aMSN Forums
August 15, 2020, 08:46:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snack failed to load reverting to default  (Read 11995 times)
jokker
Power user

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2007, 09:47:24 pm »

I have snack installed, when I try to choose snack as sound server in amsn properties I have this message: Snack failed to load reverting to default. Is it a symlink issue ? Anobody knows how to fix that ?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 04:11:46 am »

if you use a debian based distribution (debian, ubuntu, etc..), you could try :
sudo apt-get install libsnack2
Just to make sure it's installed.. press in amsn 'ctrl-shift-C'  to get a console and type in it : 'package require snack' see if it loads correctly. If not, then see what's the error, if you type 'set ::auto_path' it will list you the directories in which it tries to find the tcl extension, make sure your snack directory is in one of those.. if you see snack is /usr/lib/snack2/ but only /usr/local/lib appears in auto_path, then move the directory or create a symlink.

KaKaRoTo
yeah
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 11:23:03 am »

I'll recycle this thread to ask for my problem.

I have latest SVN, libsnack and aMSN set up to use snack (and it doesn't popup any error). Snack test plays sounds, but aMSN does not. I see two possibilities: 1. there's some hidden volume setting I didn't find 2. I have no idea what it can be.

Kakaroto's tests posted above showed that snack has been loaded correctly. Running a test in snack directory (widget.tcl, as described in snack README) works fine, I can hear the sound being played.

?

[edit]

I'm on Gentoo using KDE and no aRTS. Vlc, Amarok and others work.

[edit2]

I did some tests. To sum it up, it looks like aMSN (or snack) is able to only play a subset of wav files (and this can be due to a non-perfect configuration on my box). Through the widget tcl application contained in snack package, I isolated some files which then I suppose snack was able to play, and replaced the default aMSN sounds with these.

What I found is that when an event happens, aMSN partially plays the relative sound file. About half of the sound is played and then no more, and no other sound is played upon any event. I checked this with new emails.

Before I switch to aplay I'd like to understand a bit more what's going on here, so if anyone has suggestions about tests, fixes, logging or anything it will be appreciated Smiley
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 07:13:57 pm »

Hi,
1 - right click on the tray icon, there should be a 'enable event sounds' chekcbox
2 - if you say some files play some don't, or onl partially, it could be snack that's badly installed or codecs or whatever. sorry, I have no real answer for you

KaKaRoTo
yeah
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 08:51:56 pm »

1 - right click on the tray icon, there should be a 'enable event sounds' chekcbox

That's already checked Wink

2 - if you say some files play some don't, or onl partially, it could be snack that's badly installed or codecs or whatever. sorry, I have no real answer for you

I don't think so because emerge here handles everything Smiley but high improbability doesn't imply impossibility Smiley Is there any way to get some debug informations? Maybe adding some lines to the relevant tcl files to be informed about snack invocations, return values, sound opening, sound play, anything?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 09:15:43 pm »

2, not much I think.. but it is known that for some people snack doesn't work good with alsa support enabled, so recompile it without alsa support (for some other people it works best with alsa, so compile it with alsa if it wasn't there)

KaKaRoTo
yeah
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 09:29:59 pm »

Disabling alsa didn't work, probably because I don't have aRts. A reboot anyway made some sounds work, so I'll keep testing Smiley

Thank you
jokker
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 07:32:58 pm »

By the way it was fixed the next day by symlink snack  Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: