aMSN Forums
September 16, 2019, 11:33:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Docking  (Read 7434 times)
sif519

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2010, 08:18:40 pm »

I've used a number of im clients before however amsn is my favorite, I like how it seems lightweight, doesn't  bog down my system , and can do pretty much everything regular msn can do, However the one feature i find missing from amsn that can be found in at least trillian is docking , having amsn docked to the side of my screen would be a dream come true.
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:07:05 pm »

What OS?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 09:49:44 am »

@sif519: hi, welcome to the forums!
unfotunately, that's not possible, there is a 'winskin' plugin though that *might* help you achieve something similar (always on top, no borders, something like that), but docking in the sense that you are talking about is simply not possible, the causes are :
1 - we use tcl/tk development language which does not support that...
2 - that's a very specific windows feature that would require writing a C extension to the Tcl/Tk language, and it would only work for windows
3 - we are a multiple client, and we tend to avoid implementing something OS specific if other oses can't take advantage of the same thing (reasonably).
4 - there just isn't any need for it, you're the very first person to request this, out of our multi-million users...
5 - even if we were willing to do it, there is no time, and we'd prefer spending the small amount of time we have for the project on something of a higher priority.

@alexandernst: he's on windows (talking about trillian) and when he said 'docking' he means when the window 'docks' to one side of the screen.. it's a windows specific feature, where you can make a window take over desktop space (kind of like the taskbar) and no application can go over it, etc.. as if that part of the screen isn't part of the desktop. You understand ?

KaKaRoTo
alexandernst
Developers
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 11:22:39 am »

uummm.... kind of.... i'll search on google images for that (a). thx kkrt! Smiley
sif519

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 01:10:32 am »

Ahh , well im glad that it's something that simply isn't possible rather than something that just hasn't been worked on.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: