aMSN Forums
February 19, 2020, 01:09:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: amsn can't find snack SOLVED  (Read 35291 times)
Jean_

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2008, 08:21:16 pm »

Hi,

Well, any suggestions? I'm using ubuntu 7.10, amsn 098b, compiled snack library with -alsa and tried /lib /usr/lib and /usr/share/amsn/utils/ for destiantions but still amsn can't find snack it seems and I'm out of steam. Smiley

Greets.
trv
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 08:56:53 pm »

why did you compile snack and not install libsnack library from the repositories? it's there....

well, in some time you wont be needing it at all... Q)
Jean_

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:16:58 am »

Quote from: "trv"
why did you compile snack and not install libsnack library from the repositories? it's there....

I did but it didn't work either and I read on this forum that .deb is compiled without -alsa

well, in some time you wont be needing it at all... Q)

Microphone working would be great. It still puzzles me why amsn can't find the snack stuff.
setzer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 02:59:43 pm »

Maybe there's something that you missed with the compilation... could you try to instal libsnack with apt?
Jean_

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 08:24:06 pm »

Quote from: "setzer"
Maybe there's something that you missed with the compilation... could you try to instal libsnack with apt?

Thanks , but like I said, i did try the deb, it didn't work either.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 08:55:43 pm »

try with and without alsa support, 50% of users report it works only with --enable-alsa and 50% report it only works with --disable-alsa...
we're working on a new solution to avoid those issues...

KaKaRoTo
Jean_

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 08:37:38 am »

Thanks, just tried the --disable-alsa switch, same result, amsn can't find the lib.

If amsn is just checking if files exist on a certain location, normally a compiler switch wouldn't make much difference me thinks, but it was worth the try.

Quote from: "kakaroto"
try with and without alsa support, 50% of users report it works only with --enable-alsa and 50% report it only works with --disable-alsa...
we're working on a new solution to avoid those issues...
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 07:16:21 pm »

oh, I thought it was 'not working' not that amsn couldn't find it... if it can't find it, then make sure you have the install snack directory in your /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib (especially if using tcl/tk 8.5)
the snack directory must contain a pkgIndex.tcl file and the .so files that should come with it...

KaKaRoTo
Jean_

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 09:26:01 am »

Thanks, now I know what to look for.
Both /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib now contain a snack map with the pkgIndex.tcl file and the .so files.
The map was called snack.2.2.10, tried renaming it to snack.2.2
Amsn still can't find things, says 'looking for snack' then show a cross X, meaning it can't find it.

Should I try compile again with the -enable-alsa switch? I'm getting a bit weary. Smiley

Greets.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 09:16:49 pm »

no, the best thing you can do now is two things :
open the amsn console by pressing ctrl-shit-C from the main window, the console will show up, in it type the two following commands and paste here the result :
Code:
set ::auto_path

and
Code:
package require snack

these two should give us a bit more info on what the problem really is.

KaKaRoTo
Jean_

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 08:39:23 am »

Thanks again.

This is the output:

set ::auto_path
utils utils/linux /home/jean/.amsn/plugins /usr/local/tcltk8.5/lib/tcl8.5 /usr/local/tcltk8.5/lib /usr/local/tcltk8.5/lib/tk8.5 /usr/local/tcltk8.5/lib/tk8.5/ttk

package require snack
can't find package snack

Greets.
trv
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 12:47:29 pm »

You have wrong paths... /usr/lib and /usr/lib/tcltk/ are at least is missing!

libsnack2 from ubuntu repositories gets installed in /usr/lib/tcltk/snack2.2/ by default.

This is the output of a correctly configured ubuntu system with tcl8.5, tk8.5 and libsnack2, all from the repositories:

(amsn) 1 % set ::auto_path
utils utils/linux /home/trv/.amsn/plugins /usr/share/tcltk/tcl8.5 /usr/lib /usr/lib/tcltk /usr/share/tcltk /usr/share/tcltk/tk8.5 /usr/share/tcltk/tk8.5/ttk

(amsn) 2 % package require snack
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 04:55:34 pm »

ahh.. that explains it.. I supposed you compiled tcl/tk 8.5 and gave it --prefix /usr/local/tcltk8.5 which is why the auto_path is like that (the path to search for libraries.. like snack)..
What could fix your issue is simply :
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/snack2.2 /usr/local/tcltk8.5/lib/snack2.2

(assuming /usr/lib/snack2.2 is the path where snack is installed on your system).
Curious though.. am I right? you compiled tcl/tk yourself with --prefix /usr/local/tcltk8.5 ?

KaKaRoTo
Jean_

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 06:58:55 am »

It's working!

The link did the trick.
Quite a surprise as I was gotten so used to seeing 'can't find snack'.
This amsn was in fact compiled through a script I found here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=621441 to have drag and drop support which works btw. I had quite forgotten about it.
Thought it was kinda strange not seeing those maps in that path.

Thanks for your help guys. I got my microphone working now.

Jean.
trv
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 02:47:45 pm »

well, those kind of scripts cause all sorts of problems... 90% of problems here are caused by those **** :/

There is no need for things like that now, everything is already available, including amsn.

If you want svn, then go svn for msn only, not tcl tk snack etc etc etc. You just mess up your system, everything is in non-default locations, and you have problems like these.

drag n drop support is as simple as creating a folder under /home/user/.amsn/utils/tkdnd and placing 3 files you will download there
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: