'linux' the language switches back to english.. maybe you should have some type of cookie or a variable in the POST rather than the &lang= in the URL, this way it won't be lost and will require minimal changes (instead of modifying every little link in the code, even for skin/plugin screenshots, or whatever) to have that '&lang' in it..
also, you may need a solution for the 'Download aMSN' buttons, they are images right? We could either have a php file generate those images (like we generate the images for the poll results) or we could have a download-en.png download-tr.png etc...
Apart from that, great job!

KaKaRoTo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: