aMSN Forums
December 04, 2020, 06:59:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem adding yahoo contact  (Read 41319 times)
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 02:02:39 am »

@Ianpb:
What a nice first post, let me tell you something, if you don't like it, don't use it! Nothing will be corrected "asap", we never advertised yahoo compatibility in the features list, so it's your fault for not paying attention, and it's even in the poll on the left for "what you would want to see next" and if you think you "wasted your time" by installing it, then what about me? I just "wasted" 7 years of my life working on something to please the community and to get nothing in return apart from some random guy who is pissed at me for not wasting any more of my time on it ?
Are you really that stupid for thinking that I'm a slave for you and that I should do it right to please you? I have a life, a job, a family, and what I do, I do it for fun, and no, it's not fun getting yelled at by someone who doesn't appreciate what you do! You didn't even pay for aMSN or anything (noone pays for it, and we get absolutely nothing from working on it), so why do you think we even have any obligation towards you?
My answer to you would simply be : if you want the feature so bad, then write the code for you and we'll gladly apply your patch so others can enjoy it too! And if your answer is "I don't know how to code", then my answer is shut the hell up then! Oh and even if you knew perfectly how to code, and you know all of amsn's code perfectly and you knew your way around it, and you knew everything there is to know about the protocol, it would still take you months and months of hard work to implement something like that, so if your answer is "sorry, I don't have time for it", then my answer would be : shut the hell up! Why would your time be more precious than my time!??

Anyways, go look for "something else", but let me warn you, you will never find ANY client anywhere that will support yahoo interoperability, or that will even reach half of amsn's features, so good luck with that! Oh and by the way, if you think we care if you use aMSN or not, let me tell you that we do not care, like I said, we get absolutely nothing in return when you use aMSN (there aren't even any ads inside the program!) so we loose absolutely nothing if you stop using it, so go for it, why would I care! lol, it's just one less whiny user who won't bother me with his newbie questions, which means more free time for me, which means more time spent with my family rather than spending it answering ungrateful assholes!

Have fun with your life!

KaKaRoTo
Ianpb

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 09:41:58 pm »

Kakaroto, you should really control that chip on your shoulder. How the hell can I yell at anyone in print?? I was making suggestions for improvement, and merely indicating my irritation at the omissions. As for not seeing the 'Wish For' poll in the forum poll, why the hell wuld anyone look there until needed? If wasting 7 years of your life working on this pisses you off then why bother? It's normal to take the description on the main pages at face value. With regard to your statement that "we never advertised yahoo compatibility in the features list", your website claimed it to be a substitute for MSN Live Messenger, but due to the interoperability issue, it's clearly not a substitute. I don't think the expectation of making this clear is unreasonable.

Actually, you are wrong in your contention that "you will never find ANY client anywhere that will support yahoo interoperability".  I've since found that even Yahoo Messenger works with MSN. Also, there is yet another one that I've found, Digsby, that not only connects to MSN and Yahoo, but also AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber, and Facebook Jabber, as well as managing all the relevant email accounts. So aMSN falls way behind.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 10:00:40 pm »

you're really a joke! I cannot believe that you're still missing the point with your stupidity! I won't argue with you anymore! You clearly do not understand anything about instant messaging, if you want to use yahoo messenger go ahead, but good luck with interoperability with msn, same with digsby or whatever it is... You should note though that it's a multiprotocol client, it's not a msn only client, if you want something well known, you should look for http://pidgin.im which is the best multiprotocol client out there, but good luck if you want to have webcam support, spaces support, fast file transfers, or whatever other msn specific feature you may want!
anyways, good luck with your life, i'm done wasting my time on you!

KaKaRoTo
phantom
Power user

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 04:17:12 am »

I consider aMSN to be a perfect replacement without Yahoo support. Why? aMSN is an MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger replacement, not a Yahoo replacement. If you want to talk to people on Yahoo, get Yahoo, or an alternative client who's name isn't based off a specific different protocol (aMSN - MSN, get it?).

Personally I think aMSN does a pretty good job at replacing Microsoft's terrible software. Everything I used to do on MSN, I can do on aMSN.

It seems pretty silly to me to get a .NET Messenger client and expect to talk to people who are on Yahoo (not that I know anyone who only uses Yahoo).

The mysterious poll he was talking about is buried deep on the site here: http://www.amsn-project.net/ RIGHT ON THE FRONT PAGE. At the top, to the right. Of course I can't blame you for not seeing it. The front page is so deep and hard to find. It should be on every single page, perhaps as a floating element that follows scrolling. Everyone loves those.

Moo. Insert signature here!
Mark200

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 07:52:34 pm »

Quote from: "phantom"
I consider aMSN to be a perfect replacement without Yahoo support. Why? aMSN is an MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger replacement, not a Yahoo replacement. If you want to talk to people on Yahoo, get Yahoo, or an alternative client who's name isn't based off a specific different protocol (aMSN - MSN, get it?).

But the point is that MSN/Windows Live Messenger does let you talk to Yahoo contacts.... so to say it's a "perfect replacement" implies it has all the functions of MSN (aMSN - MSN, get it?), which it does not.

Don't get me wrong though, I still think aMSN is a good alternative... and the best one if you want to use Linux. But I think Yahoo interoperability is an important feature that it doesn't have yet. I know there's a poll on the home page and it's coming last in the choices, but I still think it's the most important thing that should be worked on. All the other options won't drive people away from amsn. But the lack of Yahoo interoperability will. People will cope without being able to chat while appearing offline and myspace support, but when lack of yahoo interoperability means that some people simply won't be able to talk to some of their contacts on their msn contact list... then that will drive people away.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 09:05:00 pm »

Mark200, welcome to the forums..
well, we never advertise amsn as being a "perfect replcement", it's a "good alternative" just like you said.. We are proud of aMSN because we worked very hard on making it what it is today... However, days only have 24 hours... we all have our lives to live, our family to be with, our job to do, and we also obviously need to relax and watch a movie from time to time... If you beleive it has to be done, well then we'll be glad to add a new developer to our team and have you work on that.. but in the meantime, we don't have enough time, and we don't have any motivation because as far as I know there is no amsn developer who even knows anyone using yahoo messenger.. this means that we would need to spend coutless hours developing a feature that we never needed and that we'll never use.. not very motivational..
which is why we need people like you who do have this need and are willing to spend time on it...
If it was a simple task to do that wouldn't require much work, then we would have done it, but this is a huge task that requires the refactoring of almost all of amsn's codebase.. so it's hard to dive into such a task...
Anyways, I don't think it's the most important thing simply because the poll says otherwise.. it might be the most important thing *for you*, but not everyone is like you, I know noone who uses yahoo messenger and I also know noone who knows someone using yahoo messenger, so it's a rare use case when people need this interoperability... However I know quite a lot of people who think that adding audio/video call support is important because that's something that they will use... You think it's the most important feature, then vote for it in the poll, but you'll just be one vote amongst 107880 votes that have currently been cast.. not everyone has the same priorities...
by the way, that poll is just for curiosity, it does not get used in any way to determine what we'll work on next.. what we work on is really just a matter of what we *can* do... yahoo interop can't be done at the moment because of lack of resources, audio conferencing wasn't going to be done either but I had the chance that 90% of the work needed for that feature was done by me at my job, so i just needed to add that little 10% on my free time.. If I wasn't working in a company where working on open source VoIP software was my job, then audio conferencing would probably not have been done in aMSN. That's just the way it works.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

KaKaRoTo
bubbles28

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 03:49:29 pm »

Just wanted to add my tuppence worth.... Mark200, you said that the lack of Yahoo interoperability is going to drive people away, but if that were the case surely that would be reflected in the poll which is showing the Yahoo addition as being considered least important? I've been using aMSN on my mac for 3 or 4 years now and it's nowhere near as buggy as windows live messenger, and aMSN has more features than the mac version of MSN.

The people that work on this do so of their own free will and kindness and people complaining and bitching at them isn't going to make them want to add features, if anything it's more likely to make them drop the project which i'm certain a lot of people would object to! I'm sure they appreciate constructive criticism and suggestions, and this is shown in them releasing patches and updates to common issues, but it's just poor manners to be moaning at the volunteers who work on this.

For what it's worth, to those of you who keep this going- it really is appreciated!
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 07:44:59 pm »

@bubbles28: Welcome to the forums!
Awesome first post, thanks for understanding us and defending us and for the nice comment! I'll keep working on amsn.. just for you! Smiley

KaKaRoTo
thounthoun

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 12:47:01 pm »

Hello everyone !
I've been reading this post and I am really curious about something. It's true I cant chat with my yahoo contacts...except one!
I've got a yahoo contact that I can communicate but it's a yahoo.gr account.I was wondering why this happens, do they use a different protocol in yahoo.gr ?
yuip

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 03:16:37 pm »

Probably he created a passport account with his yahoo email. I'm using my gmail account with amsn.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: