aMSN Forums
October 23, 2014, 02:42:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Name Proposal for the new aMSNv2 "ToxProX"  (Read 22157 times)
heavensrevenge

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2008, 05:11:23 am »

Hello forum, this is my first post here and I have joined the forum directly for this reason from a chat in the IRC room, since this topic seems to need lots of ridicule, nit-picking, and discussion.

I was going to make an MSN client as well, but since aMSN v2 has one massive leg up on me, it quite discouraged to ever complete it seeing how the entire point of me starting the project was to make myself a MSN client I enjoyed to use and that wasn't slow.  I went thought learning many programming languages and collecting many msnp8-16 lib's and specs.  The language I picked was Haskell, and there was a name I had my whole school vote on so it's quite good for the new generation of people that would be using it.
Turns out, that the name didn't even need to be descriptive of the product's purpose and that it only had to sound "cool".  So the proposed name that I was going to call my clone was "ToxProX" short-form = tpx.  And that won the poll by a considerable amount from all ages 14-18 (high school).

Therefore, seeing how this aMSN v2 really looks promising and has made my current project basically worthless, and also considering the fact that I've heard enough complaints about "aMSN2" as being a horrible name, I wanted to give my opinion and have you guys have the name which prevailed for my now obsolete client even before my backend MSN protocol in Haskell was complete.

I would indeed be honoured if you guys adopted the name, but I also understand if you don't want to change your identity based on tradition as well.  The proposal is out and you have my full permission to use the name if you so desire, the few blog subdomains I've registerd would also be changed/deleted for this sake.

Thank you and hello forum  Cheesy
-Eric
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 06:36:03 am »

Hi heavensrevenge :
First, welcome to the forums and to the community.
Thanks for your proposition, but as I already explained in the other thread announcing aMSN2, and to you over IRC, the name will stay as it is for multiple reasons.. and the only people who complained about the name anyways were the emesene fanboys :p
Anyways, welcome to our world, and you're welcome to contribute with code if you want to, patches are welcome!

KaKaRoTo
phantom
Power user

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 02:29:47 pm »

Quote from: "kakaroto"
emesene

Blargh now THAT's a terrible name.

Moo. Insert signature here!
H@t Trick
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 11:51:29 pm »

Quote from: "phantom"
emesene

that may be, but I always thought it was quite creative given what it is. Having said that I like the name aMSN!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1!
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 12:00:14 am »

yeah, 'emesene' is a nice pun but really bad when you have to say it out loud.. whenever I talk to friends/colleagues and say "emesene" and I always have to say : "emesene, you know, E-M-E-S-E-N-E" so they understand I'm not talking about the official "MSN"...

KaKaRoTo
Fabioamd87
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 12:27:31 am »

yeah, 'emesene' is a nice pun but really bad when you have to say it out loud.. whenever I talk to friends/colleagues and say "emesene" and I always have to say : "emesene, you know, E-M-E-S-E-N-E" so they understand I'm not talking about the official "MSN"...

yes this is a problem that i have :p
Kreuger
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 02:29:33 am »

yes this is a problem that i have :p
I don't think most of my friends know there's a client other than the official one and various web based ones.
heavensrevenge

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 05:34:54 am »

Indeed emesene, sounds exactly like M-S-N so you actually gotta spell it out.  aMSN is fine but not aMSN2, thats a bit overboard.  But i do still like this to be thought about and discussed and let it seep out to all the developers, unless kakaroto is the benevolant dictator coder? In which case its already been decided.  Ill try to make sure to keep watchin here and be involved a bit, otherwise i may hafe to continue my python studies and help bugfix, as I do track the SVN version of amsn2 right now.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 06:15:47 am »

Hi again,
@heavensrevenge : ok, you seem to not have read the post I told you to read over IRC, here's the link again : http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=30953#30953 (not the whole thread, just that post I'm linked you to).
to make it clear again, aMSN2 is just a *codename*, just like "longhorn" was the codename for vista or whatever... it is for use by developers, or whatever, and it basically, just helps us differenciate whether we are talking about the new or the old aMSN.. it's easier to say "amsn" and "amsn2" than "the tcl amsn" and "the python amsn"...
Also, we call it aMSN2 because we plan on releasing it as aMSN version 2.x, as opposed to our current 0.x versions.
Take it as "apache" vs. "apache2"... it's the same name, same product, just a different major version, and although, an apache2 server will still show its name as "Apache", and people refer to it as "apache" and not "apache2", it's just apache version 2.x branch, it's configuration directory is named "apache2" because the config files structure is different, and it's sometimes refered to as apache2 to differenciate between the 1.x branch...
And yes, I'm the self-proclaimed dictator here, thanks for noticing Smiley

KaKaRoTo
NoWhereMan
Contributor
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 07:38:12 am »

HEY GUYS I'VE GOT THIS WONDERFUL IDEA HOW ABOUT CALLING IT PIDGINHuhHuh

no, wait.

NoWhereMan
-- Windows mom: «Finish your veggies! There are processes in Ubuntu that are starving to death!»
-- NoWhereBlog (ita)
-- http://flatpress.sf.net
Toma

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 05:38:01 am »

Quote from: "H@t Trick"
emesene

that may be, but I always thought it was quite creative given what it is. Having said that I like the name aMSN!

Just to be silly.... how about
"Ayemesene"?
 :roll:  Tongue  :roll:
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 05:43:59 am »

Ayemesene, lol :p
But in french, it's "aemesene" (where the "a" sounds as in "car" not as in "care"), so it's not an international name :p

KaKaRoTo
H@t Trick
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 06:05:01 am »

Quote from: "Toma"
Quote from: "H@t Trick"
emesene

Just to be silly.... how about
"Ayemesene"?
 :roll:  Tongue  :roll:

or a-emesene Tongue:P

There's no place like 127.0.0.1!
binario77

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 07:41:26 pm »

In the original name aMSN, the A stands for Alvaro.

I know that there is no desire to radically change the name to avoid loss of identity but most long-term users will know what it stands for.

I think that if any name change were going to happen then we could do far worse than calling it "Alvaro" which both retains the original ancestry but also give it a more punchy and user friendly name.

If we have managed this far in calling Linux, Linux which is a direct derivation of Linus' name then I think this could work while keeping all parties happy.
billiob
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 08:11:36 pm »

A is for Awesome :p
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: