aMSN Forums
July 15, 2018, 07:54:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Complete Newbie tutorial on making TLS work in amsn 0.95  (Read 77052 times)
sammie_114

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2006, 08:27:44 pm »

ok i no u guys have answered these questions before but im still lost..sry..ok i really don't understand linux but i got it about a year ago and for that time now i've been using a very old version of amsn so when the new version came out i figured i would give it a try and so i downloaded it now that i have it everytime i try to sign on it tells me i need something called TLS ? i tried cicking on all the little "systems" but none of them work so i tried to download thetls 1.50 version from the website only when i try to download it i don't know how to get it on my computer?? im so lost with linux..can nebody help..please Huh
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 11:36:07 pm »

Hi,
indeed, it was already answered many times. Now tell me, what linux distribution are you using ? and to get tls installed, I guess you downloaded a .tar.gz binary package, extract it to /usr/lib/tls1.50, make sure you have the files :
/usr/lib/tls1.50/tls.tcl
/usr/lib/tls1.50/pkgIndex.tcl
and either
/usr/lib/tls1.50/libtls1.50.so
or
/usr/lib/libtls1.50.so

if you have debian, try simply typing 'apt-get install tcltls'

if you want the simplest solution, then open the file /usr/share/amsn/autoupdate.tcl with your favorite text editor, search for the word "osdn'
you will find a line similar to this one :
Code:
    set baseurl "http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/amsn/tls1.4.1"

change the 'osdn' into switch and you'll get a line like this :
Code:
    set baseurl "http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/amsn/tls1.4.1"

save the file, then restart amsn, and let it download the tls package and install it for you, it should now be able to do it.

KaKaRoTo
sammie_114

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 12:28:11 am »

i tried to do ur "simplest solution" i opened the file /usr/share/amsn/autoupdate.tcl with my text editor and found "osdn" only my text editor won't let me change it to the word "switch" and i don't know y?
sammie_114

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 12:47:39 am »

and i don't have the file /usr/lib/tls1.50
it's just /usr/lib/tls and once i  click on tht it gives me three folders i486,i586,ans i686
omg im so lost
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 08:16:24 pm »

Hi sammie, I suggest you open the file as root, because you probably can't write to it because it's read-only for normal users.
The easiest way is doing, through a console, as root :
Code:
chmod a+rw /usr/share/amsn/autoupdate.tcl

then try again with your normal user (the above line gives write access to everyone to that file).
I think you should really follow this simple instructions and not try installing tls yourself because you seem to be a real n00b Smiley but don't worry, you'll learn Smiley
btw, you still didn't say which distro you have.

KaKaRoTo
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 09:51:17 pm »

omg, lol...
ok, first, what I told you to do is this.. open a console, switch to 'root', which is a special unix username which has the right to do anything. As a normal user, you don't have the right to write to the file (the file is read-only). As root, type the command I told you to type, then as a normal user, you just edit the file as I said before.
about your distro, it means distribution, it kind of means which version of linux you installed. Is it debian, redhat, fedora core, mandrake, etc...
ps: videotron... canada/quebec ? speak french ?

KaKaRoTo
sammie_114

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 09:53:02 pm »

omg i rly am i n00b i very very lost noob because i have no idea wat u just said..i no..now is the time to *sigh* okok down to the me not understanding ne one this computer lingo stuff...the root rite? i don't know what is don't get mad, i don't know where to put this code thingy..yea the code thingy tht ones confusing
and that distro ..is tht short for distrobuter and in tht case wat is a distrobuter is tht like umm firefox 3 cuz i no i have tht and if it's like wat internet company thingy which it probably isn't but ill write it ne wayz would tht be like videotron lol k i c how i've annoyed u im going to go now
THNX AGAIN
sammie_114

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 10:34:42 pm »

oh no..
im back it's true and still confused....see it's just tht im quite computer illiterate u see and i don't have a clue wat the word "console" means so im like ok i open something and somehow switch tht to something else???!!???!!??
and then i just confuse myslef even more so..i guess the question is wat do u mean by console...and just so u know im not a complete dork i just got someone to put linux on my comp. for me so i have no clue wat im doin..oh and yea im from Montreal,Quebec actually and im english but i guess i kinda understand french, more then computer lingo thts for sure
thnx again for helping me cuz im completly lost when it comes to this pc stuff
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 10:39:57 pm »

ok, I will then suggest you ask your friend to install Windows instead, it will be alot easier for you.. or you could take a few months to learn all the linux basics, because I can't tell you what to do, even if I told you a step by step on how to get a root console, you'd need the root password, if you don't know what root is, then I wonder how you'd understand what a root password is...
go back to windows, I think it's the best advice you can get for now.
p.s: I'm also from Montreal... How can someone live in mtl without speaking french fluently...

KaKaRoTo
sammie_114

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 10:52:21 pm »

i no my root password lol im just wierd like tht i guess umm iunno i speak english to everybody even if their french and they usually understand lol..yea i wish i could get back windows but tht aint gunna happen i guess ill make due somehow
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 11:22:26 pm »

execute a command, type
Code:
xterm
the window that appears is your console, now to switch to root, type
Code:
su -
in the console, it will ask for a password, you type the root password in there, then you'll see somehow that you are root now, so type
Code:
 chmod a+rw /usr/share/amsn/autoupdate.tcl
and the file should be writable for you now, so forget about the console and open it with a graphical text editor and edit it the way I told you above (osdn -> switch), then save, it should save.
you can close your console now...
btw, how did you install amsn ? which package did you download ?

EDIT : btw, to execute a command, try to see how to do it, maybe in your start menu, right clicking on the desktop, or maybe by pressing the keys Alt-F2 which window manager do you use, it probably is either gnome or kde, you should be able to know that by the splash screen when you login to your pc... it's either looks like http://gnome.org or http://kde.org

KaKaRoTo
sammie_114

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 11:47:09 pm »

i'll try..o and i have gnome cuz i see tht all the time sounds very familliar and i chose the package for fedora core 3
sammie_114

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 12:01:24 am »

okok i did the console and root stuff and i changed it from read only to "modefied" and i changed the word "osdn" to "switch" only now it wont let me save  :cry:  i no i have no luck
sammie_114

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 04:15:49 am »

it won't save dood help me SAVE IT
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 06:47:09 am »

lol, sorry, was a bit busy then forgot about this thread..
well, let's keep it step by step, do in a console :
Code:
ls -l /usr/share/amsn/autoupdate.tcl

and paste it to me please...
(you could do a save as, right ? so do a save as, and save the file to your home directory, like /home/sammie/autoupdate.tcl, and as root, do a
Code:
cp /home/sammie/autoupdate.tcl /usr/share/amsn/autoupdate.tcl
to overwrite the file with the modified version. tell me if that works )

KaKaRoTo
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: