aMSN Forums
February 18, 2019, 07:22:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  
Author Topic: A New Skin: Emerald  (Read 100605 times)
tomhennigan
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2006, 08:46:00 pm »

Happy birthday GuS!!

MacBook Black C2D 2.4 13" - Mac OS X Snow Leopard
http://tomhennigan.co.uk/
GuS-Arg
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2006, 11:04:32 pm »

Quote from: "tg90nor"
Hey GuS,

Do you mind if I put this skin (and the other skins you have made) on the website?
They are really too great to be hidden away in the forums...

Yes please! the other day i was telling to vivia that i wanted to contact you... just i have to much work i forgot.
Thanks for doing it that Smiley With time i will improve Ubuntu and Kubuntu skin, for now is just that Smiley

Cheers.

GuS-Arg
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2006, 11:06:06 pm »

Quote from: "tomhennigan"
Happy birthday GuS!!

Thanks Tom!!!!
I am enjoying this day Smiley

tg90nor

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2006, 09:41:01 pm »

The skins are now on the website!
If you want anything changed, just tell me...
I will upload screenshots in a few days.

Thomas Geirhovd,
Skins and plugins manager
GuS-Arg
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2006, 01:55:06 am »

Quote from: "tg90nor"
The skins are now on the website!
If you want anything changed, just tell me...
I will upload screenshots in a few days.

Thank you very much! Smiley

By the way, you have left the Live Skin (is in KDE-look too).

EDIT: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=39203

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2006, 01:17:19 am »

Hi Gus,
I had a quick look at your skin finally. It's really nice, you did one hell of a job here. congrats!:)
Just a few comments, I don't know if other proposed that or if you already explained your reasons for that design (in which case sorry for not having the time to read the whole thread).. but here's what I noticed :

- great, for once someone changed the taskbar/traydock icons in his skin Smiley but I don't know if it's because I have a too high resolution (1600x1200) but it's a bit difficult to see that it's 3 buddies, there's too small. the traydock is perfect though!

- I like the whole feeling, but isn't it too white ? I mean, I think it's possible to modify the background colors in the skin, I think it would be better if the background of the chat window and the contact list were a little less white, maybe something blueish...
ok, here, I took a shot and changed a few colors, only for the CL and top of the CL, look at these and tell me what you think, maybe you can find better colors :
Code:

<topcontactlistbg>#DAE7ED</topcontactlistbg><!-- color for the top of the contact list, the status part -->
<contactlistbg>#ECF3F6</contactlistbg> <!-- color of the contact list, where the contacts appear -->

If you change the color like that, your images will need to change too, they don't have a transparent background...

- The tooltip is not that nice, I liked the one we had with the default, a blue tooltip with a border, that's nice.. now, there is no border at all (I'm on windows), so it's ugly because you don't see the tooltip, you only see text over text... the skin should be made 'international' if you want it to become the new default skin.

- the expand/collapse buttons of the groups are sooo hard to see, you can't possibly know which one is what, it's really hard to see, the contrast between the arrow and the background is hard to see.

- oh, one thing that stands out, the bar between the cl and top_cl, where you wrote 'emerald' is too large, yes I know, you like it like that, but I just think it's too large.. maybe have it half the height would be nice.. also, I like the 'emerald' written on it, but if you want it to become the default skin, maybe make someone more international like 'aMSN' or something like that... also the contrast again makes it hard to read the 'emerald' text.

- The two circles in the tab buttons.. I don't understand why 2 ? especially since the second one does nothing.. if you want to add it only on the hover and flicker, it would be nice, but add it in normal, it seems to be useless being there...
If you still want to keep it, could you at least switch the buttons of places? I mean, the 'close' button should always be on the top, no ?
Oh, I just had a (great?) idea.. why don't you put the close button an invisible button ? and then, add it to the appropriate place in the selected and hover image of the tab.. so that a tab has no 'close button', but when you put your mouse over a tab, the close button appears, and when you put the mouse over the close button of that tab, it gets 'hovered' correctly ? you know what I mean ?
tab_close : invisible image
tab_close_hover : the close button in 'hovered' mode
tab : the tab image without the button in it (like it is now)
tab_current : the current tab with the close button in it
tab_flicker : the tab button in flicker mode
tab_hover : the tab button in hover mode AND with the close button embeded in it

- The nudge/invite/file transfer/ink draw/buttext.png/tex buttons are difficult to understand... they really look nice, but I think the contrast makes them difficult to see. nudge is good but not easy to understand just by looking at it (although the M$ nudge button had the same effect the first time I saw it:p) but that should be ok, the invite is also ok, but the FT one is a bit hard to see what it represents.. the inkdraw too, and the tex one is good, you just need to make the text appear bolder in the blackboard.

- I suppose you did it on purpose to not change the colors of the top bar depending on the state of the user.. as well as not show the user's nick in green/red/whatever in the CL depending on state. That's your choice and I think it's better this way (I like it the other way but it fits better in the whole skin like this). Although for the top of the chat window, you could *slightly* modify the color...

- The border padding in the chat window are too big I think...

- I just looked at your notification windows, they're nice, I like that, but it's difficult to see which one is what..  that little button on top is difficult to see especially if you didn't have time to look at the window before it disappeared, same with the alarm.png one... you should maybe make the change more visible so people can easily know when someone "just connected" or "just went offline'

- I listened to the sounds, they're from the official client, right ? that's not important, but I think they should be made custom along with the smileys if the skin is to ever become the new default one.

- the alarm.wav sound is tooo short for an alarm.. that alarm sound should be enough to wake you up.. I used the previous default one (not the current one) as my alarm that woke me up every morning, and I can tell you it WAS an alarm... now yours wouldn't wake up a bird... it has to be more 'agressive', and a bit longer.. maybe like a horn or something, not sure.

- I like the display picture, but I wonder if we can keep the default amsn display picture with your skin, maybe just remaster it, like, keep the same DP but make it more 'emeraldy' .. but for it to be international, the '.linux' should disappear...

- You should maybe ship in multiple display pictures, the current default ones we have are not that good...
I also think you found a bug, look in the 'change display picture' window.. I see the default DPs, but when I choose the default 'amsn.png' DP, it changes it to the emerald amsn.png DP.. but emerald amsn.png DP doesn't show up in the list...

That's about it, I think... maybe other stuff will appear to me... maybe some stuff I said here are weird because I'm used to something else but we can get used to this too.. (like the default skin's emoticons, I hated them at the begining, now I'm used to them).
I know there's a lot of criticism, but it doesn't mean I didn't like the skin, it's really great and you're really good and have good artistic skills, I can't beleive you became so skilled so fast!
Anyways, keep it up, comment back on my comments, you can reject some if you like, as you already know, I'm bad at design...
You should meet with Tom Jenkins (if available) and Lee in order to decide for a good 'new default' skin.. I think we'll have to drop the contest I talked about earlier and we'll just have to start desiging a skin in order to become the new default skin.
good luck!

p.s.: send me your mail over PM so I can add you to my list if you don't mind.
p.p.s: btw, could you add the voice clip button for your skin too ? and if you're kind enough create one for the current default skin too Smiley thx

KaKaRoTo
GuS-Arg
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2006, 01:22:20 am »

Thanks KKRT i must say, you toke you time to give me some feedbacks, comments and opinion about Emerald Skin. Don't think i will reject it... not at all... from what i did once in the forum... is the past... we all have bad times...
Since the post is to big (i did't quoted for that) i will print it and read it carefully again. I saw very constructive words here Smiley
This is the first version of Emerald, and i was thinking in changing somethings, so your post comes perfect right now.
About the tray, yes... hard to see the 3 buddys... in recently designs... i've changed that to only 2 or 1 with some other art... i will see how to manage.
About the contrast, yes... need to be improved. Like there is "too white" colors, some graphics are hardly to see "perfect" or better. Thats in TODO list.
About smiles... like i say in this thread, i am planing to design the hole smiley set... just i need more time... and right know i am not living the best time of my life... but that is apart.
I need to concentrate again, hopefully i will inspired again, and more reading this. All my works was inspired by my ideas, and most of the users suggestion/reaction too.

So like i said, let me print all this, and plan the changes for the next version... this was more like "what i learn and improvement of my design skills". You could compare to the others skins i made. So, this one was more like the result of "training". For that, i will continue more with this skins than the others i made... but i will not let those behind either.
Again, thanks for your suggestions KKRT Smiley

PS. Yes, i could make that icon for the default skin (clip button), i have no problem for that, since i made many icons for many plugins allready. I will leave you at your PM my email/aMSN ID to talk about it....

Cheers.

GuS-Arg
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2006, 02:50:43 pm »

Hi people, i've starting to work in the next version of Emerald Skin.
Here a first draft of the buddy Icon:

This was inspired in one buddy icon i saw around in the net. So, still have work to do Smiley

Like always, made with Inkscape.

Auria
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2006, 03:09:53 pm »

good job! IMO these boddy icons look much better than the previous one  Smiley
snipe2004
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2006, 07:42:39 pm »

Eeh, nice ones !!!
I like it, showing the arms !
But I think the arms should be more "visible" --> I explain : At first sight, you don't realize that the buddies are drawn in profile, and you wonder what the hell could those two triangles mean... Then, after one second, you realize of course Wink But I think that you could enhance them a lot if you could make the arms obvious. (What more, in (a)MSN, they'll be displayed in smaller resolutions)
I don't know if this was really clear... Just tell me if you want me to re-explain better ^^

Good work anyway Wink

Voyager 11.10
Fabioamd87
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2006, 08:10:18 pm »

very good Wink

if i can, i suggest to add the background of the new button of voice clip Smiley
GuS-Arg
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2006, 12:29:20 am »

Quote from: "snipe2004"
Eeh, nice ones !!!
I like it, showing the arms !
But I think the arms should be more "visible" --> I explain : At first sight, you don't realize that the buddies are drawn in profile, and you wonder what the hell could those two triangles mean... Then, after one second, you realize of course Wink But I think that you could enhance them a lot if you could make the arms obvious. (What more, in (a)MSN, they'll be displayed in smaller resolutions)
I don't know if this was really clear... Just tell me if you want me to re-explain better ^^

Good work anyway Wink

Yeah Snipe, but you will have good news... With "Beast" we are designing the next default skin!
Please be patience... since we want to concentrate on this.... and maybe you will not see progress of it on the forum, till have a "testing" version ready.
So, maybe that default skin will be the second version of Emerald.
This Buddys are just testing.... i've done what you mean in that post before too, just i didn't uploaded the pics. Always thanks for your feedback, helps me a lot. Smiley

@Fabio: that button that you need i've allready made it. Just i dont want to upload a new version of Emerald skin only for that "new" modificacion, just contact me and i will send you the skin with voice clip button.

Cheers...

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2006, 05:30:01 am »

cool Gus! keep me informed by MSN on the progress of this new default skin...
about the voice clips button, is it blending in with emerald or with default skin ? I asked you to get me one that blends in with the current default skin, could you do that and send it to me so I can upload it to SVN ? thanks!

KaKaRoTo
GuS-Arg
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2006, 12:39:08 pm »

Quote from: "kakaroto"
cool Gus! keep me informed by MSN on the progress of this new default skin...
about the voice clips button, is it blending in with emerald or with default skin ? I asked you to get me one that blends in with the current default skin, could you do that and send it to me so I can upload it to SVN ? thanks!

Yes, i will send you the icon i made for Voice clips. Just wait me till get home Smiley

snipe2004
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2006, 08:11:45 pm »

Quote from: "GuS-Arg"
and maybe you will not see progress of it on the forum, till have a "testing" version ready.
So, maybe that default skin will be the second version of Emerald.

Hey, this is really good news Cheesy Cheesy I'll be patient, don't worry Tongue

Tx for all your work for aMSN (and its users ^^ ) Smiley

Voyager 11.10
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
  Print  

Jump to: