aMSN Forums
April 26, 2018, 10:55:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New and Gooey: GUI blog  (Read 56316 times)
bluetit
Power user

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2005, 04:08:50 pm »

Well hello there peoples.

Just in case you're interested, I've started a blog at http://newandgooey.blogspot.com marking my progress with re-writing, abstracting and modularising Amsn's gui. It has screenshots and stuff, and you're free to post ideas or anything you like really Smiley

Tom (Amsn UI Designer/Programmer)

~Bluetit
BoneFill

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 12:18:31 am »

Hi Tom I've been there and all I can say is...

THOSE SCREENS ARE AWESOME! Cheesy

I know the rule is not to ask when it will be released so I'm not asking but... hehehe Cheesy

Nice Job! Cheesy

Oh! BTW don't know if this is hard to do but I think that the nickname and the status should be in differrent lines for 2 reasons mostly:

1.- I hate my nick ending with "…" just because the status message doesn't fit in the window and My nick is always just "Daniel B." now imagin those who likes to use nicks like "The dark rose from dead that will loves you for ever even if the world is destroyed by an alien that... " hehe Cheesy see the point?

2.- Nicks and Status are two different features and should be separated not just by the color (like it is now) it's a matter of "use" just like the "Actions" and "Tools" menus are not mixed.
bluetit
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 06:25:37 pm »

Hehe, thanks.

About the suggestions you made, the way I coded the system it's perfefctly flexible, so it's easy to adjust positions of everything... I can explain the way it works fi you really want to know, but I guess you just want nice screenshots Wink

If you have any more comments or anything, please comment at the blog rather than here, as I don't check bak here often. And keep checking the blog for more stuff!

Thanks Smiley

Tom

~Bluetit
bluetit
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 06:26:13 pm »

Hehe, thanks.

About the suggestions you made, the way I coded the system it's perfectly flexible, so it's easy to adjust positions of everything... I can explain the way it works if you really want to know, but I guess you just want more nice screenshots Wink

If you have any more comments or anything, please comment at the blog rather than here, as I don't check back here often. And keep checking the blog for more stuff!

Thanks Smiley

Tom

~Bluetit
dave_1820

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 06:53:53 am »

hi that screenshoots, its great how i can use that in my amsn im speak spanish so i dont unsdetend so good for that its myi question sorry for mi englsih, i undesternd dont its finishid or  i can use that now.

THanks and another time sorry for miy english
bluetit
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 06:00:20 pm »

Hi!
The blog is to show progress with the re-writing of AMSN's GUI (Graphical User Interface).
The screenshots on the blog show what has been acheived so far.
This code is not in AMSN at the moment, it hasn't been released. This means that you won't be able to have stuff that the screenshot shows until it's released into AMSN, which will be sometime in the future.

If you need someone to translate this, tell me and I'll ask a spanish friend Smiley

Tom

~Bluetit
dave_1820

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 12:56:18 am »

thanks for your ansewer i undesternd good

Thanks, good job
bluetit
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 05:45:10 pm »

Hey all!
If you want to see a good example of the progress being made with widgets for amsn, go over to the blog ( http://newandgooey.blogspot.com ). The latest post has a screen of the preferences windo wusing new button, checkbutton, and radiobutton widgets.

Cheers,
Tom

~Bluetit
GuS-Arg
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 08:56:51 am »

Hi Tom!!

I'm wondering wich program do you use to design those Gui?

Thanks!!

Cheers.

majinsoftware
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 11:18:22 am »

I would say some sort of note pad as tcl/tk doesnt really have a gui editor unless he ported the whole project to visural tcl.
bluetit
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 09:16:54 pm »

Quote from: "GuS-Arg"
Hi Tom!!

I'm wondering wich program do you use to design those Gui?

Thanks!!

Cheers.

I wrote all the code in a simple text editor. Mainly KWrite, sometimes Gedit.

Tom

~Bluetit
GuS-Arg
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 02:23:33 am »

Thanks for the Tip Tom!

Cheers.

mtz4life

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 05:07:38 am »

HI, i just went to your blog ..nice work, i cant wait to see how it will look when when everything is done ..

do you have any idea when it will done and integrated into amsn ..are we talking about couple of months, years?

i also read here that you are making it flexible, what exactly do you mean by this? I am asking you this because i mainly use amsn and kopete for chatting and in kopete, they have this styles that can be used in chat windows and different people can contribute their styles ..I was wondering when you said, flexible ..did you had this in mind or you were talking about other kind of flexibilty ..it would be nice to have this kind of architecture so that people can contribute their styles and allow people to have a bit of flexibily as to how their texts appear on the chat window ..

people who have used atrium( i think its a mac os X only program ..i dont know, i am just using their styles in kopete .12 alpha1) or kopete might know what i am talking about ...

PCLinuxOS, radically simple
"Linux is evolution, not intelligent design" - linus torvalds
tomhennigan
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 01:43:48 am »

It's adium not atrium.

MacBook Black C2D 2.4 13" - Mac OS X Snow Leopard
http://tomhennigan.co.uk/
mtz4life

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 06:28:00 pm »