aMSN Forums
August 21, 2018, 08:35:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Encrypted chat with aMSN (with SIMPLITE for unix)  (Read 91514 times)
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 07:53:29 pm »

Hi welcome to the forums,
you seem to be pro-conspiracy theory Smiley but you bring up some good points. What you don't seem to understand is that aMSN is open source and with very limited resources, we only do what we need/want to do and no developer seems interested in encryption, so we never wrote anything for it. I had a look once at OTR and it seemed complicated to write and I didn't want to do it. All these encryption solution are contributed by users.. someone wanted to use simplite and he gave instructions here, as simple as that.. someone else wanted GPG encryption and he wrote the Kryptonite plugin. If you are interested in OTR, then by all means, write a plugin for using it, noone is preventing you from doing so, on the contrary, we'd be glad to have an OTR implementation.
If you really want security, I suggest you move to jabber, but if you want to keep in touch with your MSN friends that do not wish to move to jabber, then you can either use the Kryptonite plugin (only amsn to amsn support) or pidgin with OTR, or implement your own OTR plugin for aMSN.

KaKaRoTo
tomestat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 03:08:09 am »

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, for your code, and for sharing it Smiley

I didn't think that amsn had a small dev team, because i thought it was one of the most used msn-only alternatives.

I think i will try and have a look at tcl-tk at first, and then at interfacing with otr. I'm not a developer, but for this period i have time enough and i imagine this bridge is not an incredibly complicated task. It will be a good thing for me, and i hope it will become mature enough to be good for you also Smiley

Inbetween, i think i will use 2 different clients :-/
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 05:04:57 pm »

ok cool! We always appreciate contributions! Smiley

The aMSN team bloomed at some point 6 or 7 years ago, we got maybe 30 developers, but they're all inactive.. we only have one or two developers now that are active "from time to time".. so yeah, it's a very popular client, but only users seem interested, not much developers...
OTR's API is available afaik and should be easy, the plugins for amsn should also be easy, just look at existing implementations.. the thing is that you'll have to write a Tcl extension in C to bridge Tcl with the OTR library.. it's also easy, but the whole thing will need some time and some learning!
good luck with that!

KaKaRoTo
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: