aMSN Forums
December 17, 2018, 03:18:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: aMSN on maemo - Nokia N810, N800 and N770HE  (Read 147364 times)
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 12:35:17 pm »

Update : I fixed the problem with the 'incompatible package'. It was as you suggested from the start, the Section of the debian control file should be user/xxx. Once I changed that, application manager was able to accept the deb files I created.
I updated all the packages in the usual URL, so you can install them all without going into red pill mode.. I also added the following packages :
cabextract, gnash-common, gnash, libswfdec, swfdec-gnome.
Install cabextract, libswfdec and swfdec-gnome if you want to be able to receive winks. You will need to go to menu account->select plugins->winks->configure and set the 'swf player command' to 'swfdec-player' and empty the arguments field. You can also try to install gnash but it runs SO SLOW on the n810 that it's not worth it at all. I wrote all that in the README.txt file with some more info.

p.s: Note that you can hide/unhide the menus with the binding Ctrl-M. That could be useful if you don't want to see tk's menubar in your window.

KaKaRoTo
Metal Spirit

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 09:35:59 am »

Morning everybody.

I need help with my N800.

I installed aMSN as Kakaroto explained. When I opened my Webcam for configuration on aMSN, the default program associated with it (OS 2008 default one) poped up. Image was ok, and I closed it. I the was able to see that the image on amsn was quite differente: It was all purple! Nevertheless I continued to install the audio and video devices (camera contrast, color, brightness, etc controls on aMSN were not working).

In the end, camera usage was terrible. Image was all purple! The big problem is that this apparently affected my Nokia, since all other camera software started to show the same purple tinted feed.

I uninstalled aMSN and all librarys. The problem persisted!

Re-flashed OS 2008, and the problem is still there.

Is there a solution for this? Can anybody help me, or point me to a thread that can help me?

NOTE: I don´t get jack shit about Linux, and I have my tablet for 3 days.
miind

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 08:08:12 am »

I installed aMSN on my N800 and it seems to work just fine. The picture quality of the webcam is bad and sometimes colors get distorted but thats due to the bad quality of the hardware I guess.
Drenaton

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 02:47:57 pm »

I have installed aMSN on my N800 OS2008.  All seems fine.  The camera need a bright light source to work.  Other than that, every thing is fine.

Well..... I did notice, that the only way to get into your MSN mail (or any other web link) is to already have the browser open.  aMSN will not launch the browser, it will only launch the link in an existing open browser session.

That's it.  Works great.  I did not install the libswfdec or swfdec-gnome, as I don't really care about the winks.  Nudges work and smiley's work.  So I'm good.  

Thanks Kakaroto for making it work.  

I would have tried to make it work myself in the summer time as this is my really busy time.  So you just saved me some time.   Cheesy
miind

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 04:03:22 pm »

After a few tryout I agree completly, it works just fine. One thing that could be better is the overall speed. Its dead slow to startup and login.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 06:14:16 pm »

Hi,
wow, 3 new forum users who especially came for this Smiley welcome to the forums to all of you.
@Metal Spirit : I'm really sorry about those problems you have, but I don't see how aMSN could screw up your webcam, and especially if you flash it, then everything should be back to normal. If it still doesn't fix itself after flashing, maybe there's a hardware problem or something.. try calling the nokia support center for help about this. Also note that others have reported that it causes no issues for them, so it seems to confirm what I said..
@Drenaton : Thanks for the appreciation, it's my pleasure Smiley
@miind: Glad it works fine for you too Smiley About the speed, I can't do much about it, we use tcl/tk which is an interpreted language which is a bit slow, and we draw everything on a canvas for the 0.97 version which should make it a lot faster than any previous release of aMSN, but could also make it slow on devices like this one.. I also noticed that it becomes very slow after a long time being online, and could make your whole system unusable, I'm guessing it's a memory leak and I'll try to fix that. The startup time is something we can't do anything about though.

KaKaRoTo
Metal Spirit

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 12:14:59 pm »

My questions are, and I´m sorry if this is stupid, but i´m using as guide the world that i Know, PC and Windows:

I´ve been checking my N800 and found a file called omap24xxcam. This seems like a driver for the cam, and I wonder if it may be damaged.

OS2008 seems to be just an OS, and PC's have both an OS and a BIOS. So i also wonder if there isn´t a sort of bios on the device that may be damaged.

So, what I want to know is: Does the OS really acts as both an OS and BIOS? And does reflashing replaces the omap24xxcam? Is this file standard on the N800?

I remember that I alreade reflashed OS2008 again with no luck, but i´m not shure reflashing with the same version really cleans ALL data and replaces ALL drivers. Does it? Installing windows over an existing installation is not a perfect solution, so can´t this be happening on the N800 too?

Sorry again if these questions are stupid, but i´m quite new to this!

PS: I´m taking my device to Nokia to see if they can provide me with a solution, but phone contacts seems to show that they understand a lot about phones  and have almost no answers for internet tablets.
Metal Spirit

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 02:37:04 pm »

tcl8.4 -> tk8.4 -> tcltls -> libsnack2 -> cabextract  -> ams

Those are the libraries I installed. Any of them messes with the cam driver or settings in any way? Yes or No?

My nokia crashed after i choose the omap24xxcam driver, and I believe that was the cause of all this...
H@t Trick
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 02:21:01 am »

@Metal Spirit: You might have to wait for a while for an answer fro kakaroto as he wont be online much the next few weeks, but I know from this thread that 2 other devs have or are waiting to receive N810s. What I can tell you though is that most likely the Nokia Internet tablets, like many integrated devices (i.e. PDAs, smartphones, cell phones, only have the OS which is the firmware, there is no BIOS. The reason for this is because this normally allows the system to run faster and it is a closed system, the manufacturer is in complete control of the hardware and software, unlike in the PC where it's an open system and OSes have to be written for many different combinations of hardware and software, hardware manufacturers have to make sure their devices work with standards and such (PCIe, USB, FireWire, SATA, etc.). These are just some of the reasons, even in the PC world, the BIOS is slowly being phased out. I have a Nokia N95, it runs the Symbian OS v 9.x (not sure what the # after the decimal is) with the Nokia Series60 Feature Pack 3 UI, think of this as a Linux distribution and a custom X server, custom Window Manager, and custom desktop environment. While Symbian and Series60 run on a variety of devices the device manufacturer is essentially doing a custom implementation of the OS and the UI, but in the case of Symbian you compile the application for the UI and it is hardware agnostic (or so I gather based on my research, as I am sure there are different processor architectures in use among the different manufacturers). Basically the Nokia Internet Tablets run Maemo which is a custom Linus distribution specifically for these devices, specially compiled for the closed platform, therefore no BIOS is needed as the hardware is designed to run Maemo specifically and has enough flash memory to fit the whole OS in. Because this is a close platform any firmware update should include all drivers for all devices built in that require drivers, including the webcam. Re-flashing the system should ensure you have a working driver. I hope that long winded explanation makes sense and help you understand. Oh and when I say a closed vs open system, it has nothing to do with Open Source (like Linux or aMSN) and Closed Source (like Windows and Norton).

It definitely sounds like you have a warranty issue as installing an application should not void the warranty. Best thing to do is to talk to tech support.
Good Luck!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1!
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 12:47:28 pm »

Hi,
not much time to post, so I'll be quick :
the device has an OS and a BIOS. Flashing the device will rewrite the bios and OS and kernel, etc.. to the image's state, so the driver should be just as it was, the settings, etc.. should also be reset!
2 possibilites :
1 - your image you are flashing it with is the one being corrupted.. although a checksum is probably done, just make sure, redownload it and verify it's md5 checksum after download.
2 - you are using a backup to restore your settings.. try without that.. maybe some settings are screwing up the webcam...

if none of these are true, then it's most certainly a hardware/warranty issue, and the fact that you installed aMSN had nothing to do with it and was just a pure coincidence.. maybe all it needed is one more 'access' to the webcam for it to get screwed up.. so just go use that warranty of yours before it expires!

good luck!

KaKaRoTo
H@t Trick
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 05:01:00 am »

Ahh so there is a BIOS, I am surprised, but I knew the flashing process would take care of the drivers.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1!
Metal Spirit

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 01:44:32 pm »

Well, I´ll try something that should take care of it, although I will need some help on this.

Since OS2007 and 2008 are incompatible I will reflash back to OS 2007 and see if this fixes the thing. Then I´ll re-flash again to 2008!

Only problem is that I do not know where i can download and how to flash os2007. I´m updating using the nokia updater bus this only re-install the last version.

So... Where can i download OS 2007, and what do i need to do to reflash it? Can anyone here help on that?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 01:52:54 am »

Hi,
to download flash images, go to http://maemo.org then go to downloads, then on the left panel, there's an 'image and os' link or something.. then enter your WLAN mac address to identify, then you can download the images you want...
in theory, flash it with the flasher application giving it the file you downloaded, I don't know how the windows app works, but for linux, you just do ./flasher -f -F filename.bin
and it will flash everything and telling you whether it flashed the bios, kernel, os, etc...

KaKaRoTo
xavx

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 09:21:06 pm »

hello to all

thanks kakaroto, these instructions are exactly what i need.
i am completely new to linux.
i tried doing the procedure but i got a message from the application manager saying program incompatible bla, bla, bla....
so i went to x terminal
and typed
dpkg -i tk8.4_8.4.13-1bora1_armel.deb

but i got this annoying message
dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege

how do i get rid of that?Huh
sincerely little novice

Wink
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 09:16:05 pm »

Hi,
First, you're using the wrong files, you're trying to install the 'bora' files on a probably 'chinook' system.. if you have the OS2008 image, then use the chinook files found on the n810 directory instead of the n800 directory. Also note that you should read everything in this thread as it answers all your current questions.

KaKaRoTo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: