aMSN Forums
November 21, 2018, 09:47:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some suggestions  (Read 8968 times)
BeoWulF

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:50:23 pm »

Hey guys,

I've got a couple of suggestions (/bugs):
(I use Windows XP with aMSN portable, don't know if that makes a difference)

1. When logged on as invisible, images from contacts don't load. I would like to be able to view images without being online :twisted: (Windows Messenger does this).

2. When online, some images still don't load until I open a conversation window. Seems pretty random which do and which don't.

3. I have added myself in my contact list, and my own image doesn't load at all (does in Windows Messenger). But this one isn't really important.

4. Minimize to tray uses the same animation as normal minimizing, it should use the animation that moves to the tray (like Windows Messenger).

5. When using Alt-Tab, the aMSN icon is very low res, looks like it uses the task bar icon instead of the program icon (might be the skin I'm using).

6. When right clicking the tray icon, the menu shows up about 100 pixels to the left of the mouse.

And it would be a good idea to change the default skin imo, it's horrible and doesn't look anything like Windows Messenger.

Thanks!
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:58:21 pm »

Hi, welcome to the forums!
1 - You can't and I doubt that Windows messenger does .. simply because in order to download the avatars, you need to create a connection to the other user and ask him to send you that image.. if you do that while being offline (or for blocked contacts) then they can easily figure out who blocked them or who are appearing offline...
2 - possible, I think there was a bug about this which was fixed in the SVN version of aMSN, so if you update to the SVN version, you shouldn't have that problem anymore : http://amsn-project.net/wiki/SVN
3 - normal, we try to load it by opening a chat to ourselves to download it from ourselves (aMSN doesn't make the distinction between your own contact and your other contacts) and it fails because the server answers us with the "you can't chat with yourself" error.. I guess it's easy to fix though, i'll keep it in the TODO. thanks
4 - humm... what? :| there's no animation, at least, we don't do anything like that... we just hide the window and windows takes care of animating stuff (you can enable/disable that stuff in your windows configuration)... and i have absolutely no idea how they animate it to go to the tray and in any case, from amsn's side we have absolutely no power over that because we use an interepreted language which is multiplatform and limits us on doing weird stuff like that.. anyways, it's really by far the least of our priorities....
5 - you're right, I never noticed... well, I don't know exactly how it can be fixed.. however note that we support windows 95 up to vista, while most programs don't support windows 95 or 98... and for those versions of windows (still very popular, don't be shocked) that low resolution image is the best they can get.. if we use a better resolution image, these versions of windows will not show an icon or it will be completely screwed... which is why we have two sets of icons, in theory the high resolution should be used on windows xp... don't know why it's not though...
6 - yes.. it used to work, don't know why.. I'll look into it!

7 (skin) - yes, we're thinking about changing it to the minimal skin http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5314
we don't want to look and do everything 100% like WLM...  their user interface is ugly and bloated so we try to make it better.. the current default skin was chosen by a wide majority of users as being the best skin, it was tweaked to be more 'universal'... and although it's not like windows messenger, I personally think it looks much better! It also gives amsn its unique look... The default skin is made so that most of the people will like it, but as you probably know we CAN'T make everyone happy, that's just impossible, so everyone is free to change the skin to whatever they like...

Thanks a lot for your feedback, it's appreciated, and they are good suggestions. However, I noticed that you're mainly trying to get all of the small details from windows live messenger into aMSN (like the minimize to tray, etc...) and notice that aMSN tries to keep the same feel as windows live messenger so people don't get lost in a completely new user interface (like pidgin for example) but we're not trying to be a 100% clone, we take what we like and we leave what we don't like.. so that aMSN can be even better than windows live messenger.

KaKaRoTo
conta

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:17:19 am »

minimal skin is fine- but it is pidgin-based... i always have problem which one in tray is pidgin and which one is aMsn Smiley)
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:36:25 pm »

oh really? I didn't know it was pidgin based...
oh well.. I guess we'll just try to make the current default skin a bit more minimal but keep the same general look of the skin...

KaKaRoTo
conta

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 07:22:27 pm »

"This skin contains elements of Pidgin IM"

i dont think its problem Smiley changing of status icons would be enough.
BeoWulF

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 09:50:34 pm »

Hey,

Thanks for the reply!

1. I'm 100% sure about this one. When I'm logged in as invisible in Windows Live Messenger 8.5 and I open a conversation window, it loads the picture after a couple of seconds. I'm pretty sure this works with blocked contacts also.

2. Ok cool. Smiley

3. Thanks.

4. Yeah I mean the standard Windows animation. When minimizing aMSN to the tray, it uses the minimize animation (towards the task bar, where it would normally be minimized) and then appears in the tray, so that's not really intuitive. Windows Messenger has a similar animation towards the tray, but I guess you need some sort of specific windows command to get that. I just checked Digsby and it has no animation at all when minimizing to tray, which I think would be better and less confusing if your language allows it.

5. Maybe use a separate installer for Windows 9X?

6. Thanks.

7. I don't like most skins of open-source programs. Yours at least is better than Pidgin, Mercury and Miranda (yech). The one you linked to is nice but it also changes the emoticons, icons, sounds and scrollbars, for which I think default would be better (for the default skin at least). Maybe you could also replace the gray with a specific color, to differentiate aMSN from other programs.

Well it's not so much that I want something that looks exactly the same, just something that looks good. I think these are all improvements in any case, not just because Windows Messenger has them. And obviously improvements that aren't already in Windows Messenger are harder to think of, but I'll let you know if I think of something. Smiley
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 11:25:31 pm »

@conta, it's not really a problem, but aMSN is aMSN, it's not pidgin, so we shouldn't confuse people with regards to that.. we also need 'our skin' our own brand signature... that's why I said it's not good...
@beowulf:
1 - ohh, when you open a conversation window... humm.. we didn't think about that! Indeed, if you open a chat window, then it doesn't matter if you download the display picture because if you're chatting he'll already know you're online...
Anyways, I've just tested this right now with 2 amsns.. one is appearing offline, the other is online, and when I change the DP from the online user, the appear offline account doesn't show it.. but if I open a chat window with the online user, then the new display picture gets downloaded... so I don't see where is the problem, can you explain exactly what the problem is? Maybe this is something that was fixed in SVN recently, so make sure the 'bug' is also appearing in the SVN version of aMSN.
4 - yeah, I tried that on windows and I see what you mean but no, we have no way of doing that..
5 - We only have one codebase for everyone.. we don't want to maintain two branches, one for win9x and the other for win++... Also, like I said, it should still work because in our code we try to use the high resolution icons, if you're on winXP, it will work, if you're on win9x it won't.. I'll look into it.
7- well, there's really tons of skins available, just go to the skins forums and browse through them, i'm sure you'll like one.. and also note that you can create your own if you want to!
There's a few WLM skins if you're interested...
Apart from that, instead of trying a new skin, how about you tell us exactly what's bothering you in the current default skin? this way we can improve it! (we're thinking of removing the boxes around the groups).

KaKaRoTo
BeoWulF

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 04:19:40 am »

1. Yeah it doesn't do what you described. I'll check out the SVN version. But I'm pretty sure Windows Messenger also updates your entire contact list even if you're invisible. And it also loads pictures of blocked users.

4. Not even using no animation? Digsby does this and it's also multi platform.

7. Allright. Smiley
- In the contact list, no boxes and plain white background would be better.
- Top part shouldn't be white to differentiate it from the contact list.
- Contacts take up too much space (make images smaller.)
- No colored nicknames based on status (or make it optional).
- Blue icons with shadows and simple gray layout don't go together, so either everything blue with shadows (like Windows Live Messenger) or everything simple (like the skin you mentioned).
- Icons in chat window are too big and space between the text areas is too wide.
- Messages in the chat window should begin a bit to the right (relative to 'Contact says:').
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: