aMSN Forums
February 20, 2018, 02:50:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 64 bit builds?  (Read 10258 times)
H@t Trick
Super Power User

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2009, 03:54:42 pm »

Hey all,
Back again, hopefully for longer than 1 or 2 posts this time.

I'm testing out Windows 7 RC 64-bit at the moment. I figured I'd try installing it and propmptly searched the forums for 64 bit windows and windows 7 but unless I missed it I couldn't fine anything.

Kakaroto, or one of the other devs: Do you know of anyone running aMSN on Windows 7 yet and what about 64bit Windows binaries? Or would I have to compile everything on my own to have 64bit aMSN on Win7 64bit? Is there a development build for 64bit Windows binaries someone could give me a link to download?

<off-topic>I had to reactivate my user name and force a password reset wtf? it's only been about 2 months since my last login, I've gone longer between logins beforem, is this new?</off-topic>

There's no place like 127.0.0.1!
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:25:25 pm »

nope... no 64bit version, no windows 7 tested...

KaKaRoTo
H@t Trick
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:00:10 am »

ok, so what can I do to help test 64bit windows and windows 7 compatibility?

Which tools would I need to build aMSN and Tcl/Tk 8.5.x for x86-64?

Or should I just run 32bit aMSN?

EDIT: I realize the tcl/tk files won't need to be compiled but tcl/tk would, guessing I could get them from active state, but arent there some aMSN files that need to be compiled?

billiob
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:24:52 am »

you'll need to compile tkcximage and maybe others dlls...
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 07:51:28 pm »

yeah.. you'll need to recompile a lot of stuff.. I don't understand why 32bit binaries wouldn't work on 64bits... about windows 7 compatibility, just testing and making sure it works.. search the forums for 'windows 7' to see what others said/asked... about compilation, it won't be an easy task... but you'll need MS Visual Studio.

KaKaRoTo
H@t Trick
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:30:20 am »

32bit binaries should work ok. I just thought "Hey, Linux guys get full 64bit if they so choose, why not Windows guys?"
As for searching I searched "windows 7", "64bit windows" "x64 Windows" and other variations with and without the quotes.

What language are the files that need to be compiled in? Would the Intel or GCC compiler work? I love Windows but avoid anything else I can from Microsoft.

I'll find the rest of the information I need from the Wiki I suppose.

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:24:13 am »

lol, i honestly don't know, but I guess that gcc *should* work.. however no guarantees there since it was never tested...
linux guys get 64 bits because they usually choose 64bit only architectures with no 32bit compatibility libraries installed.. so 32bit libs will simply not work for them.. but for windows, M$ takes care of cross compatibility between 32 and 64bit binaries as far as I know (and noone ever complained/requested it)

KaKaRoTo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: