aMSN Forums
July 23, 2019, 08:59:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New forum for aMSN !!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Msn nick "resets" every time I login (recent error  (Read 39925 times)
cberryboy

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2009, 03:39:36 pm »

Hey I've had this problem since yesterday with both aMSN and Microsoft Messenger so I Imagine its not a problem of the software itself and has to do more with the new characteristics of the microsoft network...
This is what happens: every time I've logged in my nickname is reset to my name in my account (Chuck) so I change it again but when I log off and then in again, its back to the old one. In Microsoft messenger my email is displayed rather than my nickname. So I know its not aMsn's fault but is there any way to resolve this?
thanks

Damian
rewak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:21:03 pm »

I'm having the same problem, everytime i restart aMSN my nickname and all the nicknames of my contacts get reset to the email addresses.
nicolunacba
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 04:30:56 pm »

@rewak: your problem is different. You are having problems with your contact's nicks, and he's having with his nick.
@cberryboy: aMSN uses a service of roaming that "copy your nick" directly from MSN server. That mean if you go to another computer with aMSN, you'll have the same nick, subnick and display picture. As you say, with the Microsoft Messenger you're getting your e-mail adress, that means there are something strange with MSN server.
Anyway, I'll try to find a solution, or create, (I see a lot of people are in the same situation) a plugin that set automatically your nick name when you log in (When you log in the plugin changes automatically your nickname to a pre-set nick or the last nick used). But don't say victory xD. I am in test period in the university, so I'll take long time. Keep searching for solutions. I hope another user in the forum can help. They're smarter than me Tongue

I am a Mac user, but I use it like a Unix system ... Terminal.app for life!
cberryboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 05:23:49 pm »

thanks a lot for the help
i'll keep searching Wink
tegeatis
Power user

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 06:03:37 pm »

Quote from: "rewak"
I'm having the same problem, everytime i restart aMSN my nickname and all the nicknames of my contacts get reset to the email addresses.

same here.
rewak

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:00:51 pm »

Quote from: "nicolunacba"
@rewak: your problem is different. You are having problems with your contact's nicks, and he's having with his nick.

I'm having a problem with BOTH my nick and my contact's nicks, they both reset to email addresses when i restart aMSN
Sajty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 07:04:51 pm »

same problem here (I'm from Hungary)...nick is reseted every login + I have a partner who has put me today on her partner list and aMSN writes that I'm not on her list. :S
but latest WLM can retrieve my nick.(updated today)
I use MSN more than 4 years, never happened thing like this :S
Keep the good work....it's not aMSN bug :)
The auto-nick plugin would be great :)
billiob
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 08:10:43 pm »

what do you mean by "auto-nick"?
Etw

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 08:21:25 pm »

I'm having the same issue here, both my nickname gets set back to my passport account name, and all my offline contacts show their email address rather than their last used nickname.

Guessing this is the same issue as http://www.amsn-project.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7360.

Assuming from the other thread that it's MSN issue so there's not much you can do, but if its any use: I'm in the UK and using 0.99b on both Linux and Windows, and it started happening today.

[EDIT]
As a work around, you can go to http://www.passport.net, sign in, and go to Profile Details -> Edit (Under the Name option) and set your first name to be whatever you want your nickname to be.
[EDIT]
nicolunacba
Super Power User

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 08:31:09 pm »

Quote from: "billiob"
what do you mean by "auto-nick"?

Autonick is the plugin that I'll create soon (I hope Sad ). It'll change automatically your nick when you log in. So, if we log in as, for example me Nicolas, the plugin will change it to the nick I want.

Now, the bug came to Argentina, so I am Nicolás now =(. Fuck you Microsoft!

And yes, I am start thinking the problem is with Roaming of aMSN. The official WLM clients doesn't read the name from MSN server. They saves your nick. MSN is ownding us =(

I am a Mac user, but I use it like a Unix system ... Terminal.app for life!
kakaroto
Administrator
Super Power User

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 09:17:09 pm »

this looks like a server issue everyone is having, hopefully it will get fixed soon by microsoft, be patient, if it's not fixed, then we'll find a workaround for it.

KaKaRoTo
studdyboy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 01:53:35 am »

i'm having the same problem too~

from singapore
binmode

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 02:39:18 pm »

exactly the same problem here
jaimeduende

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 06:52:06 pm »

I'm having the same problem, only with aMSN, and only my aMSN contacts have this same problem.
Viral_99

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 08:35:18 pm »

same here, italy >.< damn...
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: