aMSN Forums
April 23, 2018, 02:41:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems typing foreign languages?(was Arabic Fonts Problem)  (Read 165054 times)
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2009, 01:59:28 am »

Hi,

I ended up removing scim and using uim instead. Works like a charm.

I could not solve the freezing keyboard issue with scim, and this was the main reason why I removed it and went for uim. It's way less buggy anyway, and you don't need the XMODIFIERS trick!
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2009, 02:08:53 am »

humm.. ok thanks vivia!
So, we can basically summarize this whole thread with "use UIM instead of SCIM" ? wow.. what a waste of text ! :p

KaKaRoTo
berdux

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2009, 09:12:18 am »

hello!

so i uninstalled SCIM and installed UIM. the problem with the freezing keyboard has gone. i can write japanese now on most windows, except amsn and skype (maybe others as well, haven't tested it yet). i should search this more before posting but i really do not have the time now (again :S). just reporting my status Tongue
i will find some time tomorrow and find the solution to this, i think i saw it someplace when i was searching for my first problem Smiley

ありがとうございます。

(ps. by the way, i just noticed, vivia are you greek?)
afv

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2009, 04:04:36 pm »

I just uninstalled SCIM and installed UIM and seems to me (maybe I didn't test enough) that the problem with the accented letters (áéíóú…) appearing with a delay is gone! Thanks!! Cheesy

(It also seems to be quicker when pasting some text (sometimes the text pasted took some seconds to appear, before this) Smiley)
fhoffmann

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2009, 08:57:53 am »

I was having the exact problem as berdux-- losing keyboard functionality when keeping an IM window open and the other person would enter or leave conversation. While replacing SCIM with UIM does indeed avoid this problem now I am unable to type Japanese on aMSN, also like berdux... When I'm in an aMSN window the keyboard shortcuts I have assigned to switch between languages seem to be ignored by UIM.. If I manually select the input type via the UIM toolbar I still get my default input, which is english. Am I overlooking a simple setting?
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2009, 06:50:54 pm »

berdux: ότι θα βοηθούσα Έλληνα να γράφει Ιαπωνικά στο aMSN, δε θα το φανταζόμουν!! Smiley

@berdux, fhoffmann: Which distribution are you using? Can you try typing Japanese in xterm? If not, maybe the problem is that the uim-xim bridge is not installed. Unfortunately I cannot remember by heart how to install it and I cannot find the nice howto that I had. You could at least try running uim-xim manually before starting aMSN.
fhoffmann

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2009, 10:02:17 pm »

vivia -
I am using Ubuntu, Jaunty... I discovered I had a few references to SCIM left over:
im-switch -c then choose one of the UIM options
now UIM recognizes my keyboard shortcuts and Japanese and Korean text input work with aMSN. The only problem I have is-- as I type, instead of showing the hiragana or katakana I see boxes then when I press enter it shows the correct font... I suspect it is just that... an issue with a font. I will post back here when I figure what I'm missing incase anyone else has this problem. It would be great if we could figure out all these little hangs people are having when using multi-lingual setups with aMSN and throw it to the wiki... It was a bit annoying to read through 4 pages of posts then see that the workaround is to use some other software...  :lol:
Stian1979

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2009, 09:03:26 am »

I tryed scim and refuse to work on amsn and openoffice.
uim don't seam to have mps traditional chinese.
I'm back to fighting with scim
setzer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2009, 10:09:43 pm »

Stian1979 - Well, I suppose that u followed the entire topic and is still having problems. I's been some time since I last read this topic so I don't remember everything that it says. However, I suggest you to try using iBus as your default IM. I recently swtched to iBus and didn't find any problems with amsn. In fact, I didn't configure anything to make it work, except for exporting XMODIFIERS, GTK_IM_MODULE, QT_IM_MODULE and TK_IM_MODULE. You should give it a shot...
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2010, 06:20:25 pm »

Problem with accented characters getting misplace is fixed: http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/index.php/topic,7610.0.html
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2010, 05:50:48 pm »

I just found two workarounds to the problem with scim input freezing: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/scim/+bug/66104
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: