aMSN Forums
May 27, 2018, 05:55:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: High CPU load after a while of aMSN usage  (Read 3463 times)
Jug

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2009, 07:29:30 pm »

I pretty consistently get a high CPU load and thus a hot laptop after some aMSN usage, an hour or two, perhaps.

Restarting aMSN every now and then is the only way I can see that this problem is resolved.

I'm on a MacBook Pro 2,4 GHz (Oct 2008 model) and OS X 10.6, but this happened on OS X 10.5 as well.

Screenshot: (33% CPU usage, 7 threads, 60 MB usage, 88 MB virtual)

Sometimes the CPU goes even higher, sometimes lower, but pretty often more than as low as it is soon after starting aMSN.
Jug

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 07:41:45 pm »

Wow, after closing and re-opening the message window, it dropped by 15%, and if I later emptied it entirely, it dropped by a further 5%.

So my CPU load seem to dramatically increase in aMSN the more text there is in the message windows (smileys? or is pure text perhaps enough?).

Sounds odd if displaying some text and images have such a major effect on the load, but this is what I see anyway, and now I can at least empty the log more often to keep my CPU load and poor battery life down.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 05:03:08 am »

Hi, welcome to the forums...
I don't know about any high CPU usage in aMSN, so it's really weird.. however what you said about chat windows makes a tiny little bit of sense.. yes, chat windows containing a lot of animated custom smileys (text shouldn't matter) would increase the CPU usage (especially if one of the smileys is defective/corrupted and causes amsn to play the animation really fast)..
I just want to make sure of something though... please make sure you are using the latest version of aMSN (0.98), it should work much better and be much more CPU efficient with regards to animated smileys... If you're already using it.. then sorry, i wouldn't really know how to help you...

KaKaRoTo
Jug

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 01:19:10 pm »

Oh, OK, yes, these are indeed using animated custom smileys pretty often.

They aren't played very fast, but pretty common.

Yes, I'm already using 0.98 (I had to since I'm using Snow Leopard), but thanks for the help anyway.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: