aMSN Forums
April 10, 2021, 08:19:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcing aMSN2!!!!  (Read 354550 times)
Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2008, 11:12:28 am »

It really seems that the Qt4 front-end has a large fan base. This means that it will be maintained properly, and will maybe become the official supported one ? Qt4 is a very powerful toolkit that allows a lot of eye-candy.
billiob
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2008, 01:12:17 pm »

Quote from: "Cypher"
It really seems that the Qt4 front-end has a large fan base. This means that it will be maintained properly, and will maybe become the official supported one ? Qt4 is a very powerful toolkit that allows a lot of eye-candy.

aMSN has a large fan base, that doesn't mean it can be maintained properly. To be maintained, it just needs developers! That's the same for front-ends.

About eye-candy, EFL is far better...
profoX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2008, 01:18:57 pm »

Quote from: "billiob"
About eye-candy, EFL is far better...

...is your opinion Tongue it's more flashy and it has a really interesting way of theming, I'll give you that.

By the way, currently only a bit of QSS theming is possible with the Qt 4 front-end,
but it'll probably become more advanced than that. But not right away.
Here's a theme I was testing to mimic Windows Live Messenger a bit:

You can test the theme (or style, rather) in SVN if you want.

EFL will probably stay default, as that is what the main aMSN developers are developing,
and using Qt for default will probably just cause a GNOME/KDE (GTK+/Qt) flamewar anyway Wink

PS: Right now, Qt 4 is default on Windows, and Cocoa on Mac. EFL on Linux.

Human Knowledge Belongs to the World - AntiTrust [2001]
NoWhereMan
Contributor
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2008, 02:24:10 pm »

please, people stop with all these my-toolkit-is-the-best debates;

qt is what kde (and probably MS) users will prefer, while gtk+ will be probably what GNOM'ers will choose: both the DEs have a large fan-base.

There is no point discussing this, let's just all wish all the luck to the project, to provide a new cool reliable back-end Smiley

NoWhereMan
-- Windows mom: «Finish your veggies! There are processes in Ubuntu that are starving to death!»
-- NoWhereBlog (ita)
-- http://flatpress.sf.net
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2008, 04:11:50 pm »

hehe... NWM, it wasn't a debate/flame :p
Anyways, just wanted to drop an idea I had for a while, front end 'info'... we'll need that at some point if we want to have a way to let the user choose which front end he uses.. so I'm guessing a class again with :
- name
- description
- author
- module
- dependencies
- priority

The important thing in there is 'priority', this way, we can set different priorities, for example, EFL would have the higher priority, simply because if you have the EFL libs that's probably because you either use e17 or because you want to use the efl front end. If you don't have the dependencies for the EFL, then next priority will be QT or GTK...
if system is windows, QT sets itself a high priority
if system is linux, then QT and GTK will both look at the list of processes and see if they know some apps... for example : you have 20 KDE apps, and 2 gnome apps... you're probably running kde, so QT will set its priority to high and gtk will set its priority to low...
if the gnome apps are more than kde apps, then QT sets its priority to low, and gtk sets its priority to high...
note that if both kde/gnome apps are the same, or if there are none, or whatever... then they'll both have the same priority, let the dependencies decide...
if both qt/gtk deps are not available, then curses front end with the lowest priority would be taken...
of course, for mac, the cocoa front end would have the highest priority.

Just my 2c idea.

KaKaRoTo
NoWhereMan
Contributor
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2008, 04:17:02 pm »

Quote from: "kakaroto"
hehe... NWM, it wasn't a debate/flame :p

better stopping any intention Tongue

if system is linux, then QT and GTK will both look at the list of processes and see if they know some apps...

I think you may be able to check this via some environment variable

NoWhereMan
-- Windows mom: «Finish your veggies! There are processes in Ubuntu that are starving to death!»
-- NoWhereBlog (ita)
-- http://flatpress.sf.net
madd_matt

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2008, 05:44:32 pm »

Something I've been wanting for a while is an open source web client for MSN.  While there are existing solutions online like meebo and the official webmessenger.msn.com,  I'd like something open source that I can deploy myself.

With the seperation of the frontend from aMsn, I'd be interested in developing a web UI.   I'd probably use python, and have it run through apache or lighthttpd.

I won't be able to begin immediately, but towards the second week of August I should have some spare time, and hopefully the aMsn2 code is maturing into something very nice.

I'll have to see how my schedule works out, but I hope this is something that I can achieve and contribute.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2008, 05:47:58 pm »

@madd_matt:
Contact  sirdarckcat, he says he's a php developer and is interested in helping out. I asked him to try to build a 'web' front end... talk to him, maybe you can share ideas and work together on this.

KaKaRoTo
profoX

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2008, 06:00:52 pm »

@madd_matt:
Contact  sirdarckcat, he says he's a php developer and is interested in helping out. I asked him to try to build a 'web' front end... talk to him, maybe you can share ideas and work together on this.

Something like this would be neat. It would probably use JavaScript and Python (or PHP, but Python would probably make more sense since the aMSN 2 core will be written in Python) and use AJAX (or similar technology) for talking to the backend.

PS: Someone I know is developing something called IQuiP. It basically gives you the possibility to recompile any Qt 4 GUI application (also Python/Qt 4!) into a web application and deploy it over the internet! Very interesting stuff. It's not usable yet, but it's a promising technology Smiley http://www.iquip.org/ Currently it doesn't look very well, but it's about the technology behind it at the moment

Human Knowledge Belongs to the World - AntiTrust [2001]
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2008, 06:39:05 pm »

cool, iquip looks like a great idea! but I think a native php app would be better as it will have "browser integration" :p
a qt app with iquip might look too much like a desktop app rather than a 'web interface'... + you don't know when it will be ready or if it will be good enough to support a full blown app like amsn :p
anyways, thanks for the sharng the link, it's really interesting! Cheesy

KaKaRoTo
why.arent.guests.allowed
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2008, 09:07:01 pm »

About 'synchronized' audio+video, I have a working branch on the SVN that does that... it only supports receiving for now, but we can receive audio+video correctly and it works great!
[mr. burns mode]Excellent...[/mr. burns] =)
I'll have to try it.

the only problem will be video, as it uses WMV3 and there is no open source WMV3 encoder available yet... we use ffmpeg for decoding wmv3 frames and I have a patched version of ffmpeg that does the encoding too, but it's able to encode the first frame then crashes encoding the subsequent frames... the 'bug' is in the fact that there's a missing function for implementing the intra-frames... the frames that only show the "movement" of the image...
But since that code is already available for the decoder it should be fairly easy to do it for the encoder, but we need someone with knowledge of ffmpeg's internals... once we find such a person, it could be a matter of minutes for implementing that...
Just curious... are you aquainted with the ffmpeg community or have you ever sent an email asking for some volunteer? Since it's a matter of minutes it could pay off to ask someone for some "spare time"

p.s.: we'll still keep maintaining aMSN 0.x because we don't want to loose our edge, userbase by falling behind because of amsn2 development....
thanks for commenting Smiley
That is good to know =)
And I'm the one who has to thank, so thank you all!

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2008, 03:22:08 am »

lol @ mr. burns :p
no, I'm not really aquainted with the ffmpeg community, I did ask them a few questions and some advices and they helped a lot, but that's about it...
I don't think anyone is willing to do this as it is not interesting for them, they don't care, WMV3 is the worst codec choice ever so it's useless to implement that.. and I'm guessing that implementing a WMV3 encoder means a lot of work... all we need is the small work needed for "msn-compatible wmv3" which is a small subset of the wmv3 specs...

KaKaRoTo
constantijn

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2008, 07:06:06 pm »

I don't want to sound impatient but is there already a OS X preview?...or even a mock-up?
WM-666
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2008, 07:21:03 pm »

I presume the aMSN2 svn doesn't work (yet) under Windows(XP) ?

Win7 x64, currently no Ubuntu (will install 10.04)
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2008, 08:12:48 pm »

@constantijn : nope sorry, maybe the mac maintainer will give you more info, he seems busy lately...
@WM : the QT and GTK front ends work fine for me... but the problem is that pymsn doesn't seem to work correctly on windows, so we'll have to fix that before you can connect... hopefully this will be done soon too.

KaKaRoTo
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: