aMSN Forums
January 22, 2018, 03:09:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: aMSN on maemo - Nokia N810, N800 and N770HE  (Read 138218 times)
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:35:00 am »

(see original thread : http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=21461#21461)

UPDATE
For OS2008 (preferably N810), the packages are available here : http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/~kakaroto/n810/
Read the README file to know what to do...
end of UPDATE.

Quote from: "kakaroto"
Hey there, I just managed to compile amsn for the N800.. you can see screenshots here : http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/~kakaroto/n800/
it's so cool!  it's a bit slow, but definitely usable, you would only need to :
1 - collapse the 'offline' group in the contact list
2 - hide the buttonbar in the chat windows (otherwise, you won't read much if you have the virtual keyboard)

it would be nice to remove the 'top' bar where it says who you're chatting with, and maybe also make it not use tabbed chats since it takes up space. Otherwise, as you can see in the screenshot, it's pretty nice. (again, only problem is that the virtual keyboard takes too much space (half the screen?))

I have the .deb for amsn, but it won't install because it depends on tcltls, I had to compile that one manually too, but it doesn't create a deb file, so I manually copied the tcltls files on the device to the right place, and I launched amsn directly from the directory I compiled it in, so I didn't install it. In the end, it worked.
I could spend a bit more time trying to make a debian file out of tcltls, or I could simply give you a tarball with tcltls that you can extract in /usr/lib and remove the dependency on tcltls from the amsn deb file, so you would install amsn.deb and extract tcltls.tar.gz and you're done.

Note that this is now possible since tcl/tk 8.4.13 has been ported to maemo and support for hildon was added. You need to install tcl and tk from this project : https://garage.maemo.org/projects/tcltk/
once it's done, you would need to install amsn and tcltls, and it should work right away.

EDIT :
Ok, so here's the thing. You go grab tcl/tk from  https://garage.maemo.org/projects/tcltk/
install them both, then grab the tcltls and amsn deb files from http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/~kakaroto/n800/ and install them
Once it's installed, you can launch amsn by selecting "aMSN" from the 'Extras' menu.
Important Note: It looks like the application manager doesn't recognize any of the deb files (tcl, tk, tcltls, amsn), so even if it says "incompatible" or whatever, just install them by typing "dpkg -i filename.deb" in the X terminal. It will work.
The debs were tested and should work for both the N770HE and N800 devices.

KaKaRoTo
lokidor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 02:10:08 am »

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum.

I got a brand new n810 for Christmas and I managed to compile amsn for it with your information very useful .
Yes, I want to chat with my friends everywhere...

As you said, the chat is usable.
I tried to use the camera but I had only a black screen.

The xterm show this message :
Code:
ioctl: VIDIOCGCAP(name=";type=0xbed369b8 [OVERLAY,CHROMAKEY,CLIPPING,SCALES,MONOCHROME,MPEG_ENCODER,MJPEG_ENCODER,(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null)];channels=14537568;audios=14027608;maxwidth=1079145136;maxheight=14050000;minwidth=1091793020;minheight=-1093441096): Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character

And a popup say "your webcam uses a combination of palette/resolution that this extension does not support yet"

The webcam works with gizmo or camera so I assume it's only a problem with the driver.

The n810 sensor is the same as the n800 (TCM825x).

Any help would be appreciated if you were able to operate this camera with amsn.

And as a good French I'm so sorry for my bad english. Cheesy
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 03:36:55 am »

salut l'eau qui dort,
Congratulations on getting your N810, it's a nice device huh? Cheesy I also bought mine around christmas and it's useful. I didn't think of trying amsn on it because OS2008 has telepathy-haze being worked on, it's still beta but it's definitely working nicely. You can install it by reading here : http://rtcomm.garage.maemo.org/
you go into red pill mode, then you can install this beta, once it's done, you can add an 'msn' account directly through maemo's 'accounts' setup screen (just like a SIP or google talk account).
I don't feel like doing this right now, but I might take a look later at this webcam issue for amsn (telepathy-haze has no support for webcam chat).

oh and btw, for sure the webcam in the n810 works, the problem is how to access it, gizmo (as well as the native internet call application) uses gstreamer which uses the v4l2src (or gconfv4l2src) gstreamer element, so it's using a v4l2 API to access it. aMSN does support v4l2 and it supports it pretty well but I don't know why it doesn't work in this case.. I'll take a look later.
have fun! Smiley

KaKaRoTo
lokidor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 02:50:21 am »

Thank you for your answer,

Je suis démasqué ...

I tried telepathy, it's pretty cool to see the flashing when messages arrive.
But it does not seem to have a project involving the webcam with an open source software.
Gizmo project is not open.
Google add festoon plugin talk at the time but now it seems to be dead.

So I think It would be nice to have available the webcam available on amsn.

LoKiDoR
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 03:32:26 am »

well, telepathy haze is still in beta as you could see, so maybe it will be more complete by the time it's released.. but it still uses pidgin's libpurple for all the protocol stuff, so, since pidgin doesn't support webcam, it means that telepathy-haze will also not support webcam..
but there's also telepathy-butterfly which uses pymsn for the connection to the msn protocol, it is much better (uses the latest protocol version) but is not as stable or complete as the libpurple one, but it's being developed actively. It does not have webcam support, but work is being done on that (actually, I'm doing porting the amsn code for webcam support to add that into pymsn, so it should be done...).
in the meantime.. I'll take a look at the webcam stuff now.

KaKaRoTo
lokidor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 03:58:39 am »

Ok very good news, the future looks good for my tablet.
Keep up the good work...
I will wait for the new coming deb packages.

LoKiDoR.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 09:28:45 am »

Hello,
very good news! I spent the day building stuff for the n810, First, I compiled tcl8.4, then tcl8.5, then tcltls, then libsnack, then aMSN. Indeed the webcam was not working, but I was able to figure out what the problem was (something wrong with the maemo toolchain...) and fixed it (kind of). In any case, webcam now works! and amsn is definitely usable.
aMSN runs fine now with the n810 keyboard, much better than the virtual keyboard that the n800 had. I was able to run aMSN and have a webcam conversation with it, no problems! Smiley
Here are the stats :
33 seconds to load.
Once loaded, take 42MB of memory
Once loaded, uses 0.1% of the CPU
Opening a chat window takes around 9 seconds
Sending webcam uses 45% of CPU and framerate is good (maybe 10fps?)
Voice clips don't seem to work (receiving is good, sending is not), libsnack isn't able to play any audio (I fixed it by using a system command), and recording seems to be very very bad (+ it takes AGES to encode and send the damn voice clip).
The tray icon works fine but is useless (apart from your status and minimize to tray) since you can't "right-click"
You can minimize to tray (but it works once out of 2 tries).
You can't right click.
The menus are visible just like on a  PC, and are not the 'hildonized' menus.
Pushing the 'menu' button from the keyboard generates a bug report (but clickin on the menu does work without problems).
The Shift and Fn keys on the keyboard do not 'stick', in other words, pushing 'Fn' then 'd' will not output '@', it will just output 'd'. BUT you can push 'Fn' AND 'd' at the same time to get the '@'. Same applies for shift. This means that you can't have a 'caps lock' or a 'Fn lock' by pushing the keys twice.

That's about it. I think I'll start using it now, so... if I find something annoying, I'll fix it (and vivia and Alvaro, two other developers will get their N810 soon, so we'll be 3 aMSN developers with an N810 :p).

One last thing, you should probably open an x-terminal and type "rm -rf ~/.amsn" to remove all your previous settings, if you had any previous profile created on your n810 and you don't want to loose your logs/whatever, just make sure the command to play a sound (preferences->others) is "play-sound $sound" and not "play $sound".

Oh.. I almost forgot.. hehe, here's the link : http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/~kakaroto/n810/
You just click the .deb files and then 'open' and it should install them (no need to "dpkg -i" like the older packages). Install tcl8.4, then tk8.4, then tcltls, then libsnack and finally aMSN. It will ask you in which menu you want to put the icon (yeay! :p) then just click 'aMSN' from the menu where you stored it (Extras by default) Smiley
Have fun!

I'll be waiting for your feedback!

KaKaRoTo
lokidor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 03:57:52 pm »

You rocks !

I will try it right now and send my comments. Smiley
lokidor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 07:05:23 pm »

Ok so now my webcam is working, it's very nice !

Some points :

The sound does not work when I chat.
Prior launching amsn, I deleted the config folder so the new xml config file is correct with the command to play a sound "play-sound $sound".
I checked this point in the audio/video configuration wizard.
However, I am able to heard the audio sample in the wizard with the default device.
I am also able to record my voice in the wizard with the default device, but only once.
I only see the signal increase so the microphone is working but when I push the stop button amsn is hanging and I can't try to play the recorded sample because the play button is still disabled.
A this point, I need to kill amsn and when I try again there is an error message below the command button "Could not open default for read".
If I restart the tablet I am able to use the microphone again in the wizard.

Other point, the command to launch the web browser (preferences->others) is "/usr/bin/browser --url $url" and not "mozilla $url".

Last point, like you said previously, the application manager still doesn't recognize any of the deb files (incompatible package) but they can be installed in the command line by typing "dpkg -i filename.deb".
When I built the packages the first time, I checked the maemo howto page for that and noticed an important point about the section syntax name in the control file which must be like "user/xxx" where xxx is a category defined in the howto.
I checked this point in your packages by typing "dpkg -I filename.deb" and it seems that the section name does not follow this rule.
I assume the application manager hangs on this parameter.

LoKiDoR
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 09:46:05 pm »

lokidor :
the sound should work Cry try listening really hard, I noticed that the 'play-sound' command plays the sound but with a very low sound volume
you should always be able to record your voice (but it's scrambled sound)
it does 'hang' for some reason after you send a voice clip, and you don't need to kill amsn, you just need to wait long enough.. maybe 30 seconds or more, then it unfreezes and you can continue chatting or listen to your voice clip...
ah, yes, I didn't fix the browser url, not important for now... it's just a compiled package, not a 'port' to maemo :p

about the deb files, that's not true! I tried it on mine and it works just fine! ok, maybe the section is not correct, but it shouldn't crash on it. I'll fix those tonight, but it does work. Did you update your n810 ? make sure you do that.. since I bought mine, there was a system update, so you need to plug your n810 to your pc with the usb cable and download the 150MB flash image and flash your device with the new update (make sure you do a backup before).
Maybe that's why it was incompatible with your system and wasn't with mine.

KaKaRoTo
lokidor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 10:36:55 pm »

My version is 2.2007.50-2, I made a system update the day I got mine but maybe there is a new version.
I will check tomorow, the battery is empty I played with it all the day...
  Cheesy
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 06:48:54 am »

I also have 2.2007.50-2.. so I wonder why it works for me and not for you... as far as I know, there is no newer version that this one.. but a new update should be released soon (with the rtcomm beta), anyways, as long as you got it installed, it's all good.

KaKaRoTo
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 11:40:28 pm »

Hello,
I made some screenshots if you want to see them : http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/~kakaroto/n810/screenshots

KaKaRoTo
lokidor

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 01:44:51 am »

Hello,

Looking at your screenshots I thought that the "Incompatible application package"  error message of the application manager could come from my settings (theme and language), so I changed them to be identical to yours, but without success Sad

This message is not very explicit, I could do other tests tomorrow but for now I have no idea of what to do. I am open to suggestions.

Last thing, on the wizard page I set the camera resolution to low and then when I wanted to reset this parameter I faced a problem with the window buttons that are hidden by the camera picture, so it's difficult to continue the wizard.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 03:10:02 am »

Hi lokidor, I found a solution for the incompatible package, sorry I forgot to post it here, I posted it in the internettablettalk forum :
Quote from: "kakaroto"
hhaaa, gadget25, I have a solution for you! I still don't know yet why it doesn't want to install but I now know why it installed on my n810 without complaining about the 'incompatible application package' error. You just need to enable the red pill mode. This is much easier than gaining root access.. here's how you can do it :
1 - open application manager
2 - click on the menu then 'tools' then 'application catalogue'
3 - Click on the 'New' button
4 - in the 'Web address' field, delete the 'http://' and write 'matrix'
5 - click on the 'cancel' button
6 - a popup will appear asking you "Which pill?" and two buttons, one "red" and one "Blue". click on the "Red" button.
7 - now close the application catalog window
8 - go to http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/~kakaroto/n810
9 - install the packages in this order : tcl8.4, tk8.4, tcltls, libsnack2, amsn
10 - go back to step 1 and when asked to choose which pill, click on the "blue" button this time and you're done!

p.s: I'm still trying to understand why it's incompatible when not in red pill mode.. if anyone can help.. please.. tell me.

So that's why it works for me, it's because I use the red pill mode. Apparently red pill mode disables some checking from the application manager like the check for the package compatibility.
I didn't try the section thing yet though...

About the wizard thing, I know, I noticed that too, so I put the 'low res webcam' option to be able to do next.. but I just simply 'cancel' it in the end.. by default, it finds your webcam, the brightness/etc.. can't be configured for some reason (+ you can do it during a call, but you still can't click 'ok', lol), and the snack library doesn't need any configuration either... it just won't work :p

KaKaRoTo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: