aMSN Forums
February 22, 2018, 12:10:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: aMSN on maemo - Nokia N810, N800 and N770HE  (Read 138943 times)
nurse_gal

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2008, 12:13:55 am »

Kakaroto, thank you for making a new file.  i have similar problem as mags, i installed the old files when i got my n810 last week. my question is :do i remove the old files before installing this new one.  i am a complete newbie, and  know nothing about linux but can follow directions if they are given step by step. thank you for putting up with the newbie questions.
Mags

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2008, 05:24:42 pm »

Hi there - I removed the old ones and then installed the new ones. I did have to put it in redpill mode to do it.

It was slow to start up the first time, but after that is wasn't too bad at all - camera works and everything!

There are a few little errors that pop up here or there, but nothing debilitating Smiley

Kakaroto  - thank you so VERY VERY much for taking the time to do this update - especially when you are busy and traveling.  We really do appreciate your efforts!  Cheesy

I hope to have the time to learn some Linux stuff in the next while, so I am not such a n00b with my new Nokia N810 Smiley

Thanks again!!!
Mags

Mag
hamunguia

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2008, 03:56:06 pm »

Hello There

Once again, it seems that amsn cannot be installed with latest maemo update (4.2008.30-2) launched three days ago.

Can anybody update files and instructions in order to install it?

Msn messenger is the most popular IM here in Mexico, and amsn is a great alternative for linux.

Thanks

hamunguia
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2008, 03:16:26 pm »

go to maemo.org, install the scratchbox as instructed on memo.org, extract amsn and compile it...
anyways.. it should work just fine.. make sure you are in red pill mode before installing it.

KaKaRoTo
soultaker_1974

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 02:21:49 pm »

nice software AMSN I have issues with the microphone the sound that records is all wrong my system is chinook 2008 version: 2.2007.51-3, i and install it on a N800 with out any camera problem, the sounds is ok.
and install only this: cl8.4 -> tk8.4 -> tcltls -> libsnack2 -> cabextract -> -> amsn

Can you please help me with this issue i like to have a camera video conference.
Thanks.

Shocked
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2009, 01:09:40 am »

New aMSN package uploaded. It has several Maemo-specific fixes:

1) The audio/video assistant can always configure the camera
2) Next buttons on the audio/video assistant are visible without having to select a low-resolution camera
3) Ctrl+click adds as a right click, like on Mac
4) Webcam windows are now integrated to the chatwindows

Enjoy Smiley
Mgamerz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2009, 12:44:11 am »

I have been trying for days but everytime I install a dependency it doesn't work. I have diablo, and the tcl packs are for bora... which is 2007? I really want to be able to video chat with someone (even if it's not that great quality), and stuff.
Where is this 'update' you posted vivia...?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2009, 04:57:24 pm »

Hi Mgamerz, welcome to the forums..
look at this URL : http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/~kakaroto/n810/
it contains packages for diablo and chinook.

KaKaRoTo
thecursedfly

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2009, 03:45:42 pm »

The N900 version is simply awesome looking at the screenshots, thanks! Looking forward to own that device. Smiley
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 06:14:30 pm »

Hey, welcome to the forums! Smiley
aMSN on the N900 works quite well, I'm using it on it everyday, but I think it's necessary to tell this small disclaimer to people :
aMSN on the N900 is a bit slow, mainly when some actions happen, opening the application takes a long time, but once it's loaded, it's ok.. trying to sign in also takes quite a huge amount of time, but once it's connected, it's pretty good, opening windows and chatting is fast, etc.. so that's good.. however, aMSN uses a lot of memory, so most of the time it will be in the swap, which means that if you're using the N900 for something and haven't focused on aMSN for a while, then when you open the window, it will be quite slow and unresponsive (until the N900 moves the memory from the swap back into the RAM).
Also note that it's not 'hildonized', which means the UI is not really made to work on a mobile device, so the menus are not the normal maemo menus, and if you want to type a upper case letter or numbers or symbols, you need to press shift (or Fn) at the same time as the key you want, you can't just press shift, then the letter.. and you can't have caps-lock or fn-lock (by double pressing shift or Fn) either.
Sometimes you'll need to use the stylus for some things, like for example accessing the menus, or use the scrollbar.
I would recommend that you select the Dark Matter skin as your default, and enable the "show detailed contact view" option in the view menu as soon as you start.
Apart from that, it's pretty usable! Smiley
By the way, I now have access to the maemo extras repository and i will soon try to upload amsn there so people can install it directly from the application manager.

KaKaRoTo
gadgety

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2009, 01:14:33 am »

Hello!

I'm new to the forum. What brought me here is the N900, in particular it's ability to do video calling/video chatting. It's got a front webcam, BUT Nokia is shipping the retail version without any software for the camera. Someone on maemo.org pointed me in your direction. Reading how you are using aMSN on a daily basis on the N900 is fabulous! I saw somewhere else that the N810 could either do video or sound, not both and. What about the N900, is video and sound working simultanously with aMSN? Or if there's no sound, is the cam and chatting possible?

Thank you!

Quote from: "kakaroto"
Hey, welcome to the forums! Smiley
aMSN on the N900 works quite well, I'm using it on it everyday, but I think it's necessary to tell this small disclaimer to people :
aMSN on the N900 is a bit slow, mainly when some actions happen, opening the application takes a long time, but once it's loaded, it's ok.. trying to sign in also takes quite a huge amount of time, but once it's connected, it's pretty good, opening windows and chatting is fast, etc.. so that's good.. however, aMSN uses a lot of memory, so most of the time it will be in the swap, which means that if you're using the N900 for something and haven't focused on aMSN for a while, then when you open the window, it will be quite slow and unresponsive (until the N900 moves the memory from the swap back into the RAM).
Also note that it's not 'hildonized', which means the UI is not really made to work on a mobile device, so the menus are not the normal maemo menus, and if you want to type a upper case letter or numbers or symbols, you need to press shift (or Fn) at the same time as the key you want, you can't just press shift, then the letter.. and you can't have caps-lock or fn-lock (by double pressing shift or Fn) either.
Sometimes you'll need to use the stylus for some things, like for example accessing the menus, or use the scrollbar.
I would recommend that you select the Dark Matter skin as your default, and enable the "show detailed contact view" option in the view menu as soon as you start.
Apart from that, it's pretty usable! Smiley
By the way, I now have access to the maemo extras repository and i will soon try to upload amsn there so people can install it directly from the application manager.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2009, 01:45:01 am »

Hi, welcome to the forums.
You don't need special software to access the front webcam, it's a normal v4l2 camera using /dev/video1 while the back webcam is using /dev/video0. The screenshot I took for the website was using a post-production firmware (I'm a subcontractor for Nokia so I have access to it). The sales release firmware has bad tuning for the front webcam, but expect it to be much better in the next firmware update.
About the N810 doing either video or sound, that's wrong, if you have a N810, didn't you ever do a video call with a jabber account? video and voice works just fine together.
About the N900 and video/audio calling, in my tests it wasn't working, only the old 'webcam' feature was working. The problem is not with the N900, but as far as I know, it's a problem with amsn's code.. I might have a look at it someday.

KaKaRoTo
gadgety

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2009, 11:42:02 pm »

Thank you for your response, KaKaRoTo!

I've never used a Nokia Nxxx device, and the only device I know is driven by Linux in my household is Logitech's Squeezebox Duet controller. The reason I became interested in Linux at all is the N900 believing it would provide internet based video and voice capabilities. However, I later discovered that on Nokia's own site it says the N770, N800 and N810 all support internet supported video calling, but not the N900.

When you say aMSN only supports the 'old webcam feature' on the N900, am I correct in understanding this as the webcam is displayed and sends images in a text based internet chat? This would still be a great step compared to any other phone based device (WinMo, iPhone, Symbian, Android) I know of.

The killer app for the N900 would be internet based video & voice calling, not only to me but also according to other voices on maemo.org. Hope 'someday' comes soon as I'm sure the N900 will be much more widely adopted than the N8xx series ever was.

Thanks again!
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2009, 09:21:11 am »

Hi again gadgety!
I answered you in here directly : http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=385870&posted=1#post385870
Considering many people seem interested in my answer. I also clarified what you said because you created confusion. I wasn't very clear to begin with because I thought you were an aMSN 0.98.1 user and you knew what was the difference between the webcam feature and video call feature.

KaKaRoTo
gadgety

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2009, 09:55:23 am »

Thank you kakaroto. The conversation continued over at maemo.org. User MNX1024 has tried out aMSN and couldn't get the cam to work: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=386791#post386791. If/when it does this is the killer app for the N900.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: