aMSN Forums
February 20, 2018, 04:25:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Improvements on webcam support  (Read 6567 times)
w

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2009, 02:37:30 am »

A Brazilian programmer show this week on his blog how to add support for VGA images of webcams in aMSN (which up the version 0.98b only support images QSIF and SIF). In this (http://caetanus.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/melhorando-o-suporte-a-webcam-do-amsn/) link it shows which lines of codes changed and show a screenshot with the difference in the quality obtained.

Why not add these modifications in amsn 0.98 in development?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 06:15:56 pm »

Hi, welcome to the forums!
Nice link however, I see two issues here :
1 - I don't understand brazilian so I have no idea what he's talking about it
2 - I think that it's completely fake...
VGA means a resolution of 640x480, but obviously, that's not it. ( as you can see in the screenshot, the resolution is the same).
Also, the real problem here is not that we don't want to put VGA or whatever, the problem is that the codec used is fixed (we can't change it), it's called mimic, with an fcc of ML20. That codec is proprietary to microsoft, but fortunately, it has been reverse engineered, and one thing is sure, that codec can only work on two resolutions, 160x120 or 320x240... if you give the codec any other resolution, it will crash and burn... so there is no way to up the resolution to 640x480 (VGA).
I think all he did (in the link) is maybe light up the room... or change the brithness or whatever.. one thing is for sure also, that first screenshot was really really bad, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the resolution, it was just a bad brightness or light conditions...
Have a look here : http://images.google.com/images?client=opera&rls=en&q=amsn%20webcam&sourceid=opera&num=100&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi
I just googled "amsn webcam" and I can see many screenshots where the image quality is much better than what that guy has, and noone had to modify our code...
anyways, i'll have a more in depth look later, maybe he does improve something, but it's not VGA or anything like that...
thanks for the link anyway!

EDIT: ahh, I think i understand what he does... instead of capturing directly in 320x240, he instead captures in 640x480 and then resizes the image to 320x240.. so he ges the same resolution but the capture is different.. this works for him only because his webcam driver is crap and doesn't seem to work correctly on lower resolutions... I'll have a look later. If someone could translate it (use google translate, then just fix the bad translation of google).

KaKaRoTo
kjir
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 02:32:33 pm »

This could solve the issues we are being reported about non-working webcams for those who do not support the requires resolutions...
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:14:39 pm »

indeed, however, it only worked better because his webcam supports 640x480 better, what if it supports 1024x768.. the scaling he did was using Tk which is only an integer scaling (320x240 * 2 == 640x480), it won't work for something else... I also think it would be too complicated to check because some webcams do support the lower resolution, so we would be wasting CPU cycles if we did the scaling ourselves.. other webcams report they support that resolution but it doesn't work too good, but we have no way of knowing that either...

KaKaRoTo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: