aMSN Forums
November 28, 2014, 10:28:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Script for downloading/compiling aMSN from svn  (Read 33907 times)
unimatrix
Power user

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2007, 06:41:29 pm »

Description:
This script is designed for Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10) !
It will download and install all the needed dependencies, including Farsight2, gstreamer-plugins-farsight, V4L, GUPNP-IPD.
And of course it will download, compile and install aMSN using deb packages and all the plugins from the svn repository.
You can run it as many times as you want. First time you run it it will install amsn, the second and all successive it will update it to the latest svn revision (unless it's already at latest revision).
The script is located in my SVN repository because I constantly update it to work with the latest aMSN svn revision and because you will need Subversion to get the latest aMSN anyway.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN:
If all you are trying to do is obtain the latest version of aMsn for Ubuntu, then you should install it from the Daily PPA instead:
https://launchpad.net/~amsn-daily/+archive/ppa

Instructions:
1. Install svn (if you haven't already):
Code:
sudo apt-get install subversion
2. Download script from my SVN repository:
Code:
svn co http://bojler.ath.cx/svn/scripts/amsnsvninst
3. Run script:
Code:
./amsnsvninst/amsnsvninst

Notes:
If you are using SCIM, you need to edit /usr/bin/amsn and comment out the line XMODIFIERS='' or change it to XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'. Depending on your system configuration.
Oh, and if you want to share the script with somebody he/she doesn't need to install subversion, the script will.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:13:27 pm by unimatrix » Logged
BartOtten

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:08:45 am »

Maybe we could merge this project with my project?

http://amsn-project.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3193
unimatrix
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 12:03:36 pm »

I saw your project and it looks very nice. But there is one little difference between our two scripts: mine tends to be fully automatic, and yours is like a user-friendly step-by-step wizzard. I like both options, so if we were to merge the projects it would be a nice idea to be able to choose the mode (either a click&go or a friendly menu style).
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 04:38:24 pm »

./script -unattended
option ?

KaKaRoTo
unimatrix
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 04:46:17 pm »

I do intend to add options. I'm already working on a simple parser.
Anyways, the only current mode is unattended, but if BartOtten agrees to help me we can make an "attended" version - something like his aMsn Updater i suppose.

EDIT: The script is now fully unattended by default, so all you need to do is run it.
unimatrix
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 04:17:34 pm »

Announcing major update. Please test the script Smiley
trv
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 05:30:38 pm »

this script is going to make your installation a mess in my opinion.

1) gstfarsight and farsight2 are installed with make install command. Thats not acceptable in a standard debian system. You should create a deb package and then install it with dpkg -i. You can easily create deb packages from any source if instead make install you type checkinstall (if you apt-get it first of cource).

2) farsight2 and gst farsight are already available for hardy as deb packages, from the telepathy ppa repository! No need to install anything from source or create packages! See here: https://launchpad.net/~telepathy/+archive

[ unfortunatelly, the gstfarsight version is the previus one, and does not include siren. We can ask/upload the new version, or just create the package with checkinstall locally ]

3) You install amsn with the 'make install' command. The whole reason that the 'make deb' command exists, is so that you can create a nice deb package and install it, so that you can easily uninstall it when you want.

These 3 points come from a very fast examination of your script, unfortunatelly i dont have time to examine it more.

I would NOT suggest it to anyone, since it will mess up the installation.

Its a common/best practice in debian based systems, that 'if something exists/can be install as a .deb package, the do it' instead of installing from source.

If we needed to install from source everything, we would run gentoo... :>

Appart from all these, if you change your script a little, to avoid the 'direct' installations, make deb package for amsn, and install the pre-built farsight .deb files, then it would be a nice script to use, that doesn't mess up a users system.
unimatrix
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 05:50:42 pm »

Thank you for your review. I will fix the script to comply with the standards.
unimatrix
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 06:50:41 pm »

OK, almost done now.
Still one problem. The deb file seems to depend on tk8.4 ... wtf?! Should I just force the install?
trv
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 07:02:36 pm »

thats a known problem i have posted about here on the forums, but kakaroto seems to ignore me Tongue
for now, you can just do a 'sed' before the make deb command, and change the /debian/control file in amsn package, replace tcl8.4 and tk8.4 with tcl8.5 and tk8.5.

Then the package that 'make deb' will produce, will not depend on tcl8.4 and tk8.4.

Another suggestion:

I can see a lot of code for tclConfig.sh and such files.

There is no need for all that.

You can just ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/lib/tcl8.5 and --with-tk=/usr/lib/tk8.5 and be done with it, no need to search for directories etc! Thats the place the packages get installed in hardy, and amsn can find them directly there.

//happy 100posts to myself :>
unimatrix
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 07:44:15 pm »

OK thanks for the info. I'll make the script workaround the tk8.4 problem.

I can see a lot of code for tclConfig.sh and such files.
There is no need for all that.

Yea I was gonna remove that. That's still from the Gutsy script. It didn't seem to work without it.
EDIT: keeping this... it doesn't work without it
EDIT2: ok nevermind... you were right (but only if the tcl/tk path is not /usr/lib)

You can just ./configure --with-tcl=/usr/lib/tcl8.5 and --with-tk=/usr/lib/tk8.5 and be done with it, no need to search for directories etc! Thats the place the packages get installed in hardy, and amsn can find them directly there.

Doesn't find tcl or tk without this. Keeping it.
EDIT2: Sorry about that, I didn't read it well enough. Will make it act this way now.
unimatrix
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 10:12:29 pm »

There we go. Updated.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 11:03:06 pm »

the svn now fixes the tcl/tk 8.4 vs 8.5 issue with the control file.
congrats to trv for his 100th post!

KaKaRoTo
unimatrix
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 03:35:18 pm »

@kakaroto
Awesome. Tested it and it works like a charm. Smiley
I'm only wondering why all the dpkg-shlibdeps warnings when making a deb? Well it doesn't affect the build, just seems like it could do without.

PS: The script is now fully functional
gabrieloceano

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 06:54:02 pm »

Hey Unimatrix!
Great idea you had!!

But I just followed your instructions and got the error:

"Loading TkCximage failed. This module is needed to run aMSN. Please compile aMSN first, instructions on how to compile are located on te file INSTALL"

Is it supposed to happen??
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: