aMSN Forums
May 25, 2018, 09:13:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "You are firewllaed or behind a router" - so what?  (Read 4758 times)
Rincewind

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:53:18 pm »

When trying to set up aMSN correectly so that I can exchange video and audio data, I get this messge: "You are firewalled or behinda  router". My first reaction is "Of course I am". Surely nobody who has ever had any expereoince of running a Microsoft operating system would ever operate a computer without at least one of these. Even though I'm rnnung aMSN under Linux I do have some Windows computers on my hgome LAN - so I have to use a router and I prefer to use a firewall, even nder Linux.

Or is AMSN telling me that this advice is not good advice? In which case which should I abandon: the router or the firewall? (Actually I have no intention of doing eithers - it's much safer to find a different chat client first!)

So what is the point of this message that aMSN has sent? There is no box that says 'OK' to confirm that aMSN has  detected my configuration correctly.

What do I do with this information?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:52:48 am »

Hi again, lol at your messages, you're really funny in the way you perceive all these messages!
If you have any advices on how to improve the user interface and make it less confusing to the users, you're welcome to write us a summary of everything you think should be changed (and provide a patch if you know how to code).
Anyways, the FAQ has an entry about this : http://www.amsn-project.net/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#I.27m_using_aMSN_behind_a_firewall.2C_or_using_IP-Masquerade._Sending_files_won.27t_work.2C_can_I_fix_it.3F
basically aMSN is telling you that you are not directly connected to the internet (you're behind a firewall or a router) which will lower greatly your changes of getting a successful direct connection with a friend in order to send/receive a file or webcam... (file transfer and webcam will mostly still work but with a much lower speed/framerate). So what you need to do is to forward the appropriate ports in your router to let aMSN  connect directly with your friends...

KaKaRoTo
Rincewind

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:25:58 pm »

Quote from: "kakaroto"

Great, this FAQ has been most helpful - I do not now receive any inscrutable messages about connection: both messages presented in the Connection part of preferences are green in colour and say 'OK' - or words to that effect.

However, having green messages is not my target - I would also like to be able send/receive files (and maybe even some web-cams pictures if I can ever find a contact pretty enough to be worth looking at....). Sadly, however, all 'sends' to me are slightly incomplete: I get the file name but zero content. Similarly, so 'sends' from me result in the recipient seeing anything worth while - no or incomplete transmission. We do not receive any error messages, other than the aMSN 'File Transfer window opening and never closing, showing zero progress.

Where should I be looking to do more fault diagnosis?
mix9001

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:59:42 am »

I don't think his reaction is funny at all.  I had the same reaction.

A new user who has just installed this software will naturally find the message irritating.  Yes, we can assume that since it's red it is bad.  However, it should be more explicit and informative.  Is it a critical error, or just an advisory?  Instead of just saying "you're behind a firewall", which is pointless because the user almost suredly already knows this, the message should say something like "You're firewall settings are blocking the proper functioning of aMSN for file transfers and webcam." if it is indeed critical.  If possible, it should also report what ports were attempted and blocked.

I mention the ports part because when I've tried these tests, my soft firewall is reporting connection attempts on local ports such as 3602 and 3707!

The reason you think the reaction is funny is because you've probably been dealing with this issue for a long time.  A new user does not have the same history and familiarity with the software, and sees this message as cryptic.

Quote from: "kakaroto"
Hi again, lol at your messages, you're really funny in the way you perceive all these messages!
If you have any advices on how to improve the user interface and make it less confusing to the users, you're welcome to write us a summary of everything you think should be changed (and provide a patch if you know how to code).
Anyways, the FAQ has an entry about this : http://www.amsn-project.net/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#I.27m_using_aMSN_behind_a_firewall.2C_or_using_IP-Masquerade._Sending_files_won.27t_work.2C_can_I_fix_it.3F
basically aMSN is telling you that you are not directly connected to the internet (you're behind a firewall or a router) which will lower greatly your changes of getting a successful direct connection with a friend in order to send/receive a file or webcam... (file transfer and webcam will mostly still work but with a much lower speed/framerate). So what you need to do is to forward the appropriate ports in your router to let aMSN  connect directly with your friends...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: