aMSN Forums
May 28, 2018, 05:49:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: problem with webcam (black screen with red error msg)  (Read 16141 times)
Damien Hoo

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2009, 12:21:03 am »

hi,

i have a problem with my webcam. it seems to be that aMsn could not open it. i go to the "audio and video assistant" and could see my 2 devices ("winfast tv2000 ..." my tv-card and "quickcam obit/sphere mp" my logitech webcam). on the right side i see a black picture and a few seconds a red text "error: no video source initialized".

could anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong ?

i've searched on the forum but i could'nt find a hint.

i use windows XP SP3 and aMSN 0.97.2

thx a lot

Damien
conta

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:21:43 am »

maybe u should try svn version of amsn.

it solves the most of problems here Smiley
Damien Hoo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 04:02:37 pm »

well, i've try it and it's the same problem. black screen with the message "error: no video source initialized"

here is a screenshoot of it:

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:55:46 pm »

humm.. that's on windows... the code that captures webcam isn't ours, we use the tkvideo extension which is pretty stable (last release was in 2005 and noone ever complained about it since then...)
Are you able to use your webcam with other applications ? did you try to unplug/replug it ? did you try rebooting ?
What happens if you choose the other device? does it give the same error for both devices that you have (tv card and webcam) ?

KaKaRoTo
Damien Hoo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 01:04:12 am »

short: yes, yes, yes, the same, yes

long:

booth devices works. i use the cam with skype, with a java based client named mercury (that i don't like) and of course with the original logitech app. each software that i have and that can access a cam could access my cam (except aMsn Wink ). the same with my tv card. i try it with restart and unplug/replug. if i choose the other device (my tv-card) the same problem with the same error appears.

maybe i need special driver or codecs for this tkvideo?

i try to get more information 'bout this tkvideo so maybe i can fix it by myself but if some has a idea, i'm open for all ...

thx a lot

Damien
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 01:21:28 am »

hehe, ok, thanks for the detailed answers...
just so you know.. noone likes mercury! Smiley
well, i've just googled the error and I found an interesting post in here which I had completely forgotten about...
Have a read here : https://firewall.amsn-project.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3203&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Basically, the answer is "uninstall the ACE Mega codec pack".. I don't know if you have that but try to uninstall any codec pack or similar that you have, then use k-lite codec pack or the ccc codec pack...
apparently, ACE mega codec pack installs something that conflicts with tkvideo.. tkvideo uses directshow technology to access the webcam if I remember correctly, and maybe there's a directshow filter that gets installed and that is buggy...
I would really need to ask the author of tkvideo about this, I can't remember asking him last time (almost 2 years ago... )
I hope this bit of information has been helpful to you!

KaKaRoTo
Damien Hoo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 02:38:39 pm »

i've almost thought that it lies in the codecs. it seems that the "matroska mkv splitter" are the problem. maybe tkvideo don't check the used filters like a brute forced "we would see what we get" and i found no way to say tkvideo which codec and splitter he must use.

wherever, i've deinstalled ace (and installed cccp 'cuz a deinstallation only not works) cccp deactivated the matroska and after that all works fine Cheesy

a lot of thx for the help now i can work with with aMsn.

Damien

ps.: thread can be closed Wink
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 10:23:19 pm »

wouhouuu great news! Only confirming the previous problem and that's just great! your screenshot made me laugh, nice one! Smiley
i'll talk to the tkvideo guy about this problem!
Glad it works for you now! Smiley

KaKaRoTo
alexlissom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 10:29:59 am »

Sitting her with almost the same problem you've got. My cam works fine in f. example MSN, but when im checking Preferences for the cam, the computer finds it but i only see black.. The same like you, besides the red error msg. And when i want to watch somebody elses, it automaticly rejects the invitation after a few seconds..  Anybody who has been threw the same ? Thanx !
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 05:00:52 pm »

@alexlissom: welcome to the forums.. good thing you searched the forum before asking your question, however, we posted the solution here, didn't you try it ? if you did, then why aren't you giving us details on what you did and how it worked out!

KaKaRoTo
pcgenius9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 01:47:46 pm »

I thought I would reply to this topic because I am getting the same error on my HP Mini 2140 netbook. When I go to webcam setup I get "video source not initialized" same as before. The only thing is, I don't have any codec packs installed - or should I day, I haven't myself installed any. Whether an application has I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated? I am using the latest drivers and it works fine in other apps.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 05:30:37 am »

Hi, welcome to the forums,
We don't really know what causes this.. I've also experienced a similar issue (not exactly the same though, just a black source, although it could initialize the camera) and I don't know what caused it, I tried to debug it but couldn't find anything...
I was able to fix it by reinstalling my Windows (I had no choice, I lost the hard drive for a completely unrelated reason).. and now it works... I suggest you try to reinstall directX, uninstall any codecs you might find on your system and see if it helps!
I hope that helps!

KaKaRoTo
oskarp@online.no

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 06:46:28 am »

Have the same problem with the internal camera on a HP8730 Workstation.
Sometime it is og, next time not, can not find the software / codex that causes the problem here
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: