aMSN Forums
October 25, 2014, 10:23:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: MSN Censorship  (Read 76811 times)
dr frankenstein

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2005, 06:21:03 am »

Hi. Many of you knows that every message containing *download.php* is blocked by MSN servers...

I just want to know if there are other things that are censored, and if anybody knows, WHY? If it's a virus protection it's a really stupid way to do it, and I don't think *download.htm* is blocked, si it doesn't make any sense...
Backup2
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 08:35:01 am »

php can be used to create dynamic sites, where as html is more likely to be something static......everyone knows that, I dont know why I'm saying it....

but yeah, i guess they dont want dumb ass users to download viruses, but it would have been neater if the user could select if she/he wants to have filtering on/off.
k0nt3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 01:55:11 pm »

also asp pages are dynamic but... what is wrong? download.asp is not blocked!!
anyway I have some problem sending a little avi file! the first time the transfer started but after some seconds stalled! I tried to resend the file but didn't start at all! is MY problem (eg. I'm stupid and I'm not able to configure the firewall) or YOU too? I suspect that uncle Bill is monitoring all transfers ;DDD!
pyg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 06:54:33 am »

It's stupid in my opinion, because someone could just name their page read.php or anything instead of download and it'll still work.  Another thing though, anything containing ".pif" gets blocked as well.  I got it off a french forum

edit: ps. I just emailed msn messenger tech support and asked for a list.  My first time talking to them; I wonder how helpful they'll be. :wink:
vivia
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 10:27:46 pm »

Seems they just wanted to prevent a virus from spreading. The virus probably told you "hey go to this cool page" or something...
pyg

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 12:01:19 am »

Alright, I got a reply back from msn:

Based on the information I received, I understand that you have
discovered that MSN Messenger blocks messages containing "download
php." You want to know what other banned words. I apologize for the
inconvenience this has caused you. Please know that I will help you
with this issue.There is no word filtering feature in MSN Messenger.
You can send any text in an instant message, unless your contact is
using a third party application that supports this feature. However,
if you are transferring files through MSN Messenger, the following
types of files are blocked by MSN Messenger:ade, adp, app, asp, bas,
bat, cer, chm, cmd, com, cpl, crt, csh, exe, fxp, hlp, hta, inf, ins,
isp, its, js, jse, ksh, lnk, mad, maf, mag, mam, maq, mar, mas, mat,
mau, mav, maw, mda, mdb, mde, mdt, mdw, mdz, msc, msi, msp, mst

Seems the tech support doesn't know about this?  I wonder what's going on...
majinsoftware
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 02:51:02 am »

tec supports never know anything. I cant rember the website i emailed telling them about a exploit in there code but all they did was email me back something like this.

Thank you for the email all problems can be fixed follwing the guides here.

www.blahblah.com/faq.php

And another time I rang up my ISP to change my service to a static IP and no one knew what it was. They redirect to to my telephon provider and they were like

Internet Protcal you want to change it, Isnt that Illegal?

I couldnt be bothred trying to explain it to every one they redirected me to so i just changed ISP to one that has it by defult.
pyg

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 05:34:37 am »

hahaha. "isn't that fraud?" man...I can do one of two things now, keep bugging them, or leave it be.
the_y_man
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 05:45:37 pm »

Remember, when you're calling tech support, it's actually only "tech" support.
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 09:28:00 pm »

haha, yeah, 'tech' support... should be called 'bot support'.. I actually had to write to them a few times before I get my address unbanned.. humm, yeah, when I was creating all that 'who banned you detector' feature in amsn, I had a way to poll each user.. I used it by opening a chat with every offline contact, every 30secs... seemed to work, did some testings... then, when I committed, after a 1 or 2 hour polling, my address waas blocked (and burger's address.. ) then we removed the feature until I fixed that (poll every 5 minutes using the same SB, as in a multi conversation).. anyways, by opening so many chat conversations, the M$ servers detected me as being a 'spam attacker' (you know, when you get thousands of chat windows opening from people you don't have on your list, telling you to visit a site, and they close the convo?) so my mail was blocked... I emails M$ to say 'I'm not a spammer, can I get my account unbanned'.. took me a month of back and forth with emails with them.. they were saying "make sure you're connected, verify your firewall allows msn application, etc..." I had to explain 100 times that I AM A GEEK!! (lol), I get the answer "500" from the NS, and everything, explaiined it so much... after I think 5 emails/replies they finally 'talked to me'.. before it was just something like an automated bot searching for patterns in my email and answering common FAQ questions out of the patterns it found, like "can't connect", it answer "please check your internet... ISP... firewall.. blabla"...
then, I had to make the tech guy understand the problem, then make him understand the problem, then make him understand that he didn't understand the problem, then make him redirect me to the 'technical guys', then do the same thing over again, then I got my account back..
2 or 3 days later, I realised that polling each 5 minutes would make my account banned again... been 3+ years, I never had the courage to ask them to re-enable my account Tongue

how smart are these guys ?

KaKaRoTo
bluetit
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 10:12:27 pm »

hhahaha, ohdear.
we all know you have a secret plan to take over the world using msn exploits anyway....

~Bluetit
mtz4life

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 05:23:23 am »

i had the same experience with them too ..a while ago when i decided to be 100% linux user( and deleting my winxp) from my comp. since outlook express doesnt work in linux, i wanted to use other mail clients( i had thunderbird in mind). So i looked everywhere in their website but all i could see was outlook express and microsoft outlook. So, i wrote them an email, asking if i could use mail clients other than those two. After checking my inbox every half an hour for two days i got a reply that looked like computer generated and it had absolutely nothing about my question.

Man, i was furious ..two days later, they sent me another email asking if i was satisfied with the answers they gave me ..if there was a grade lower than F, i would have given them ..i gave them F in everything and wrote a very long explanation why i gave them that ..then i moved to gmail ..but i still use it for chatting ..and thats why i am still using amsn Cheesy ..i didnt know they could ban email accounts ..i glad they didnt ban mine .. Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

micro$ucks ..ups :?  microsoft!!

PCLinuxOS, radically simple
"Linux is evolution, not intelligent design" - linus torvalds
qbasic fan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 01:27:40 pm »

Hi!

Just wanted to tell that ".scr" is being censored too. (screensaver files)
I have 2 msn accounts so sometimes i log in to both and try to find censored words  :lol:

Does microsucks really say that there is no censorship?? Thats unbelieveable... so low.

my website if anyone is interested:http://web.telia.com/~u89107348
qbasic fan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »

Oh i forgot! Someone in another thread noticed that ".pif" is censored too

qbasic fan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 01:39:02 pm »

one of the most weirds blocks ive seen is that my ISP dont allow me to upload files called readme.txt to my website.  :shock:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: