aMSN Forums
April 02, 2020, 04:06:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Do normal camcorders work as webcams with amsn?  (Read 23294 times)
carlos.gil

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2006, 08:00:57 pm »

Hi,

my question is an easy one Smiley

It's possible to use a sony camcorder as webcam like in the msn?
If it's possible, what do I have to do to use it

Yhanks

Carlos Gil
bluetit
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 11:50:38 pm »

Can you use your sony camcorder with xawtv? If so, then you can with amsn. It more depends on what drivers you have, rather than "can amsn support it". I think I'm right, but not entirely sure...help me out here kakaroto or anyone else who knows!

Tom

~Bluetit
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:31:29 pm »

Yes, bluetit, you're right, if it works with xawtv, it will work with amsn, if your camcorder has a v4l or v4l2 compatible driver for linux, then it will work!
same goes for your tv card, if any...

KaKaRoTo
carlos.gil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 06:25:02 pm »

Where can i find out if there's a compatible driver for my camcorder. I have already used it to edit video in linux but trough firewire is that usefull or has nothing to do with it?

Carlos Gil
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 07:07:54 pm »

aMSN is :
IM client

aMSN is NOT :
a video4linux (v4l) help project
a USB/firewire/linux kernel help project
a search engine like google.

aMSN team is :
there to help you by answering aMSN related questions

aMSN team is NOT :
there to search for a suitable driver for you camcorder.

KaKaRoTo
bluetit
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 11:18:14 pm »

Hehe, in other words, you are better searching google for linux drivers for your cam... but if you are using it on linux already then you probably have drivers....
Try viewing it with xawtv (to find out how to do that, google for it)
Apart from that we can't help.
Don't take offence from kakaroto's reply he just gets stressed Smiley

Tom

~Bluetit
carlos.gil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 12:51:51 am »

well... thanks anyway
tone_1620

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 10:15:02 pm »

Well, I think you should have a capture video card inside your computer. then you should try to find a driver compatible with your capture videocard.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 03:47:14 am »

tone_1620 : what you said is totally false, has nothing to do with it, he has a camcorder (a camera) and he uses firewire to plug it in, so your 'capture video caute inside the computer' you said is absolutely useless and means nothing..
if you don't know what you're talking about, I would prefer you don't say anything, or else you might cause problems to our users by making them think something wrong, and they'll loose their time trying to figure it out and we'll loose our time trying to make them understand you weren't right.
Also, the thread was answered, finished, closed, since january, so why come almost 5 months later to answer something completly inapropriate on a closed subject?Huh

KaKaRoTo
tone_1620

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2006, 05:15:15 am »

Kakaroto, I am not a so expert like you. I don't speak English also, I speak Portuguese, so I have a strong dificulty to express my self and to understand in English. I didn't see that this thread was closed since January. But I think that I could help someone who have dificulties alike with linux. As I already told, I am not an expert as you. I am an almost new bye. But what I know is that I already used my old Panasonic Camcorder in my desktop using a Prolink PixelView Capture Videocard bttv878 inside running Mandrake Linux 6.0 Operational System (3 or 4 years ago). If you don't believe it is not my problem. It is a problem of your "big ego"...  Why to be so "acid"? Did you satisfy yourself with such a behavior like that?
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 09:52:59 am »

tone, I know you're not an expert, and I'm not saying I'm an expert myself, what I say is that, if you don't know an answer, then you're better not saying it! I never answer a question if I'm not sure I understood the question correctly, so you, obviously knowing less than me on this exact subject, should also not answer without knowing what you're saying. Especially if you say you don't understand english very well.
Also, about this thread, the last message was a "Thanks anyways", it wasn't a question, so it's obvious that the subject was closed, also, the last message date was January 5th, and since the posts in the forum are sorted by date, you probably found this post in the 4th or 5th page of this forum, which meant it was old.. (unless you used the search engine, in which case you should be more vigilent).
also, about you, using your camcorder with the capture videocard, why be so "acid" yourself, I never said I don't beleive you, I never said it was impossible to use a video capture card to capture from a camcorder, on the contrary, it is possible and I beleive you, but what I said is that, this user said :
 I have already used it to edit video in linux but trough firewire

which means he's using firewire (his camcorder supports sending through firewire, it's like plugging it with USB, so he doesn't need any capture card), since he said he was already able to make it work with firewire, then it means you don't need to advice him to use a capture card!
I would like you to not talk about my "big ego", I have no ego, I am just angry and frustrated and have a bad temper, when it comes to situations like this, you can see in other cases, where the users know how to talk (in terms of politeness, patience, and understanding), I can be very kind, but in this situation, where you answer a 5 months old thread that you didn't even understand and to give an advice that means nothing to the user, then yes, I get frustrated, because, as I exlained it to you (if I had any ego, I wouldn't have taken the time to explain it to you previously, nor repeat it now, I would have just banned you, or locked the thread, or whatever...), so as I explained earlier, you don't understand something and you give a false answer, this causes US the problems, for you, you just answered, you go to bed, for us, it's spending another 30 minutes trying to understand the problem of the user, making him understand that you didn't say something usefull, the user will eventually try what you said anyways, then when we ask about something, we might get a false answer because they tried your method and give the results for your advice, not ours, so when they say "it didn't work", we waste our time trying to understand why it didn't work thinking that what we said didn't work, while in fact the user was saying that what you said didn't work, and he didn't even read our own posts.. this results in 10 more posts, spending a week trying to figure out the problem before realizing there was a big misunderstanding, that could have been avoided if you didn't jump in "just to post"... what I'm telling you here is a real time situation that happened MANY times, so don't you say I'm exagerating or whatever, you bring confusion, it hurts us all.
About me being "acid", you could never understand it.. when vivia first came, she saw some of my reactions like this one, and we spent hours talking about it, she couldn't understand, always saying "try to stay calm, don't answer them, you don't need to talk like this", etc... and I simply told her "try to do 3 years of support for aMSN users and you'll understand me", after I think 1 or 2 months being with us, I saw that almost all of vivia's answers to situations like this, becoming even worst than mine, and now she tells me "now I understand you, how were you able to keep it up like this during 3 years before you started being agressive".
You must live it before you can understand it, giving support to customers is really not easy, you always get a bunch of people doing unbeleivable stuff (like what you just did), causing problems, asking the same question over and over again... what would you do if you see 4 threads, one after the other, each one from a different person, each one asking the EXACT SAME question... all of them, right after another thread that says "if you have this problem, this is what you should do", in a forum where there is an annoucement that says in capital letters "do not post without searching the forum for your question before"... and yet nobody searches the forum, nobody even takes the time to read the thread that is right on the top of the list and with the same subject as the one they are about to write... it's really frustrating, you say "whatever, forget about it, it's ok", but when you see it everyday, trust me, you become "acid" as you said...
I hope I answered your question of
why  to be so "acid"?

about my behavior, no, it doesn't satisfy me, what would satisfy me is that people start thinking a little bit, starting acting with a bit of reponsability, search the forums before asking for example, just doing that would be great... that, that would really satisfy me.. but why I get it all outside like this, is because if I don't, I might get sick, and that is not recommended...
by the way, I remembered some posts we got :
many of the posts are like this :
help me please, I get an error
... WHAT error!!! what do you do to get this error... do you really think someone with a brain would write something like this, they think we have divine power and we'll know what happened just like that ??
we also received a lot of posts that say :
amsn won't run, it tells me "you need to compile amsn, read the INSTALL file to know how to compile it", what should I do
and the answer is as simple as "you need to compile amsn, read the INSTALL file to know how to do it", then they say "ok, thanx, I found it, I compiled and now it works"... I mean, amsn gave them that error, they just pasted it without even reading it Huh is it more difficult to read it than to find the forums, create an account, then post, then wait for the anwer Huh and when the 0.95 was out, we had a question like this, maybe 2 or 3 times per day... can you believe it ?
this is what I mean when I say, what would really satisfy me is not my behavior but it would be that people start to use their brains!!!
anyways, I just hope you understood me, I know you're not good in english, so I hope my message was not too complicated and that the message will reach you and you will understand it without any problems and without misinterpretations of what I said.
Take care.

KaKaRoTo
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 12:03:21 pm »

tone_1620 : Try being active on support forums for a short while and then you'll perfectly understand why we get so angry about irrelevant/undetailed posts. kakaroto has been on amsn forums for years and i admire his patience already. Imagine.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 04:27:34 pm »

ouch.. I didn't realize I wrote that much :$

KaKaRoTo
woekele
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 04:42:45 pm »

Haha, that is a great rant actually Cheesy

I worked for over a year at the helpdesk of an internet provider, I quit because I felt that my head couldnt take it much longer Wink
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 08:54:49 pm »

If you're genius enough to make something foolproof, then you'll find someone, somewhere, who is fool enough to break it.

KaKaRoTo
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: