aMSN Forums
April 20, 2018, 09:19:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems typing foreign languages?(was Arabic Fonts Problem)  (Read 164951 times)
Gonzalo

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2008, 02:26:29 pm »

Hi.
I am running aMSN 0.97 in Poseidon Linux / Ubuntu 8.04 (re-installed today since it said there was something new). But a problem I got even before is that accents are not working. I get 'a instead of á in Spanish or Portuguese!
Automatic, UTF-8.... not working for me (and now in Kopete I have the same problem, no accents, no special characters).

Gonzo.
AMD Athlon - Poseidon_Linux + W-XP
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2008, 07:27:01 pm »

did you read this thread completely and followed all the instructions Huh Huh??

KaKaRoTo
mercutio22

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2008, 03:44:01 am »

I can't type as well. Ubuntu 8.10 amd64.

Its worth pointing out I can type with accents and all until  I  get the message  other party joins the conversation. Changing focus to another windows and back into amsn fixes the problem for a short while until another amsn window shows someone joining a conversation. Its weird. It used to work a few days ago before I changed the skin and activated some plugins. Maybe its related.

========================
WHATS CRAPPENING?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2008, 04:37:51 am »

hi mercutio, which plugins did you enable ? that could help...
could you disable all the plugins and see if it fixes the issue? if it does, then could you enable them one by one until you find the plugin that caused this behavior? thanks.

KaKaRoTo
mercutio22

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2008, 12:15:08 pm »

Quote from: "kakaroto"
could you disable all the plugins and see if it fixes the issue? if it does, then could you enable them one by one until you find the plugin that caused this behavior? thanks.

I am afraid that even turning off every plugin didn't resolve the issue. Changing the skin as well. I am using SCIM and starting amsn with
Code:
XMODIFIERS='' amsn &

Solved the problem for me.

I am still baffled though. I am pretty very sure it used to work before I messed around with the skins. (I can faintly remember it was a skin change - not a plugin change - that triggered the behavior, but I might be wrong).

========================
WHATS CRAPPENING?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2008, 03:59:00 am »

maybe just a coincidence... maybe you updated some packages on your system and scim was one of them and you didn't notice the problem and you changed the skin at the same time...

KaKaRoTo
mercutio22

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2008, 06:44:05 am »

maybe just a coincidence... maybe you updated some packages on your system and scim was one of them and you didn't notice the problem and you changed the skin at the same time...

I have access to another laptop with SCIM (supposedly) in which amsn  does work. Maybe we can investigate differences between them two.

========================
WHATS CRAPPENING?
afrox

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2009, 01:36:40 pm »

Quote from: "mercutio22"

I am afraid that even turning off every plugin didn't resolve the issue. Changing the skin as well. I am using SCIM and starting amsn with
Code:
XMODIFIERS='' amsn &

Solved the problem for me.

I am still baffled though. I am pretty very sure it used to work before I messed around with the skins. (I can faintly remember it was a skin change - not a plugin change - that triggered the behavior, but I might be wrong).

So do you guys know any solution to use Spanish characters by clicking on the menu instead of using  
Code:
XMODIFIERS='' amsn &
on the console?

is there a way to modify the icon or something?

If I uninstall scim, i wont be able to use the áéíóú characters in any program.

thanks

Thanx for keepin amsn moving!!
mercutio22

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2009, 05:28:04 pm »

I ceased to experience this issue in Jaunty Jackalope so I can launch the program straight from the icon.

If you still experience this, you can create a bash script with that line and make the icon point to it, just like creating a shortcut in window$, so you don't have to type it every time you launch amsn.

Good luck

========================
WHATS CRAPPENING?
afrox

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2009, 11:31:24 pm »

Quote from: "mercutio22"
I ceased to experience this issue in Jaunty Jackalope so I can launch the program straight from the icon.

If you still experience this, you can create a bash script with that line and make the icon point to it, just like creating a shortcut in window$, so you don't have to type it every time you launch amsn.

Good luck

I tried,  to modify the link, but it wont work:
Detalles: Ha ocurrido un error al ejecutar el proceso hijo «XMODIFIERS=» (No existe el fichero ó directorio)=
Deatils: Some error happened when executing the "child" process "XMODIFIERS=" (no such file or directory).

When I configured my scim file to es_ES, it did work as it should (this is àèèèóü), but the keyboard would only work at times. I followed this: but it won't work

Is there a way to uninstall scim or something whithout spoiling the whole keyboard configuration??

It is a little annoying problem actually

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2009, 01:41:53 am »

Hi,
I think there's other input methods, scim, xim, cim or whatever, try maybe a different input method than scim...
and the "XMODIFIER=" (no such file or directory) issue is normal, I suggest you create a small script : /usr/local/bin/start_amsn
Code:
#!/bin/bash
XMODIFIERS="" amsn

then make the menu icon launch start_amsn instead of amsn... it should work this way...

KaKaRoTo
mercutio22

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2009, 02:20:26 am »

Did you try to execute a   BASH script with that line in it?

========================
WHATS CRAPPENING?
afrox

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2009, 01:22:38 pm »

Hi,
I think there's other input methods, scim, xim, cim or whatever, try maybe a different input method than scim...
and the "XMODIFIER=" (no such file or directory) issue is normal, I suggest you create a small script : /usr/local/bin/start_amsn
Code:
#!/bin/bash
XMODIFIERS="" amsn

then make the menu icon launch start_amsn instead of amsn... it should work this way...

Hey boys, it did the work for me, thanks for your support Kakaroto!

berdux

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2009, 12:05:28 am »

hello,

i have the problem with the freezing keyboard when someone comes online (i explain it exactly here: http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39151#39151)

it seems to work fine if i type in terminal this
Code:
XMODIFIERS='' amsn &

though i can type greek normally (with accents αάεέοό) i cannot type japanese (on amsn windows), i understand this happens because i start amsn without the use of scim or sth.

i will read again carefully next weekend the thread to see what i am missing (what to change in files etc). for the time i have a little problem, the script thing did not work, it says: cannot run start_amsn, access denied. (sorry for the trouble, i am a noob with linux Smiley )
how can i solve this? (for i have to type in terminal the above code and keep the terminal window open..)

thanks in advance
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2009, 01:56:27 am »

Hi again, glad it (partially) works... I don't know about japanese, vivia might help you (she always writes japanese with amsn and it works fine)... about the script, it has to be executable for you to execute it... just do this in a terminal :
Code:
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/start_amsn

You can also probably do it through your desktop, by right clicking, properties, permissions, and enabling the execute checkbox...

KaKaRoTo
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: