aMSN Forums
December 04, 2020, 07:02:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem adding yahoo contact  (Read 41321 times)
ducktoy

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2007, 03:05:01 pm »

Hi!

I'm wroting you because I've a trouble tonight trying to add an yahoo address as a contact with my gmail account I'm using with aMsn.

Wheu I try to add the address such as "someone@yahoo.es" or "someone@yahoo.com" aMsn says me that the user was not valid. I said to the propietary of the yahoo account if she can add me and she tried but never the notification window to accept contact was appeared.

I've tried to logon/logoff and I've received the messages that the contact send me such as Offline messages but never the notification to accept contact.

This morning I've tried to logon with Windows Live Messenger v8.1 and I've seen that the notification windows now appears and I've included the contact in my list. Whe I've tried to logon again with aMsn, the contact does not appear in the group that I've moved such as I never added him.

I'm confused about what are the problem. I've tried to delete the profile and create a new again but the same problem. I'm using the latest version of the SVN

I hope that someone can help to solve this problem Smiley

Regards!
banana
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 04:57:44 pm »

adding and chatting to yahoo contacts will work with wlm because wlm uses the latest msn protocol
amsn still uses an older protocol so it will not work
water_sun_sea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 05:56:29 pm »

Hi i too are having the same problems,amsn will not except my yahoo buddies  Sad

banana could you please explain to a newby how to do this ,thanks

ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10
H@t Trick
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 06:04:27 pm »

What banana said is exactly what is happening. The contact you are adding does not have an MSN account (aka Passport), they have a Yahoo Messenger account. Only Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger support inter-protocol contacts and chatting. aMSN does not support this feature yet (we do not know when this will be added). So you can not add an @yahoo.xx contact unless that "someone@yahoo.com has an MSN account and uses MSN not Yahoo Messenger.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1!
water_sun_sea

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 06:09:41 pm »

Hey thanks for letting me know,shame that
as all my buddies are yahoo,looks like i will have to change my im program
hope AMSN  can make this happen  soon  Sad

ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10
H@t Trick
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 06:21:09 pm »

No problem! Next time please search the forums though as this has been answered.
It's too bad you will have to switch IM programs. I THINK (I do not know for sure) support will be coming sooner rather than later for this however as I am not a dev I have absolutely no idea what is really being worked on and even if it is I doubt they have even a ballpark eta on this, so as they keep telling us be patient! (when aMSN is as good as it is, it's easy to be patient!)

water_sun_sea

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 06:28:59 pm »

sorry will search next time
i will pop in from time to time to see if they have added this feature
yes it is a real shame as i really like the look and feel of aMSN,all the rest are so basic   Sad

never mind,thanks again

ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 09:16:52 pm »

thx H@T_Trick (again).. I should probably hire you as my secretary, lol
about yahoo contacts, yes, it is being worked on, and no, we have no ETA on it, but it should be expected to work soon.. if we keep having the same free time and activity as lately, it could be done during the month...or maybe later if our lives get busy again...

KaKaRoTo
H@t Trick
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 10:45:33 pm »

any time! lol maybe

So that explains it! I was wondering why there was a sudden jump in activity with new development/bug fixes in the SVN lately,

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 04:34:11 am »

I split the thread, the posts are now in here : http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4666

KaKaRoTo
rena

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 09:34:58 pm »

Hello all

My problem is related, but not totally. One day I tried to add an yahoo contact (it was a xxx@yahoo.com.au kind of contact) and it added just fine, this in aMSN 0.96.
I chatted with the person, no problem. Now I can't add any yahoo.com contacts, in neither version, 0.96 or 0.97.
Maybe someone could explain this to me? I'm also aware what MSNP15 is.
H@t Trick
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 12:47:03 am »

Hi rena,

Were talking about contacts using Yahoo Messenger that can't be added. Someone with an xx@yahoo.xx email address can have a Passport account and log in to MSN/WLM and then you can add them to your contact list in aMSN. If you added this contact in WLM though it would probably add them twice as it would see them on the Yahoo network and the MSN network. I have an an email address with my ISP, they are partnered with Yahoo, so my email address is a yahoo ID, I use it for msn. I was at my brother's place two nights ago fixing his roomate's laptop, so he didnt have me on msn, so I went to add myself on his acct and WLM found me twice, once on Yahoo and once on MSN. aMSN will only find the xx@yahoo.xx account if it is a Passport account.

So that is probably what happened and would still happen with the latest version of aMSN. I hope that makes sense and helps.

rastiazul

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 06:23:59 pm »

is this issue solved yet or still not possible to add a *@yahoo.com contact?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 08:36:49 pm »

nothing and no immediate plans to implement it.

KaKaRoTo
Ianpb

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 10:35:35 pm »

This is really annoying. aMSN is being touted as a substitute for the appallingly unreliable and bloated MSN Live Messenger, yet there is NO indication mentioned on the home page of the website that it does not support contact with Yahoo users. That is an appalling oversight by the website administrators, that needs to be rectified ASAP. Due to this I've now wasted my time just installing it. It is at present NOT a substitute for Live Messenger.

Unfortunately I have now to look for something else, because judging by the responses here, there's no urgency to correct the inadequecy. A pity because until I discovered this problem, I was quite content with it. aMSN will be going nowhere until Yahoo contactability is added.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: