aMSN Forums
April 02, 2020, 03:33:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: flame on ruby...  (Read 15055 times)
Elias
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2006, 07:04:16 pm »

just popped out my foolish mind so don't take it too seriously but what about switch to ruby ? it sounds pretty good and i feel like their gonna be a hype for it...

Phil
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 08:36:07 pm »

If we switch to anything other it won't be a scripting language I hope :p
They are too slow... I am sure that aMsn could be 10x faster if it was compiled...

Phil

AMsn is great, and it will be greater :wink:
Elias
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 08:43:00 pm »

Then what?

cuz one main advantage of keeping a simple language is that more people may be able to read and undertand it and sometimes even submit patches or give more accurate bug reports.

kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 09:11:19 pm »

I don't think so Tongue
no matter what the language is, you need to look into the code to figure out a bug, if it's in assembly, or in java, yes, it's a difference, but between C and a scripting language.. the difference is not too huge. What I mean is that, if a user takes the time to read the code and debug, then if he knows the language, he'll be able to find the problem, no matter what language it is. On the other hand, if he gives up too fast, it won't be because of the language, it will be because of the crappy code :p

KaKaRoTo
NoWhereMan
Contributor
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 09:42:18 pm »

well actually api means Application Programming Interface, you can have an API in a script as well Smiley
ruby is way cool, guys Cheesy
if only I had time (and host) I'd destroy my whole php blog and rewrite it all in ruby Smiley
Ruby has nice gtk bindings as well Smiley
In C++ you could use wxWidgets to get it cross platform, but I'm not sure how hard would be make it skinnable...
anyway, too hard work, I suppose; at this time aMsn is huge, and so would be a rewrite from scratch
anyway, python, ruby, could be cool. I don't know exactly of ruby (I think latest release is), but I know for sure that python is compiled into bytecode on runtime Smiley

and... Java sucks Cheesy

NoWhereMan
-- Windows mom: «Finish your veggies! There are processes in Ubuntu that are starving to death!»
-- NoWhereBlog (ita)
-- http://flatpress.sf.net
Phil
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 01:46:20 pm »

Well...
NoWhereMan if you want, you can rewrite aMsn in whatever language you wish but please don't spam the forums...
Trolls aren't welcomed...

Phil

NoWhereMan
Contributor
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2006, 03:35:22 pm »

Quote from: "Phil"
Well...
NoWhereMan if you want, you can rewrite aMsn in whatever language you wish

Why should I?

but please don't spam the forums...

this hurts a little...

Quote from: "NoWhereMan"
anyway, too hard work, I suppose; at this time aMsn is huge, and so would be a rewrite from scratch

No spam was meant. I was just a little OT (not at all). I was not suggesting to rewrite aMsn as you can read above.
but i understand where the misunderstanding could be: "too hard work, I suppose" could be read as ironical, but I assure you I was not at all.
believe me I can understand how hard can be even considering to do a rewrite of such a big app.
i was just chit-chatting

Trolls aren't welcomed...

sure, they're not. I didn't mean to start a flame war. if you thought of me as a troll, probably I didn't express myself as I wanted.
sorry about that.

NoWhereMan
-- Windows mom: «Finish your veggies! There are processes in Ubuntu that are starving to death!»
-- NoWhereBlog (ita)
Phil
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2006, 06:26:27 pm »

Well I replied that because first you begin with Ruby, you continue with C++ and WxWidgets and you fnish by denigrate Java...
Please, it's your opinion (it can be the mine too but here isn't the question) and it's surely not the opinion of others...
In addition, I don't know why such discussion has to do in a such subject...
Use the Whatever.... place to post your things and I won't say anything (except if you begin to insult all others :p)

Phil

NoWhereMan
Contributor
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 08:01:23 pm »

Well I replied that because first you begin with Ruby, you continue with C++ and WxWidgets

stream of consciousness. I was just thinking of what I'd do if I had to choose a programming language.
and i started with my foolishness just because I read Elias talking about ruby (I'm getting excited about ruby and flew away a little with my imagination). I've been took too seriously Wink

and you fnish by denigrate Java...

well, I don't like Java. first of all it's not open, then it lacks a good support on linux distros, and I find its JRE heavy (maybe a little better 1.6Mustang, which I have here, running jEdit. yes, I don't like java, but I like jEdit).
GCJ is not ready, so if I had to choose it wouldn't definitely be my choice. Wink
and btw, I was kidding (as you can see from the smiley)
and... Java sucks Cheesy

even if I don't like it, it doesn't mean it just sucks. it was a joke

Please, it's your opinion (it can be the mine too but here isn't the question) and it's surely not the opinion of others...

Sure! ALL of my posts are ALWAYS in MY opinion. I never intended to make that look like an "I'm the only truth" thing, I was just discussing Wink
As we are all discussing here, I'd just have preferred you rather said, "I don't think so"... or "you're way OT" and I couldn't say anything about it. I'm not talking of "P H 4 R M 4 C Y" or whatever, just programming languages. I can't call it spam. I'm not part of the team developing ruby, nor python Wink

In addition, I don't know why such discussion has to do in a such subject...
Use the Whatever.... place to post your things and I won't say anything

and that's fine. I've already apoligized, I think. if we clarified I'll stop with this ot

(except if you begin to insult all others :p)

I never will.

NoWhereMan
-- NoWhereBlog (ita)
Phil
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 08:34:16 pm »

Well, I think you take it too seriously...
avoid such posts here and that's all :d
(And if I said that it's because someone can be really more rough than me : he will recognize him reading this post :p)
By the way excuse me if you found me too harsh on previous posts it wasn't my intention... I just want to maintain the forum clear...

Phil

NoWhereMan
Contributor
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 07:55:57 am »

And if I said that it's because someone can be really more rough than me : he will recognize him reading this post :p

well, being rough it's not a good way to prepare to someone rougher Wink
anyway, let's stop it here Wink

bye

NoWhereMan
-- NoWhereBlog (ita)
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 04:41:11 am »

lol, he meant me..
but I'm a nice guy now.. right? Smiley
I've been really nice to users for quite a bit now, haven't I ? there's only one stupid bastard who &$$!&!$& but well.. he deserved it Tongue right, gus ? :p

KaKaRoTo
NoWhereMan
Contributor
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 05:36:28 pm »

Quote from: "kakaroto"
lol, he meant me..

I know Cheesy you've been the roughest, but never to me Wink

I've been really nice to users for quite a bit now, haven't I ?

you've almost been Cheesy

there's only one stupid bastard who &$$!&!$& but well.. he deserved it Tongue right, gus ? :p

yes, that's what I meant  :lol:
cool. I have to moderate the moderators.
I'm "watching the watchmen"  Cool lol!

NoWhereMan
-- NoWhereBlog (ita)
Phil
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 06:43:58 pm »

Hehe KaKaRoTo...
You are really calm for much time now !! Congrats Wink
By the way, I think I am quite calm as a moderator...
Maybe some others don't think that ?

Phil

GuS-Arg
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 08:33:35 pm »

Quote from: "kakaroto"
lol, he meant me..
I've been really nice to users for quite a bit now, haven't I ? there's only one stupid bastard who &$$!&!$& but well.. he deserved it Tongue right, gus ? :p

yes! Right! Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: